Turn Off Ads?

Thread: As injury plagued as Jr. as been...

As injury plagued as Jr. as been...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...all/index.html

At least I'm not a Cubs fan. I really thought those 2 would have led them to a few NL pennants by now. As much as I despise the Cubs, it is sad to see two high potential guys flame out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: As injury plagued as Jr. as been...

Wood I think could be a lights out closer for the Cubs in the near future. Prior is a different story, I saw the highlights this morning from his first work of the spring and he looked real rough. I think he can get back at some point but never to where he was before.

well at least prior and wood were on a playoff team once. that's more than griffey's ever done with the reds, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    well at least prior and wood were on a playoff team once. that's more than griffey's ever done with the reds, sadly.
    Yep, and I am sure its Griffeys fault that the pitching has been attrocious since he got here outside of last season. Why not blame Griffey for the stock market crash last week too?

I really get tired of hearing how Griffey being on this team somehow led to them not being good. There are 25 players on a roster every day. 1 player cant change the outcome of a season, no matter how good or bad. When your pitching has had 2 guys throw 150 innings of ERA baseball under 4.00 in the first 5 years of the decade, its really hard to point to an outfielder as the reason the team hasnt seen the playoffs isnt it?

In the same time here are what other teams have had.
    Angels - 9
    Astros - 9
    A's - 16
    Blue Jays - 4
    Braves - 17
    Orioles - 4
    Cardinals - 12
    Cubs - 11
    Devil Rays - 2
    Diamondbacks - 11
    Dodgers - 12
    Giants - 9
    Indians - 5
    Mariners - 8
    Marlins - 10
    Mats - 14
    Expos/Nationals - 9
    Padres - 5
    Phillies - 6
    Pirates - 4
    Rangers - 2
    Red Sox - 8
    Rockies - 1
    Royals - 2
    Twins - 8
    Tigers - 1
    White Sox - 10
    Yankees - 8

So only the Tigers had less starters get under 4.00 than the Reds from 2000-2005, and only the Rangers, Royals and Devil Rays have had the same number.

But looking at that list, you are probably right in that its Griffeys fault that the Reds havent been to the playoffs with him.

unclear how I said any of that was griffey's fault. the original poster was saying it must be terrible to be a cubs fan; i was just pointing out that the cubs have had more success than the reds in recent years (specifically, the griffey years, which are referenced in the title of this post).

That comes off seeming like it is pointed at being Griffeys fault they didnt make the playoffs.

It would just plain suck to be a Cub fan.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

unclear how I said any of that was griffey's fault. the original poster was saying it must be terrible to be a cubs fan; i was just pointing out that the cubs have had more success than the reds in recent years (specifically, the griffey years, which are referenced in the title of this post).
    The original poster was saying that with a 1-2 of Wood/Prior expectations were huge for the Cubs. In the original poster's opinion the expectations of the Cubs with Wood/Prior were higher than they ever were with Griffey. Just an opinion. In the original posters point of view...the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Yes, it has been terrible for a Cubs fan. From a success standpoint it has been terrible to be a Reds fan also (don't take that out of context). However, I think the Cubs fans have had more heartbreak and more air taken out of their sails than Reds fans.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Who would've thought a few years ago that Mauer over Prior was the right baseball decision.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    It would just plain suck to be a Cub fan.
    Nah, they get to blame goats/fans/cows for all of their problems, they also love being losers, winning would be a bummer for them.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That comes off seeming like it is pointed at being Griffeys fault they didnt make the playoffs.
    no it didn't.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

He said "with" the Reds, not "for" the Red's.

No pointing there. I think you just read it wrong.
    Pots and Kettles

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The original poster was saying that with a 1-2 of Wood/Prior expectations were huge for the Cubs. In the original poster's opinion the expectations of the Cubs with Wood/Prior were higher than they ever were with Griffey. Just an opinion. In the original posters point of view...the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Yes, it has been terrible for a Cubs fan. From a success standpoint it has been terrible to be a Reds fan also (don't take that out of context). However, I think the Cubs fans have had more heartbreak and more air taken out of their sails than Reds fans.
    Do you remember when Griffey was traded to the Reds? There were fireworks, literally. It was probably the biggest thing that had ever happened in Cincinnati sports outside of World Series, Super Bowls and Pete Rose - and probably bigger than some of those. Following as is did on the 1999 season, a lot of people thought that the Reds would contend for years, and probably win another championship. At the very least, we thought we would be watching Griffey break Hank Aaron's record right about now.

When I compare my expectations in January 2000 to what actually happened, I think it's by far the most hearbreak and dissapointment I've ever experienced as a sports fan - and I still choke up a bit every time I watch Montana to Taylor. Now, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS was certainly awful for Cubs fans, and the Cubs' subsequent failings also heartbreaking (although awesome for me since I am a Reds fan in Chicago and Cubs fans are generally terrible people), but I can't imagine anything much worse as a fan than the slow realization over the course of the last six years that the Griffey trade was never going to pay off.

It's not Griffey's fault - both because his teams have been bad and because his own personal performance has been largely impacted by injuries. For this fan, that sort of makes it worse. If Griffey was a big a-hole, at least I could boo him. The fact is that he seems to be a great guy, who tries hard, and who hurts himself trying to help his team - well, to see him struggle and get booed constantly by "fans" makes the Reds' struggles all the more difficult to watch.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    However, I think the Cubs fans have had more heartbreak and more air taken out of their sails than Reds fans.
    I wouldn't have it any other way. I hate the Cubs. Yes, hate.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Turn Off Ads?