Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stark on Harang

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Stark on Harang

From Jason Stark on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...t&lid=tab3pos1

Maybe if he'd only led the league in strikeouts (with 216, in 234 1/3 IP), we could understand. But he also tied for the lead in wins, with 16. And history tells us it's almost impossible to pull off that daily double without generating some monstrous buzz.

Unless your name is Aaron Harang, that is.

Since the invention of the Cy Young Award in 1956, every pitcher who led the National League in both of those categories won the Cy Young (11 of them in a row). But boy, did Harang ever screw up that trend.

How close did he come to winning last year's Cy Young? Well, let's put it this way: He missed by one vote …

Of even getting a vote.
    Did Harang deserve the Cy Young last year? Not by my estimation. But from the people who gave the award to Bartolo Colon over Johan Santana in 2005, this is pretty damning evidence that award voting should not be a function of the media. Market size bias runs hard and deep.

Then again, "Who" could almost be Harang's unofficial last name. For instance, here's the complete list of NL pitchers who have led the league in both wins and whiffs in the past 50 years: Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Dwight Gooden, Steve Carlton (three times), Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax (three times), Don Drysdale and … Aaron Harang.
    Again, I know wins and strikeouts aren't the best measurement of "the best" pitcher. But just try to give me a reason why Harang got so jobbed without talking about media bias.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-05-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stark on Harang

Very impressive. I had no idea. And to think some on here were calling him a good number two starter last year, but not an ace.

Can he be stopped?
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Stark on Harang

D'oh. Well, this thread is a bit more digestible. That's what I get for working non-stop on the weekend....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?