Turn Off Ads?

Thread: More guest instructors...

Can he be stopped?

More guest instructors...

This from Doc's blog:

Tom Browning says the kid pitcher Johnny Cueto is "half a step behind'' Homer Bailey... Browning is here, working w/young guys and eating the free food in the clubhouse. As is Todd Benzinger...
    I remember Bob C. bringing in former Reds greats last year to camp. I knew Soto was back there, and it's good to see some others there as well. Gotta love Tom Browning.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More guest instructors...

I don't care who they bring back as long as it's not Kal Daniels to teach the art of outfield defense, or Lenny Harris teaching baserunning technique.

Can he be stopped?

I wish they'd bring back Sabo to teach the art of wearing Rec-Specs. An underrated talent, if ever there was one.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    I wish they'd bring back Sabo to teach the art of wearing Rec-Specs. An underrated talent, if ever there was one.
    That really is a lost art.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    He's one of three people I can think of to teach that technique. Eric Dickerson and "T.W." from Norwood High class of '87 are the other two.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Todd Benzinger?

I thought he was coaching HS Girl's Hoops in Cincy.

High praise for Cueto. I'm telling ya, Cueto is gonna be something special. I'm looking forward to watching Cueto and Bailey pitch together for the next decade.

Didn't Soto work with Cueto last year (I seem to remember reading that he helped him with his changeup)?
    While this is cool and all, there is one drawback: Am I the only one feeling old seeing guys I remember seeing as rookies now working as instructors?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Didn't Soto work with Cueto last year (I seem to remember reading that he helped him with his changeup)?
    While this is cool and all, there is one drawback: Am I the only one feeling old seeing guys I remember seeing as rookies now working as instructors?
    You are correct sir. I remember reading that Johnny Cueto reaped the most benefits from working with Soto last spring. His changeeup is very good from what I have heard and seen (from watching video on him). He also has a very nice tight slider. Here's what milb.com had to say about him:

Johnny Cueto, RHP
    Cueto comes into Spring Training on the bubble between starting at Chattanooga or Sarasota, but not because of any concerns as to whether he is ready for Double-A. Rather, the trickle-down effect from big-league camp always has its victims, and at just 21, Cueto doesn't need to be rushed.

His 2006 performance certainly has earned him a shot at the higher level though. While he may not get the ink Bailey does, Cueto is not far behind when it comes to how the organization feels about his potential.

The first real fruit of the Reds' recent foray into the Latin American scouting scene, the 5-foot-10 right-hander went 15-3 with a 3.00 ERA in 26 starts between Dayton and Sarasota, with his 143 strikeouts ranked second in the system behind Bailey. He throws a mid-90s fastball with tremendous command and an easy delivery and his slider and changeup have potential to be plus Major League pitches. He limited Florida State League opponents to a .214 average and a .191 mark at Dayton and at one point tossed 12 innings of one-hit shutout ball over two Midwest League starts.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

Turn Off Ads?