Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been the Chavez Ravine?

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Anyone been the Chavez Ravine?

Got my tickets for the May 11th game in LA. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to get there? Here in Chicago I would say anyone driving to a game was weird but I don't know if LA has a Metra or LART system? Any other advice would be appreciated.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    redsgabp

Re: Anyone been the Chavez Ravine?

just some advice, you might call it dodger stadium so people will know what you are talking about and then maybe they can help you.

i had to google "Chavez Ravine" to see you were talking about dodger stadium.

i guess i could of looked at the schedule for the may 11th game and saw you were talking of LA but it's just easier if you call it dodger stadium.

--------------------------

sorry for my ramblings, i just want you to help me to help me help you. LOL

Where will you be coming from, LR?

I always have driven and if you are staying in DT LA or in Pasadena both of those areas are pretty quick and easy drives. I've seen groups of buses parked at the stadium but I don't know where they come from specificly.

Check the Dodgers web site for parking guidelines under: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la...rk/parking.jsp I didn't see any references to mass transit on the site but maybe I missed it.

Rem

redsgabp:

I would say the vast majority of baseball fans know that the name Chavez Ravine refers to the area that Dodgers Stadium is situated in. If you are not familiar with the history of it you might take the time to read about it. Walter O'Malley (privately) built one of the best ballparks of all time and, even though it's 45 years old, it remains one of the most beautiful settings ever for watching a ballgame. On the Dodgers web site the link to the history page is: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la...rk/history.jsp. You'll see a couple of ties there to our own Cincinnati Reds including the fact that in the first regular season game ever played at Dodger Stadium/Chavez Ravine the Dodgers defeated the Reds 6-2. (Something I had forgotten until I read the page.)

However, you can probably research the history of the park/area on other sites and find a very interesting story of political wheeling and dealing, tradeoffs and so on (that couldn't be done today) as to how the Dodgers acquired the land and how it was an intregal part of moving baseball west of St. Louis.

Rem

PBS also has a special on the history of Chavez Ravine. I haven't seen it but it looks good.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chavezravine/
    School's out. What did you expect?

They call me "chef"

The area surrounding Dodger Stadium isn't the safest, especially at night. If you are planning on taking a public bus there I'd recommend going in a group or during the day.

Personally I'd drive there.

Having been there several times in the last few years for Reds trips to the coast.

Most definitely drive, I suppose there are buses there, but I dont recall ever seeing them. Just be prepared for traffic, especially after the game.

Usually I get there early, park as close to one of the exit gates as possible, so I can get out of the stadium and onto the freeway as quick as possible.....relatively speaking.

Plus I enjoy the exercise on the walk to the stadium.

Dodger Stadium is one of my favorite parks, beautiful setting, friendliest ushers and staff of practically any sports venue Ive ever visited, unbelievably clean and well kept...you would have no idea its going on 50 years old.

Enjoy your trip.

High five!

Howdy

As a former Angelino, I recommend:

1. Driving and leaving early, LA traffic is a bear.

2. For people in LA, the game starts in the 2nd inning and lasts until the 7th.

3. Buying more expensive seats. Try to sit on the field level.

4. That's not the greatest area of town to hang out in but in LA, you're never far away from something to do. There's a great modern Indian restaurant called "Tantra" a mile or so west of the stadium on Sunset.

5. While you're there, consider taking in an Angels game as well. If you can, head on down to San Diego too...the new ballpark there is really cool and the downtown area surrounding it is full of bars, restaurants and shopping.

I was going to be the Chavez Ravine for Halloween but I decided to be a ghost instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

LA is a great stadium. There's plenty of parking if driving there's an option. I strongly recommend getting there early. They let you in for BP so you can grab a Dodger dog and go right down the bottom of the lower deck. The players are 10 feet away. As much as I hated the Dodgers growing up (Baker, Lasorda, Garvey, Cey, Lopes et al.), I have loved every trip I've made to Chavez Ravine.

Thanks for the help. We will be in Ventura for most of the week but will be flying home from LAX so we thought we would stay downtown and then go to a game. From the looks of things driving is our best bet. I just wasn't sure if LA had a subway out to the park, but it doesn't appear so.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    LA ... subway
    You NEVER want to ride the subway in LA!! Didn't you see this movie.

Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    You NEVER want to ride the subway in LA!! Didn't you see this movie.

You mean there's an active volcano under L.A.? Maybe if we put up some concrete barriers and got a bunch of helicopters to dump water on it, the city will be saved.

BTW, Volcano is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I also find it hilarious and highly amusing.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Thanks for the help. We will be in Ventura for most of the week but will be flying home from LAX so we thought we would stay downtown and then go to a game. From the looks of things driving is our best bet. I just wasn't sure if LA had a subway out to the park, but it doesn't appear so.
    Ventura eh?

I suggest you drive up to Santa Barbara (if you haven't already planned on it) well worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ventura eh?

I suggest you drive up to Santa Barbara (if you haven't already planned on it) well worth the trip.
    Actually we are going to spend the first couple of days in Santa Barbara, my Sister in law is graduating from Westmont. We are staying at a family friends place on the beach in Ventura. Then I think we are going to hit up some of the Sideways wineries.

Turn Off Ads?