Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Health: What Vitamins and Natural Herbs Do You Take?

Re: For Health: What Vitamins and Natural Herbs Do You Take?

This is all I take. It supposedly has something that helps decrease the risk of prostate problems.

2. Turn Off Ads?

an iron-free multivitamin
    biotin
    b-complex
    calcium & magnessium
    zinc
    oil of oregano
    olive leaf extract
    one whole garlic clove
    grape seed extract
    vitamin C
    creatine
    amino acids
    fish liver oil
    green tea
    honey
    omega fatty acids

now if only my diet resembled my vitamins and herbs.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes. If you really want to freak out some people here, try Wal-Mart.
    It's where I got mine. Same brands, yet far cheaper then going across the street to the GNC store.

A buddy of mine also takes acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus) which is a friendly inhabitant of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It, as well as some related strains of bacteria, is known as a probiotic. Probiotic organisms secrete enzymes that support healthy digestion.

Our intestinal flora helps regulate our digestion and stool patterns. Yeast also lives in our intestines. The yeast and the bacterial flora are constantly competing for space, and generally they keep each other in check. Sometimes, however, our bacterial flora can get depleted, such as when taking antibiotics. This allows the yeast to overgrow, which can then lead to a variety of problems:
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I drink a lot of tea (hot and iced)... but not herbal teas. Also cannot stand the taste of green tea (which is good for you). Always drink tea w/o sugar (no artifical sweetners as well).

Otherwise I'm in pretty good shape and I've lost 15 pounds last month. Had a scare last month when my regular mammogram showed up abnormal, but another specialized mammogram and ultrasound showed up negative.

The hardest part in keeping fit and healthy is that I HATE to exercise and I have a hard time drinking lots of water.

Rarely drink alcohol - my biggest vice is chocolate (any kind) and pizza... two things among others that I've given up for Lent.

If you drink Earl Grey tea, you might like Bigelow's Earl Grey Green Tea. It's got that natural oil of bergamot flavor, which makes it taste less green tea-ish.

I like iced teas, also...unsweetened...with a piece of fresh mint (my favorite) or slice of lemon.

As you probably know, a bit of dark chocolate can be good for you, evidently. I usually eat a small piece of Dove dark or a bite of good single-origin chocolate every day. Helps take care of sweet tooth but less calories than cookies, etc.
    teach tolerance.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I take a multi-vitamin, Move-Free(glucosomin/chondroitin), I drink a black tea called PG Tips (from England), and I eat yogurt every day which contains L. Acidophilus. I eat chocolate, drink alcohol, coffee, and caffienated soft-drinks sporadically...less than every day, but more than once per week.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Our intestinal flora helps regulate our digestion and stool patterns. Yeast also lives in our intestines. The yeast and the bacterial flora are constantly competing for space, and generally they keep each other in check. Sometimes, however, our bacterial flora can get depleted, such as when taking antibiotics. This allows the yeast to overgrow, which can then lead to a variety of problems:

TMI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    If you drink Earl Grey tea, you might like Bigelow's Earl Grey Green Tea. It's got that natural oil of bergamot flavor, which makes it taste less green tea-ish.

I like iced teas, also...unsweetened...with a piece of fresh mint (my favorite) or slice of lemon.

As you probably know, a bit of dark chocolate can be good for you, evidently. I usually eat a small piece of Dove dark or a bite of good single-origin chocolate every day. Helps take care of sweet tooth but less calories than cookies, etc.
    Unfortunately, Earl Grey is one of regular teas that I'm not fond of... Tho' a co-worker swears by Bigelow's Green Tea with Lemon - so I might have to try that.

I luv dark chocolate and Walgreen's a couple weeks ago had some of the special dark on sale - got a couple bars.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

i take a multi vitamin everyday, along with some omega 3 softgels...i routinely eat foods with tomatoes, olive oil and garlic, so don't get too close

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    TMI.
    Sorry. I got that off a medical website. Maybe I should have said that it acts like Drano and helps to keep the pipes free flowing by preventing plugging and sludge buildup?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I've read there are few, if any, benefits to supplements?

I don't take any.

I don't smoke, I exercise, and I drink tons of tea of all kinds.

But let's face it, genetics is what's going to catch up to all of us. If the folks had it, chances are, so will you. So get the parts checked which your parents failed to properly monitor.

Some prostate cancer and a couple of heart attacks in my family history--I'm leaning towards heart problems in my case; tall guys tend to have cardiopulmonary issues.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I used to take Solyent Green, until I read the ingredients.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've read there are few, if any, benefits to supplements?

I don't take any.

I don't smoke, I exercise, and I drink tons of tea of all kinds.

But let's face it, genetics is what's going to catch up to all of us. If the folks had it, chances are, so will you. So get the parts checked which your parents failed to properly monitor.

Some prostate cancer and a couple of heart attacks in my family history--I'm leaning towards heart problems in my case; tall guys tend to have cardiopulmonary issues.
    I totally subscribe to this basic theory. my addendum to it is: listen to your body. All of these theories of certain kinds of diets, certain kinds of vitamins, and people never learn how to pay attention to themselves. I know when I'm hungry and I can usually tell what I need to eat -- when I need vegetables and when I need carbohydrates. I have a ton of energy and I try to get it out during the day and I need good food to do that. When I've taken vitamins, I've never really noticed a difference; I think the best vitamins and supplements are in food. I walk everywhere I can and I eat an apple every day. Those are my two constants. And I'm incredibly healthy (knock on wood) -- haven't been sick once, actually, since I quit smoking over a year and a half ago. Smoking was the worst. I could feel how badly my body reacted to it, much worse than it does to alcohol.

So there are all my fabulous health and living secrets. Pay attention to your family history, pay attention to yourself, and pay attention to common sense. I'm pretty young so I'll have to read up a bit more as I get older, but I hope I'll be able to pretty much stick with that.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I agree that supplements are probably not all that needed when you are 40 or younger.

But bad, bad things start to happen to your body when you hit your mid 40's. Bad. As bad as Bob Boone managing the Reds bad.

Now, maybe it's a placebo effect, but I don't think I can placebo myself into growing fingernails that no longer split and hair that no longer falls out.

And after my mom started taking Omega 3, her cardiologist took her off one of her meds.

So enjoy youth and the need to not have stock in One A Day as long as you can.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I take a multi-vitamin and a B-complex every day. The B-complex greatly reduces the number mosquito bites I get in the summer.
    B complex is my happy pill. I think it gives you better spirits/energy.

It also makes you pee chartreuse ...... which is fun for a few laughs.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Barley hops and tobacco smoke.

Turn Off Ads?