Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Billy Packer the biggest tool in college basketball?

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Is Billy Packer the biggest tool in college basketball?

Absolutely 110%

2. Turn Off Ads?

No doubt it was intentional why would coach K call a timeout with a minute or so to go. I'm sure it was a pride check for the team and the coach. Henderson unfortunately took it to far, and broke the kids nose.

As far as why was he in the game, to me that's just blame the victim mentality. North Carolina was clinching the Reg season championship the kids deserve to be on the court to celebrate that accomplishment.

Can anyone imagine both Packer and Vitale calling a Duke game together. It would be a Coach K lovefest.

You mean Billy pACCer?

To Packer I say this:

It's Percy Harvin. Not Percy Harvins.

It's Chris Richard. Not Cliff Richards.

I must "pile on" here - I cannot stand Packer. I cannot believe how revered he is in some circles. I swear it seems he has lost a ton of knowledge over the last 10 years or so.

Vitale I must admit I like. He goes overboard with stuff, and I still find it hard to forgive his Lawrence Funderburke comment from many years ago, but in general I like the guy and his enthusiasm for the game and for life. Packer strikes me as a bitter dude. But I could be wrong about him personally of course.

As for the call - I thought it was pretty blatant. That motion did not seem at all "basketball natural" to me. Whether it was "out of frustration" or not, it still sure seemed intentional and vicious.

And to me the point of whether Hansbrough should have been in the game or not should not even be brought up. That whole line of thinking makes me furious. He was on NC's team, was eligible presumably, and had not fouled out so he can be on the floor anytime during the game. Not that a coach needs any more reason to play someone, but there are many other potential reasons besides those obvious ones as to why a starter might be playing at that time.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Coach K: "If he hadn't been on the court this wouldn't have happened."

Stay classy, coach krycheatsky, keep filming those AmEx recruiting videos/commercials.

If you can't tell, I really hate Duke.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Coach K: "If he hadn't been on the court this wouldn't have happened."
    Wow, did he really say that? Two wrongs make a right in Coach K's world? I thought he had more class than that. Two wrongs, but one of them is a lot more serious than the other. As in a broken bone in the face.

I never liked Duke either, but I have always respected Coach K. He seemed to be a decent type. That statement really bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Wow, did he really say that? Two wrongs make a right in Coach K's world? I thought he had more class than that. Two wrongs, but one of them is a lot more serious than the other. As in a broken bone in the face.

I never liked Duke either, but I have always respected Coach K. He seemed to be a decent type. That statement really bugs me.
    Character is revealed in times of adversity, such as the season that Duke is enduring. It's easy to be classy when you're ranked #1 and everything is going well.
    Last edited by macro; 03-07-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that Hansbrough doesn't think it was intentional. I wonder if he saw the replay?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Just heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that Hansbrough doesn't think it was intentional. I wonder if he saw the replay?
    He's being diplomatic. They could still play again in the ACC tourney or the NCAA. And Tyler will be back next year (as will Henderson).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

To answer the original question:

When it comes to being annoying, there is Dick Vitale, and then there is everyone else.

A couple years ago, I caught an old ACC tourney game ('83?) on ESPN Classic where Vitale was doing the color. This was back in the early days of ESPN. It was bizarre - Vitale was subdued, and only adding commentary / analysis that was relevant to the game.

It was actually one of the better jobs I'd heard in a long time. But somewhere in the late 80s he lost it (not unlike lots of other folks at ESPN) and got the horrible notion in his head that people were tuning in to hear him & his schtick rather than the game at hand.

I'm not a techie guru, but I've heard that if you have a surround sound set up with your tv, the audio from some games is actually broadcast over multiple channels. One channel carries the sounds from the game (squeakers on the floor, the bounding ball, etc) and the other one carries the broadcast team. With the right setup you can get all the sounds of the game without the annoying babble from the broadcast team.

Hmm, 15Fan, actually the original question was who is the biggest tool.

The question of who's the most annoying is just one small part of judging the spectrum of overall "toolishness."

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post

I watched the replay - sans sound - and at first, it sure looked intentional. Looking at the replay at first made it look intentional but looking at a second replay I saw Henderson winding up to block the shot with his arm fully extended. Then when the ball came loose, it appeared Henderson bent his arm because he saw the ball came loose. Unfortunately when he did that his elbow was extended and Hansbrough ran right into it.

Oh, and Packer is a complete tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think the term intentional is a fuzzy issue anyway.

Gerald Henderson clearly intended to foul Hansborough as hard as he could and not allow any "easy baskets."
    When the ball got stripped Henderson had already committed and could do nothing other than collide with Hansborough.

It was reckless, but in the way driving 50 MPH in a 35 is reckless.
    Generally nothing major comes of it, in this case he broke Hansborough's nose.

The officials were right to eject him. He should sit out a game, maybe two.
    But lets not act like Gerald Henderson should be held up on assault charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?