Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Basketball Rankings

Re: College Basketball Rankings

bump.

Duke finishes the year 22-10 / 8-9 in the conference after their first round conference tournament loss to NC State.

So does Duke deserve an invite to the field of 64?

If they do, then you've got a whale of an argument on your hands because as far as I can tell, there isn't much difference between Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Florida State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/confstandings?confID=2

The top 5 teams in the ACC (UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Boston College) get in because they each have at least 10 conference wins. Both Georgia Tech and FSU have more wins (3 each) against top 25 teams (Duke has 1), as well as fewer losses to top 25 teams (4 each, compared to 5 for Duke). If you take Duke, you also have to take GT and FSU and give the ACC 8 bids.

As an ACC fan, I can tell you that the league certainly doesn't deserve 1/8th of the total bids.

Coach K and his boys better hope a whole lot of bubble teams lose early in their conference tournaments...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Duke is a stone cold lock to make it. Their seed is going to crap, but they're in, and you can easily make the argument for them over the others. Losing to NC State is bad, but GT has lost to two teams (Wake and Miami) that are even worse. Duke is 8-9 against the top 50, Florida State is 5-11. Clemson has lost 8 of its past 11. And Duke is miles ahead in the RPI.

FWIW I think GT is in as well as long as they don't goof against Wake tonight. Clemson is dead. Florida State is breathing, but they really need to take out Carolina or I don't think they'll make it.

It's just mind-boggling to think that Clemson started the year 17-0 and might not make the NCAAs.

Clemson is 3-8 in their last 11. Duke is 4-7 over their last 11.

And what an unreal way for the first day of the ACC tourney to play out. The 9, 10, 11 & 12 seeds all won over the 5, 6, 7 & 8 seeds.

That was crazy, has a conference ever had 9-12 all win before? I still think GT will get in, but that didn't help. The bubble sure did get soft yesterday though. If I'm Stanford or Air Force I'm really rooting against Florida St. today, because a win will take one of those spots now.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    It's just mind-boggling to think that Clemson started the year 17-0 and might not make the NCAAs.

Clemson is 3-8 in their last 11. Duke is 4-7 over their last 11.

And what an unreal way for the first day of the ACC tourney to play out. The 9, 10, 11 & 12 seeds all won over the 5, 6, 7 & 8 seeds.
    Deepest conference in the nation. There is no way Carolina loses 5 games in any other conference in the country this year. Its just brutal right now.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

They always talk about how a team finishes a season. Well, by my calculations, Duke has only won 4 of its last 11 games.

Bump.

Georgia Tech and Duke tied for 6th in the ACC regular season. Both lost the first round of their conference tournament - #7 seed Duke to #10 seed NC State, and #6 seed GT to #11 seed Wake Forest (in 2 OT).

GT finished the year 7-4 over their final 11 games, including a win over #1 seed North Carolina. Duke finished the year 4-7 in their final 11 games.

GT gets a 10 seed. Duke gets a 6 seed.

And to finish an earlier thought - Clemson going from 17-0 to 21-10 and out of the tournament has to go down as one of the biggest fades in the history of college basketball.
    Last edited by 15fan; 03-12-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Bump.

Q: How many McDonald's high school All-Americans does it take to beat VCU?

A: More than 6, obviously.

Great job, Rams.

Bump.

Q: How many McDonald's high school All-Americans does it take to beat VCU?

A: More than 6, obviously.

Great job, Rams.
    Yeah he's a terrible coach, first time ever losing in the first round. Fire him.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Duke lost their only 2 post-season games of the year, losing to the #10 seed (of 12) in the ACC tourney, and a #11 seed in the NCAAs. They finished the year losing 8 of their last 12.

When I had the game on tonight, I heard yet another talking head on tv observe that "Duke just doesn't have that All-American player that they're used to having every year".

Here's a memo to the national media: they had 6 McDonald's high school all-americans on their roster.

6!

Poor Duke.

I'll give credit to K, though. He was too chicken to play anyone out of conference. His bloated out of conference record this year masked the serious deficiencies his team had for most of the season. When it became obvious that Duke was nothing more than a pedestrian team, everyone had sunk enough into holding the Duke team on a pedestal that they rode their reputation to a much higher seed than they deserved in this year's post-season.

(Edit: And for those of us who've suffered through the Duke double-standard for years, it made this year's fall all the more enjoyable.)

Did anyone else watch the VCU-Duke game and think they were watching Kentucky - Texas Western ca. 1966?

Duke lost their only 2 post-season games of the year, losing to the #10 seed (of 12) in the ACC tourney, and a #11 seed in the NCAAs. They finished the year losing 8 of their last 12.

When I had the game on tonight, I heard yet another talking head on tv observe that "Duke just doesn't have that All-American player that they're used to having every year".

Here's a memo to the national media: they had 6 McDonald's high school all-americans on their roster.

6!

Poor Duke.

I'll give credit to K, though. He was too chicken to play anyone out of conference. His bloated out of conference record this year masked the serious deficiencies his team had for most of the season. When it became obvious that Duke was nothing more than a pedestrian team, everyone had sunk enough into holding the Duke team on a pedestal that they rode their reputation to a much higher seed than they deserved in this year's post-season.

Did anyone else watch the VCU-Duke game and think they were watching Kentucky - Texas Western ca. 1966?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

What I don't understand is why you get so much joy out of seeing a team lose.

I've always thought that McRoberts was overrated. I lived in Carmel while he played there and I went to a lot of his games and I always thought he was good but not as good as most people in Carmel thought. And I think when they said "All-American" they probably meant college All-American, what they did in high school doesn't go into the voting. And they don't they don't have one single dominating player, some think McRoberts is, but he's not. He's a good player but unless he gets a lot better he's not going to be an All American. Jon Scheyer in a couple years will be an All American and a player that can take over a game.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-15-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    What I don't understand is why you get so much joy out of seeing a team lose.
    Fair enough.

I've lived in ACC land for 17 years and have an allegiance to another ACC school.

To draw a parallel, it's like living in the midwest & being a college football fan. Either you love Notre Dame or you hate 'em. There is no in between.

Edit: any chance you've seen Jeff Teague (Indy / Pike HS) play? If so, what kind of player is my school getting?

Fair enough.

I've lived in ACC land for 17 years and have an allegiance to another ACC school.

To draw a parallel, it's like living in the midwest & being a college football fan. Either you love Notre Dame or you hate 'em. There is no in between.

Edit: any chance you've seen Jeff Teague (Indy / Pike HS) play? If so, what kind of player is my school getting?
    I've only seen him play once this year. And he is quick. I was surprised how much he went up from last year to this year. He went from nobody really caring where he went to IU and Wake fighting over him.

Oh he is smaller than he's listed, he doesn't look 6'1, atleast when I saw him he didn't.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-15-2007 at 11:09 PM.

You guys on this thread sure called the Duke collapse. You've helped me in my brackets by calling the biggest upset in this (thus far) boring tourney. Thanks...

Turn Off Ads?