Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A breath of fresh air

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

A breath of fresh air

Since I arrived here at RZ I have noticed that there is a handfull of posters who no matter what the topic, like to rain on the parade with negative comments about the team and it's players. I thought it would be nice to start a thread where you know for sure you can read an uplifting post or two on even the worst of road trips. I'll start it with:

The Reds are 4-0 and are in a 6 way tie for the best record in baseball. They are also averaging 9.5 runs per game while onlY giving up 3.5 runs per game. World series here we come

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A breath of fresh air

I have only a few post here, but been reading the forum for quite some time. I have to agree with you and that we need some more posts that show that hope always begins in the spring.

What I am excited about as a Red's fan:

1. Josh Hamilton (nuff said)
    2. Adam Dunn's new batting approach
    3. Peter Gammons picking the Reds as the surprise team in the NL. Although he also called Narron a coaching genius. Perhaps some ill effect of his stroke.

What I am not excited about:

1. Eric Milton (nuff said)
    2. All those trade Dunn post.
    3. Another late west coast road trip.

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

A breath of fresh air?.... the Red's giving Josh Hamilton a chance and Josh making the most of it.
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

I'm happy the Reds are playing well in exhibition baseball, it never can be a bad thing to be winning games. However, these games really don't mean much, it's just a chance for the veterans to get ready and the younger guys to hopefully make a splash and impress someone. While it would be a great start, I wouldn't be all that incredibly excited if the Reds were 4-0 to start the regular season. Basically, I'm just saying, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm always optimistic this time of year, it just comes natural. Everybody thinks they have a chance, but I think excitement over 4 games in March is a little over the top.

Here is what I am excited about
    1.Hamilton - can he?
    2. Arroyo and Harang - two legit starters
    3. Competition - there is more quality competition for the reds rotation than there has been for years.
    4. Baily and Votto - Finally 2 legit prospects in AAA that can come up and make a difference
    5. Jr. - I still like going to the ball park and watching him play. I dont care if he isn't what he was, I still enjoy watching him play.
    6. No LaRue, McCracken, Wolmack - No guys who are taking up a roster spot who can't contribute.

Things Im not excited about
    1. 3 catchers - Didn't the reds learn from last year
    2. Freel playing every day - He cant do it and Deno isn't given a shot to show what he can do.
    3. Milton - Cut bait?
    4. Narron - Can he possibly overmanage even more this year?

Well let me spread my sunshine then

1. Hamilton-never did I think after a long lay off would he be this good
    2. Votto-impressive, would love to see him up with the Reds
    3. Bullpen-so far the pen has looked sharp, I like the Salmon and Coffey 1,2 punch
    4.Dunn-In shape and ready to go. Great attitude this spring
    5.Pitching-nice competition so far for the 4 and 5 spots
    6.mix-nice mix of youth and veterans

There would seem to be a lot more depth than in recent years. If Milton/Lohse/Saarloos doesn't work out there are other options. Same is true in the pen even if the arms don't have dominating stuff.

I would still like to see the Reds pick up another OF bat(Hairston of Arz would be nice) and a relief arm(the Indians have a stockpile)
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

I was actually stripped rep points for starting this. Proves my point that some people can't help but be negative. I'll stop there in fear of getting dinged again.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    I have only a few post here, but been reading the forum for quite some time. I have to agree with you and that we need some more posts that show that hope always begins in the spring.

What I am excited about as a Red's fan:

1. Josh Hamilton (nuff said)
    2. Adam Dunn's new batting approach
    3. Peter Gammons picking the Reds as the surprise team in the NL. Although he also called Narron a coaching genius. Perhaps some ill effect of his stroke.

What I am not excited about:

1. Eric Milton (nuff said)
    2. All those trade Dunn post.
    3. Another late west coast road trip.

I missed what Gammon's said....was there anything else...he always seems to be proclaiming "this is the year Jr. Griffey will be back!"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I missed what Gammon's said....was there anything else...he always seems to be proclaiming "this is the year Jr. Griffey will be back!"
    Gammons does pump the Reds up quite often in the preseason.

I am just excited abotu the season as a whole, but I am every year, every time the weather starts to get nice again, you know hardball is around the corner. I like the Reds chances this year, the new guys, the returners, the unknowns......It is a good mix, and goign to be a fun year! Now, play ball!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It wasn't really in depth. He just said that if Harrang and Arroyo are just as reliable and we can get some wins out of the back of the rotation the Reds will win the division going away. He complimented the improved defense and was excited by Dunns approach to this season (in shape and new hitting coach)

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I am just excited abotu the season as a whole, but I am every year, every time the weather starts to get nice again, you know hardball is around the corner. I like the Reds chances this year, the new guys, the returners, the unknowns......It is a good mix, and goign to be a fun year! Now, play ball!!!!!
    close to springtime ... Reds baseball ... optimism for the season

They just all go together
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    I was actually stripped rep points for starting this. Proves my point that some people can't help but be negative. I'll stop there in fear of getting dinged again.
    Don't worry about rep points, just keep making threads that people like to post in. I thought that this topic was relevant due to the fact that the Reds are off to a good start. It is great to be optimistc in the spring.

We ain't the pirates
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?