Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Zambrano GUARANTEES the Cubs will win the World Series...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Carlos Zambrano GUARANTEES the Cubs will win the World Series...

...according to SportsCenter.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-05-2007 at 07:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Zambrano GUARANTEES the Cubs will win the World Series...

I just saw that too. I really think they are going to be a good team this year. They definitely have the fire power, especially with a guy like Zambrano returning on a near Cy Young year. Don't forget that Soriano is part of our division now too. I seriously think that they are going to be a front runner this year. I hope that I'm wrong though.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

They finish third.

I can't help but think..

Marquis bombs horrible.
    Lily bombs..but not as bad as Marquis.

Miller gets hurt, Wood gets hurt...Prior gets hurt...

Once again the "Big Z" is left standing...
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

They can't win it this year...that would ruin all their 2008 plans for celebrating the 100 year anniversary of that last time they won anything!

Did he say WHICH world series??? The 2025 one? Oh wait, he's on the cubs, the 2279 one?

Piniella on his Cubs: `There's a lot of work to be done'

See THIS LINK for the following AP story:

By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
    March 5, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) -- Lou Piniella had seen just four, winless exhibition games and had been managing his latest challenge for just three weeks.

But that glimpse was disturbing enough for Piniella to demand during a team meeting Monday morning that his Chicago Cubs change their play immediately.

"We got into it a bit," Piniella said upon arriving at the Peoria Sports Complex for an exhibition game against Seattle.

As he spoke, a 20-something man stood in the first row behind the dugout wearing a dark blue T-shirt with the Cubs' logo printed on the front under the words "Why Not Us?"

Why not yet?

"We've got some work to do. This is not some push-button operation," Piniella said, chuckling. "I'm starting to figure that out.

"(The meeting) was positive -- but we want some things done here. We want to see things done the right way, so we can get ready."

Piniella signed a three-year contract last October worth nearly $10 million, with an option for a fourth year, to come out of the broadcast booth and bring the Cubs their first World Series championship since 1908. Then Chicago committed $296 million to 10 free agents, including $136 million to outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

The first week of this latest new Cubs era has brought three exhibition defeats by a combined 31-10, plus a 10-inning tie. On Sunday, the Cubs lost 13-2 to the rival White Sox.

Even though it's early in spring training, Piniella wants changes in all areas of performance. Now.

"I didn't know what the talent level was here," Piniella said of a team that went 66-96 last season. "I'm learning the talent level here ... and I'm beginning to recognize there's a lot of work to be done.

"I didn't talk about wins and losses. I talked about how I expect them to play when the umpire says 'Play Ball.' "

He had an early message to his players, one that he hopes changes the tone of Chicago's spring training.

"You know what? You want a job?" Piniella said. "Go out and earn one."
    Updated on Monday, Mar 5, 2007 4:09 pm EST
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

the cubs are easy to pick on. IMO with the fire power and sweet lou running the show they should contend all year.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Does this mean the Reds are going to cancel the season and refund season tickets now??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    the cubs are easy to pick on. IMO with the fire power and sweet lou running the show they should contend all year.
    That didn't help the Mariners his last year there.

People talk about the Reds pitching but, aside from Zambrano who do the Cubs have at the top of their rotation? Because Wood and Prior are as unreliable as they come. People talk about Juniors injuries, Wood and Prior are actually worse the last few years!

Old Red Guard Reject

Sweet Lou = Overrated
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel View Post
    That didn't help the Mariners his last year there.

People talk about the Reds pitching but, aside from Zambrano who do the Cubs have at the top of their rotation? Because Wood and Prior are as unreliable as they come. People talk about Juniors injuries, Wood and Prior are actually worse the last few years!
    Marquis
    Hill
    Lilly
    Prior
    Wood
    Miller
    Guzman
    Marshal
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

As I constantly say here, I hate the Cubs. Now with that disclaimer out of the way, let me just state on the record that they will not win the WS this year, nor will they make the playoffs. And the Reds will finish higher than the Cubs this year, Sweet Lou or no Sweet Lou.
    Win the Division

I don't know if today's players, especially big ticket players, will respond to Lou's fire and brimstone. If they do, the Cubs will be tough.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

yea right
    cubs suck and so does zambrano
    harang is a whole lot better

Quote Originally Posted by CINCYREDS#1 View Post
    yea right
    cubs suck and so does zambrano
    harang is a whole lot better
    Zambrano is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Turn Off Ads?