Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minors report: No quit in Janish

Minors report: No quit in Janish

Minors report: No quit in Janish
    Reds prospect has overcome freak elbow injury
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Fortunes can turn on a dime for a Minor Leaguer, and turn again almost as quick.

Reds infield prospect Paul Janish certainly knows that.

While playing for Class A Dayton on June 8, 2005, Janish (pronounced YAH-nish) was running out a ground ball when a bad throw forced a collision between him and the first baseman. He injured his elbow as a result and needed season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery to replace his ligament.

"The injury was just a freak deal and there was not a whole lot you could do about it," Janish said.

Fortunately for Janish, the injury didn't derail his development. He returned in 2006 and earned two promotions. First, the Houston-area native batted .398 with five homers in 26 games at Dayton. In 91 games at high Class A Sarasota, he batted .278 with nine homers and 55 RBIs. The season ended with a final jump to Double-A Chattanooga.

"All in all, looking back at it, it couldn't have worked out any better," Janish said. "I kind of got back on the map with a solid year. Hopefully, I can do it again."

During the winter, the Reds rewarded the 2004 fifth-round draft pick with a non-roster invite to big-league camp.

"It's kind of cool being around [Alex] Gonzalez and [Juan] Castro and those guys known for being so stellar defensively," Janish said. "I think just being around those guys, you realize the separation is not that big. I don't have any choice but to get better."

On the move: In two games this spring, right-hander Brad Salmon has looked sharp with two scoreless innings. Salmon, who throws in the low-to-mid 90s, has impressed the club with his power stuff and could have a chance to earn a bullpen spot. Salmon pitched at Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville last season and was added to the 40-man roster over the winter.

Name in the game: Former Reds reliever Ted Power is now entering his second season as pitching coach for Triple-A Louisville. Power had a 14-year big league career, including two stints with Cincinnati (1983-87, 1991).

They're No. 1: In his first spring start on Sunday vs. the Pirates, Homer Bailey allowed three earned runs and three hits over two innings. He walked one and struck out one. Bailey was the Reds' first-round draft pick (seventh overall) in 2004.

Class of '06: Shortstop Chris Valaika, the Reds' third-round draft pick last year, batted .324 with eight home runs and 60 RBIs in 70 games with rookie level Billings in his first pro season. Valaika is in Reds Minor League camp for the first time.

What they're saying: "He's been impressive. He's got great hands. He has a true accurate throwing arm. He's made all the plays." -- Reds bench/infield coach Bucky Dent, on Janish's ability in camp.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minors report: No quit in Janish

Gonzalez signed for 3 years. Will Janish be the eventual takeover at SS in 09 with Gonzalez taking a bench/teacher role?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Gonzalez signed for 3 years. Will Janish be the eventual takeover at SS in 09 with Gonzalez taking a bench/teacher role?
    I honestly think this next season will be a big determining factor in whether Janish can be that guy or not. His bat needs to continue to improve. Next season he will be in AA, which is usually the biggest jump that prospects make (from high A). Janish has some good things going for him. He is a very good fielder, which this management loves, and he has always shown great plate discipline (.094 Isolated Discipline). If he can keep up a decent batting average next season and keep showing a little bit of power (isolated power of .135 in the minors, fairly good for a good fielding shortstop) then I think he could well be in line to take over SS in Cincinnati.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Agree. With Janish, it's all about whether he can hit enough. His defense has generally been considered top-shelf from day one.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?