Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Another reason to root for Hamilton

Can he be stopped?

Another reason to root for Hamilton

From Sheldon's Mailbag:

Why do the Reds feel the need to carry three catchers? It is a waste of a roster spot. If you think about it, there are four catchers considering Scott Hatteberg came up as a catcher.
    -- Dean F, Loveland, Ohio
    Certainly, Hatteberg could step up during an emergency. But he stopped catching long ago because he had a below-average throwing arm. Even he says his throws would get to second base...eventually.

If they carried a third catcher in Chad Moeller, which isn't a guarantee, the Reds would do it to get extra protection -- especially since No. 2 catcher Javier Valentin is their best pinch-hitter from the left side. Without a third catcher, the bench would be exposed if Valentin had to bat and then David Ross got hurt later in the game. If a second lefty pinch-hitter or switch hitter makes the club (ie: Hamilton or Mark Bellhorn), the three-catcher situation might not be happening.
    I know I was one of the people decrying the 3 catcher situation because of Hatteberg. I mean, the whole chapter about him in Moneyball mentions clearly his transition from C to 1B. But if his arm is crap...

However, late in a game, if he only has to catch an inning or two, I'm not too worried about this. He can still frame pitches and still catch them in the glove. Throwing out runners is the least of our worries if Ross or Valentin get hurt.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another reason to root for Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    However, late in a game, if he only has to catch an inning or two, I'm not too worried about this. He can still frame pitches and still catch them in the glove. Throwing out runners is the least of our worries if Ross or Valentin get hurt.
    If Ross or Valentin actually get hurt, they should call someone up from Louisville to replace them on the roster. If they use Hatteberg as the 3rd catcher the only time he should play there is an emergency. Late in the game, or extra inning game and the other two catchers have already been used, or one of them hurt and the other gets pinch hit for, etc. Regardless, Hatteberg should NEVER start a game at catcher, only come in as a late inning, emergency replacement.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    From Sheldon's Mailbag:

I know I was one of the people decrying the 3 catcher situation because of Hatteberg. I mean, the whole chapter about him in Moneyball mentions clearly his transition from C to 1B. But if his arm is crap...

Couldn't argee more. I just dont see how the reds put together the best team they can with 3 catchers. In an emergency situation you can put Hatty in the game just to finish up and then bring up the AAA catcher the next day.

Not to mention the fact Valentin isn't a very good pinch-hitter. Let him be the backup catcher and use someone else as the primary lefty pinch-hitter.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Not to mention the fact Valentin isn't a very good pinch-hitter. Let him be the backup catcher and use someone else as the primary lefty pinch-hitter.
    If Hamilton keeps on this tear, it might very well be him.... unless he simply replaces Freel in the starting lineup. However, Narron likes fudging with lineups so much, that I think JH will have enough off days to play LH-PHer plenty.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    If Ross or Valentin actually get hurt, they should call someone up from Louisville to replace them on the roster. If they use Hatteberg as the 3rd catcher the only time he should play there is an emergency. Late in the game, or extra inning game and the other two catchers have already been used, or one of them hurt and the other gets pinch hit for, etc. Regardless, Hatteberg should NEVER start a game at catcher, only come in as a late inning, emergency replacement.

I agree... I think thats what I was trying to say (who knows if thats true however... I don't think I actually form coherent thoughts until after 12 pm. This is a problem for me, since most of my classes are beofre 12 pm... sigh)

The only way Mr. Hat plays catcher is if Valentin or Ross have already been used as a PH and the other gets injured. Seing as Jerry is reluctant to use Valentin as a PHer until late innings, this means that Mr. Hat will have to catch 1 or 2 innings at most. This is acceptable, and a far better option than putting Freel back there (he was the emergency/3rd catcher in 2004-2005 - anyone remember LaRue threatening to cut off his arm before letting Freel catch? I do). After the conclusion of the game, the injured catcher goes on the DL and someone else comes up from AAA. Three real catchers is just dumb.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Not to mention the fact Valentin isn't a very good pinch-hitter. Let him be the backup catcher and use someone else as the primary lefty pinch-hitter..
    Four pinch-hit homers in one season isn't very good?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3754

The problem is that Valentin has such a strong platoon split (.286/.340/.501 against LHPs, .137/.254/.196 against RHPs from 2004-2006) that using him as a PH is easily countered by a pitching change. Good thing that stat gets masked by his ability to switch-hit, so opposing managers following that traditional lefty-righty approaches often miss the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Four pinch-hit homers in one season isn't very good?
    Four pinch homers is good. This line, however, isn't - .193/.264/.337. That's Javy's 3 year splits as a pinch-hitter from 2004-2006.

Play Griffey at 1B, Put Hamilton in RF and let Hatte be the LHPH and emergency catcher.

Turn Off Ads?