Thread: Horrible Movies You Find Entertaining

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Horrible Movies You Find Entertaining

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
    Can't Hardly Wait

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    My wife thinks Mars Attacks is a horrible movie.

I think it's excellent.

Same here.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't think it's out on DVD. I recorded it off a movie channel with my DVR. I can try to burn it to a DVD for you if you'd like.

It's utterly hilarious. If you have trouble finding it, I have it on VHS and could probably make you a copy.
    I have to watch it again (have it on VHS). Crude, but hilarious!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
    Yes!

Super Troopers

Showgirls is so bad it's fun. This will cheese off M2, but while it's possible that Paul Verhoeven set out to make a satire of trash cinema, what ended up on the screen was pure dreck.

Verhoeven has made other good, trashy movies that also managed to be wryly satirical -- the first two Robocop films and Starship Troopers are great examples -- but Showgirls plays it way too straight. You can't write a by-the-numbers Harlequin romance novel and claim it's a satire of romance novels.

But, as unintentionally bad cinema, Showgirls is still worth a few laughs.
    It's an almost perfect lampoon of American trash culture. No reason to make jokes about something that is a joke. It wouldn't be half as absurd if you consciously played it for yucks.

Plus, Verhoeven understands absurdity too well. That's the dead giveaway. He got everybody but himself to treat the film seriously. Genius.

It works if you view it the way you do as well. That's why it's such a great movie. I imagine there's also those lost souls who view it as a compelling drama about a hardscrabble girl trying to make it in Vegas -- the very notion that a chunk of people have watched this film and seen nothing wrong with it I find utterly hilarious.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It like a perfect storm of 80's schlock -- mullets, karate, gratuitous nudity, monster trucks, and no plot whatsoever.
    Wait a minute...

Are you suggesting that a local business barron taking over a town where apparently no law enforcement exists within 1,500 miles, a bouncer that everybody across the country knows by name, and a town where there is enough people to fill a gigantic bar but not enough people to pave the streets is somehow....not plausable?

Where the nice-guy bar owner has enough cash to pay Dalton anything he wants, plus pour scads of cash into totally renovating the Double Duce, but he can't kick in a few bucks of protection money? Or better yet, move to a different town where he can run his club free from Big Bad Brad. This is somehow odd?

Or the idea that despite this town having about 7 buildings (4 of which are destroyed by the end of the movie ) somehow that wiley Brad has been able to build a vast empire and fortune by skimming the local businesses. That isn't strange is it?

And somehow you doubt the reality of all this?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-06-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Ladies and gentlemen, 'The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079154/
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Hudson Hawk's plot is almost unrecognizable, but I always get some good laughs out of it. It's true genius lies in it's absurdity.

Superfuzz http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082924/

Featuring Germano-Italian Superstar Terence Hill, without Bud Spencer.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

And don't forget "The Super Cops"

The shootout scenes alone are priceless. They jus sort of wave their guns around randomly yet magically never miss a bad guy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Where the nice-guy bar owner has enough cash to pay Dalton anything he wants, plus pour scads of cash into totally renovating the Double Duce, but he can't kick in a few bucks of protection money? Or better yet, move to a different town where he can run his club free from Big Bad Brad. This is somehow odd?

Well, I don't think it's that he couldn't but he didn't want to. He took a stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wait a minute...

Are you suggesting that a local business barron taking over a town where apparently no law enforcement exists within 1,500 miles, a bouncer that everybody across the country knows by name, and a town where there is enough people to fill a gigantic bar but not enough people to pave the streets is somehow....not plausable?

Or the idea that despite this town having about 7 buildings (4 of which are destroyed by the end of the movie ) somehow that wiley Brad has been able to build a vast empire and fortune by skimming the local businesses. That isn't strange is it?

And somehow you doubt the reality of all this?
    Not to mention the fact that Wesley supposedly has the cops in his pocket, yet Dalton can indiscriminately kill about a dozen people and never even get brought in for questioning.

But hey, that was 80's life in the suburbs of Kansas City. It was pretty much the wild west way back then.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Not to mention the fact that Wesley supposedly has the cops in his pocket, yet Dalton can indiscriminately kill about a dozen people and never even get brought in for questioning.

But hey, that was 80's life in the suburbs of Kansas City. It was pretty much the wild west way back then.
    Yeah, I remember when I was on a consulting project in the suburbs of KC, I couldn't go to a bar without worrying about whether I would be terrorized by thugs or have my throat ripped out by a bouncer. Lenexa and Overland Park were pretty bad, but heaven help you if you mispronounced "Olathe." Good thing I was working for the town boss, named "Sprint." I don't know if I would have made it out of there alive.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And don't forget "The Super Cops"

The shootout scenes alone are priceless. They jus sort of wave their guns around randomly yet magically never miss a bad guy.
    I read that book in 6th grade... it had adult content

Evil Dead 2 is hard to beat

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?