Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Billy Packer the biggest tool in college basketball?

Re: Is Billy Packer the biggest tool in college basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think the term intentional is a fuzzy issue anyway.

Gerald Henderson clearly intended to foul Hansborough as hard as he could and not allow any "easy baskets."
    When the ball got stripped Henderson had already committed and could do nothing other than collide with Hansborough.

It was reckless, but in the way driving 50 MPH in a 35 is reckless.
    Generally nothing major comes of it, in this case he broke Hansborough's nose.

The officials were right to eject him. He should sit out a game, maybe two.
    But lets not act like Gerald Henderson should be held up on assault charges.
    Excellent points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

To answer the original question: Yes, Billy Packer is the biggest tool in college bball. An interesting note, however: most Duke fans I know feel the same way about Packer. Those who hate Duke tend to want to think that, but he's just as bitter about Duke as the next person. He is an ACC apologist but he doesn't have any extra love for Duke. Duke rejected him in their recruitment back in the stone age and he went to Wake Forest as an alternative.

As for the foul...Coach K, Henderson, Coach Williams, Hansbrough, Frasor, Danny Green and Reyshawn Terry all concurred that the foul was not intentional. Hansbrough went so far as to say there was no bad blood and Williams called Henderson a "great kid".

Finally, to give a little more context to one of the other remarks, Coach K's comment about not having Hansbrough in the game came right before he also said he shouldn't have had Henderson in the game. He said both teams probably should have had their walk-ons in.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    To answer the original question: Yes, Billy Packer is the biggest tool in college bball. An interesting note, however: most Duke fans I know feel the same way about Packer. Those who hate Duke tend to want to think that, but he's just as bitter about Duke as the next person. He is an ACC apologist but he doesn't have any extra love for Duke. Duke rejected him in their recruitment back in the stone age and he went to Wake Forest as an alternative.

As for the foul...Coach K, Henderson, Coach Williams, Hansbrough, Frasor, Danny Green and Reyshawn Terry all concurred that the foul was not intentional. Hansbrough went so far as to say there was no bad blood and Williams called Henderson a "great kid".

Finally, to give a little more context to one of the other remarks, Coach K's comment about not having Hansbrough in the game came right before he also said he shouldn't have had Henderson in the game. He said both teams probably should have had their walk-ons in.
    Maybe I heard this incorrectly, since I didn't see the game, but I thought I heard reports that with just under a minute in the game, Coach K put Henderson in the game with the intent to go foul someone, almost like John Cheney did at Temple a couple of years back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really thought Coach K put Henderson in as an enforcer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think the term intentional is a fuzzy issue anyway.

Gerald Henderson clearly intended to foul Hansborough as hard as he could and not allow any "easy baskets."
    When the ball got stripped Henderson had already committed and could do nothing other than collide with Hansborough.

It was reckless, but in the way driving 50 MPH in a 35 is reckless.
    Generally nothing major comes of it, in this case he broke Hansborough's nose.

The officials were right to eject him. He should sit out a game, maybe two.
    But lets not act like Gerald Henderson should be held up on assault charges.
    I agree with that. When thinking about it some more, the fact that, like I said, it did not appear to eb a "basketball natural" move is probably explained as you are saying.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Maybe I heard this incorrectly, since I didn't see the game, but I thought I heard reports that with just under a minute in the game, Coach K put Henderson in the game with the intent to go foul someone, almost like John Cheney did at Temple a couple of years back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really thought Coach K put Henderson in as an enforcer.
    No, I very seriously doubt it. If this was the case, there would be a firestorm of controversy like you wouldn't believe. If you heard it, it was pure speculation I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I'm pretty positive that Henderson had been in the game for a while.

As for the foul. I agree with others that Henderson was frustrated and intended to foul Hansbrough very hard, mostly as to not give up an easy dunk. I have no problem with him giving a nice hard foul in that situation, I was taught not to give up easy dunks or layups, make 'em earn it. Unfortunately for Henderson the ball came loose before he got there and ended blasting Hansbrough in the nose. I think it deserved a flagrant foul, but I don't think he should have been ejected.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Coach K took a time-out almost immediately preceding the foul on Hansborough. Someone who saw the game will have to chime in as to whether or not Henderson was a sub during that time-out, but I find it more than a little interesting that Coach K called a time-out with that little amount of time remaining and the foul just so happened to occur seconds afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Coach K took a time-out almost immediately preceding the foul on Hansborough. Someone who saw the game will have to chime in as to whether or not Henderson was a sub during that time-out, but I find it more than a little interesting that Coach K called a time-out with that little amount of time remaining and the foul just so happened to occur seconds afterwards...
    I would imagine that during that time out he instructed them not to give up any dunks or lay-ups. He probably told them to give a good hard foul, which is what Henderson's foul would have most likely been if the ball had not come loose from Hansbrough. I think a lot of coaches would have done the same, and I don't have a problem with it.

And I saw the game and I'm pretty sure that Henderson was already in, but I can't remember with 100% certainty.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I can't remember either, but in any case, Coach K wouldn't have likely used Henderson as a thug anyways. The kid is the best friend of Wayne Ellington..a freshman...and by all accounts a wonderful young man. He has also been one of Duke's best players the past two games and had been perhaps their MVP to that point in this game. He woulda been a heck of a strange choice to rough someone up.

I heard a call-in fan one time ask him if his middle name was "Fudge".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?