Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I like about what Krivsky is doing ...

GOREDSGO32

What I like about what Krivsky is doing ...

He's at least keeping the Reds competitive while sunk salary is still on the roster (Milton and Griffey), two guys being paid the most on the team yet are only average (or below average) players at this ponit in time.

I'm a 49ers fan, and basically had to suffer through an entire rebuilding process over cap hell. Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, but owners spending ability is like a cap, so its nice to see the Reds stay competitive under this kind of handicap. Once milton gets off the books, along with Griff, I imagine this team will really become a contender.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What I like about what Krivsky is doing ...

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    He's at least keeping the Reds competitive while sunk salary is still on the roster (Milton and Griffey), two guys being paid the most on the team yet are only average (or below average) players at this ponit in time.

I'm a 49ers fan, and basically had to suffer through an entire rebuilding process over cap hell. Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, but owners spending ability is like a cap, so its nice to see the Reds stay competitive under this kind of handicap. Once milton gets off the books, along with Griff, I imagine this team will really become a contender.

Actually Dunn is making more than Milton....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

GOREDSGO32

Well yeah since the resigning .. as of last year it was Griff and milton, and they are getting a huge percentage of the team's possible payroll. Hopefully that money can be used in the future for more productive players ,and we avoid long term handicapped contracts. Griffey was the best player in baseball when he signed here, and he proved how putting all your stock in anyone can turn out disasterous.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dunn arguably earns most of his paycheck though, which I think was the point of the post. If Milton was posting a 3.5 era with 15 wins, I don't think many people would complain about the 7 mill hes making.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Dunn arguably earns most of his paycheck though, which I think was the point of the post. If Milton was posting a 3.5 era with 15 wins, I don't think many people would complain about the 7 mill hes making.
    Say what you will about Adam but I will have to agree that he does put up numbers to support his paycheck. I can live with that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Say what you will about Adam but I will have to agree that he does put up numbers to support his paycheck. I can live with that.

Actually at '06 performance levels, Dunn was overpaid at $7M.

Also, Milton is making $9M....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Yes, but the salaries are close because each player is paid per home run.

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    Yes, but the salaries are close because each player is paid per home run.
    If Milton had as many Ks as Dunn did last year, Milton would've been an all-star...

If Milton had as many Ks as Dunn did last year, Milton would've been an all-star...

Milton should be paying the Reds for the right to humiliate the team's fans.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post

We have all heard this same ol' song before.

Once Jimmy Haynes' contract gets of the books...

Once Danny Graves' contract gets off the books...

Once Sean Casey's contract is off the books...

The money will go towards retaining a few talented players the rest will be spent on washed up vets or broken down relief pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We have all heard this same ol' song before.

Once Jimmy Haynes' contract gets of the books...

Once Danny Graves' contract gets off the books...

Once Sean Casey's contract is off the books...

The money will go towards retaining a few talented players the rest will be spent on washed up vets or broken down relief pitchers.
    Great point. Now it is a compilation of players.

Once Weathers, Stanton, Gonzalez, Cormier...are off the books...

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Great point. Now it is a compilation of players.

Once Weathers, Stanton, Gonzalez, Cormier...are off the books...
    "Once" should be the title to the unrealistic optimistic theme song. Or a two years, a three years, a four years from now.

I tend to agree that he is keeping us floating while waiting for those salaries to come off the books.

But he is wasting nickels instead of dollars ala O'Brien to some degree.

Guys like Conine, Stanton, Castro making 2 mil (not to mention cheaply offers but wasted $$$ nonetheless in Moeller, Crosby, etc) really drains whatever bad salaries come off the books. We are facing having to cut guys like Deno, Salmon, Shackelford, Ramirez, etc.. off the original 25 man roster because we have bigger contracts that we are trying to validate. I don't think it to be a stretch to imagine all of our AAA,AA relievers giving us for nothing what we've paid a few millions for and still don't understand the Conine deal. It would have been easy to see that Deno/Hopper can easily give us anything Conine is likely as a backup OF.

Would be very nice to save up those nickel signings and put them into one nice player signing that could have helped us out better than the combinations we've put together. I hope that trend stops when the Milton contract comes off the books this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    I tend to agree that he is keeping us floating while waiting for those salaries to come off the books.

But he is wasting nickels instead of dollars ala O'Brien to some degree.

Guys like Conine, Stanton, Castro making 2 mil (not to mention cheaply offers but wasted $$$ nonetheless in Moeller, Crosby, etc) really drains whatever bad salaries come off the books. We are facing having to cut guys like Deno, Salmon, Shackelford, Ramirez, etc.. off the original 25 man roster because we have bigger contracts that we are trying to validate. I don't think it to be a stretch to imagine all of our AAA,AA relievers giving us for nothing what we've paid a few millions for and still don't understand the Conine deal. It would have been easy to see that Deno/Hopper can easily give us anything Conine is likely as a backup OF.

Would be very nice to save up those nickel signings and put them into one nice player signing that could have helped us out better than the combinations we've put together. I hope that trend stops when the Milton contract comes off the books this year.
    Amen!

GOREDSGO32

I don't have a problem with contract players. You either use the money or you don't use it, I'dd rather have signed old guys you might get performences out of rather than not signing anyone at all. There's not really an alternative to that, if they didn't sign anyone its not like Reds management would have let it carry over till next year to spend more or anything.

Turn Off Ads?