Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training 07 - Good hit, good pitch

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Spring Training 07 - Good hit, good pitch

The Reds' undefeated spring so far is interesting in that Narron has been playing the question marks more than the starters. When the starters have played, they've knocked the cover off the ball. Interestingly enough, Bubba Crosby, Chris Denorfia, and Josh Hamilton have received the most at bats while Adam Dunn and Alex Gonzalez have received the least. I know these statistics mean little or nothing, but it's interesting to see how we've started.

Code:
    Player      AB     R     H     BI

Freel                     5                  2              2               0
    Phillips                   8                  2              3               4
    Encarnacion            6                  1              2               1
    Dunn                     3                  2              2                1
    Gonzalez                4                  0              2                1
    Ross                      8                 0               1                2
    Hatteberg               7                 3               4                4

Starters                 41                8              16               13

Votto                      9                5                4                3
    Crosby                   11                6                4                3
    Wise                       5                0                 1               1
    Denorfia                 12                1                 3               2
    Moeller                    6                1                 1               1
    Valentin                  2                 0                 0               0
    Belhorn                   6                 1                 3               3

Reserves                51                14               16             13
    We haven't seen Conine yet, which is surprising. Scoring 38 runs in four games is averaging over 9 a game while the pitching has a line that looks like 36 innings, allowing 36 hits, 14 runs, 11 earned, 12 walks, and 18 K's. The 2.75 ERA is great.

Of course this is spring training and means absolutely nothing, but an average score of 9-4 is an eye-opener. It makes the optimistic nature of spring training all the more optimistic, at least for me.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 03-05-2007 at 01:05 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training 07 - Good hit, good pitch

While it is nice to see - I listened to the Saturday game and 25 hit attack - pitching is always behind. Especially at this early stage of ST. Which was why I was impressed with Harang on Saturday.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

We haven't seen Conine yet, which is surprising.
    Conine's young back is hurt.

Makes all the routine posts.

Hamilton, Denorfia, and Crosby lead the team in at-bats so far. The OF competition is heating up.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Hamilton, Denorfia, and Crosby lead the team in at-bats so far. The OF competition is heating up.
    I've noticed the same; competition is a good thing!

I think it's far too early to make any decisions regarding either a specific player, or the team in general. But, it certainly is nicer to see the Reds leading the Grapefruit League in hitting right now, than in last place. And the pitching has been solid thus far, too.

But really, spring training means nothing. Or does it? A hot spring can carry over into the season- the Reds did it last year, and the strong start kept them in contention until mid- Spetember. Momentum is exactly that- momentum- especially for a young team that has struggled to learn how to win. For established teams like the Yanks or BoSox, ST games mean very little, other than a chance to sharpen up for the season.

I'll give Wk credit for this much: I think the Reds are a deeper team than they have been in the past. There is definitely more competition for spots, and fewer mediocre players know that they have spots sewn up already. I guess what I'm saying is that the Reds have more mediocre players (rather than marginal or bad players) than they've had in the past. I think that's a good thing, a step in the right direction, rather than us debating if Machado or Olmedo was ready to step and play in the big leagues.

The other positive thing is that the talented young guys are one step closer to competing for spots. I think Hamilton has made the team, already (perhaps at Denorfia's expense, and I am a Denorfia fan). I think Bailey and Votto will both be with the team by the All Star break.

Things are looking up, I really think so.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Scoring 38 runs in four games is averaging over 9 a game while the pitching has a line that looks like 36 innings, allowing 36 hits, 14 runs, 11 earned, 12 walks, and 18 K's. The 2.75 ERA is great.

Of course this is spring training and means absolutely nothing, but an average score of 9-4 is an eye-opener. It makes the optimistic nature of spring training all the more optimistic, at least for me.
    I agree that the ST numbers mean next to nothing, however, if the offense was barely squeeking out a run or two a game would we be saying the same things (ie. ST numbers don't matter). I think RZ would be freaking out and the Wayne flooging would go into high gear. I think it's a great morale boost for the team to start out strong. The vets are smart enough to know this likely woln't continue much longer - ride the wave and have some fun with it. Heck, maybe the confidence will last a while and they'll have another huge April that carries them a while.

That asside, I agree 100% that with the first few games it has taken optimisim to a new high. I purposly didn't listen to the game yesterday and avoided RZ all day simply so I could temper the enthusiasm with some reality and cool my jets a bit.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-05-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'll give Wk credit for this much: I think the Reds are a deeper team than they have been in the past. There is definitely more competition for spots, and fewer mediocre players know that they have spots sewn up already. I guess what I'm saying is that the Reds have more mediocre players (rather than marginal or bad players) than they've had in the past. I think that's a good thing, a step in the right direction, rather than us debating if Machado or Olmedo was ready to step and play in the big leagues.
    Agree 100%. While I'd like to go from choosing amoung marginal players to choosing between all stars, sometimes you just have to improve step by step. If we can pick and choose amoung average players instead of stiching together a team from "maybes" and "might possiblies" that's advancement.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?