Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Burbank to Retire

Zoinks!

Gary Burbank to Retire

According to the Post, WLW's Gary Burbank will retire at the end of the year.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...70031/-1/CINCI

Gary Burbank, WLW-AM’s longest current on-air personality, says he’ll retire when his contract expires Dec. 31.

Burbank, who turns 66 in July, has talked about quitting radio since his failed attempt in national syndication in 1995.

“I plan on retiring this year, for sure,” Burbank says.

Burbank came to WLW-AM in 1981 as a morning host, after leaving a radio job in Louisville. He moved to afternoons a few years later.

The Memphis native says he originally planned to stay here a year, then go back to Louisville. He decided to stay to raise his family in Alexandria, turning down job offers in Los Angeles, San Diego and other larger cities.

During his 26 years here, Burbank has twice won the prestigious Billboard magazine and Marconi awards for large-market radio personality of the year. His show is unique – not just for Cincinnati, but nationally – because of his “All My Bengals,” “The Reds and the Restless” and many scripted satires produced each week.

“We do more material in a week than some stand-up comics do in their lives. We do new material every day,” says Burbank, who relies on about 10 writers for his show.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gary Burbank to Retire

That's too bad to hear. I think he's one of the few WLW personalities that just about everyone liked to listen to. He was definately a voice of my childhood as everytime I was in the car with my dad in the afternoon, we were listening to the BBC. My dad knew one of his writers and actually got to go to a few Sports or Consequences tapings. I will miss Sports or Consequences (me and my buddies will still do the "We don't, We don't, We don't mess around" sometimes) and Gilbert Gnarley.

I still listen to Gary on the way home in the evenings, well about 15 minutes of him. He's good people.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Always enjoyed listening to Burbank in the afternoons. I'm going to miss his show.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

La Dolce Vita

I remember listening to him at WAKY in Louisville before he got to Cincy...will miss Gilbert and the gang for sure.

Once when my husband and I were eating at his restaurant in Florence, he came over to the table and started talking to us...everything from his show to the great sweet potato casserole served at Burbank's. A very nice man.

My favorite at WLW by a longshot.
    teach tolerance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Gary was funny as hell when I was growing up, but I think he's become increasingly irrelevant. He's lost a lot of people that helped keep the show fresh along the way, which is not surprising given the longevity of his stint at WLW. Still, it is always sad to see such a local icon depart the airwaves.

...and, through all this, Jim Scott still has a job somehow.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Zoinks!

I think it is sad to know that another chapter is coming to a close. Gary was one of the last of his breed of radio personalities and I found him entertaining as hell. Some of his schtick could still make me laugh out loud from time to time. Aside from Red's games (including pre & post game shows) the last thing I could stand to listen to on WLW.

That's too bad. The only thing worth listening to on WLW will be the Reds. Most everyone else over there is fairly worthless.

I found the show pretty slow and boring, myself. The world has passed the Gary Burbanks by, I suppose. Regardless, at least he has the class and grace to know when to hang 'em up, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    That's too bad. The only thing worth listening to on WLW will be the Reds. Most everyone else over there is fairly worthless.
    Oh, I don't know. Mike Mconnell is pretty entertaining and I like Willie just for shear bombastic sillyness. I don't take him very serriously, but he's fun.

I loved Burbank growing up. I remember him in the mornings and would listen as much as possible in the afternoons after he switched. He was very funny and entertaining until about late highschool (89-90ish). Then I lost intrest. I've tried to listen a few times over the past few years, but his stuff is just horrible now. Not bad, or that he lacks tallent, just not fresh and it sounds very tired. He's been going through the motions for a long, long time, IMO.

But he's always seemed like a very nice man. And his stuff from the early days was classic. My father and I still quote lines from shows we heard in 1985.

It will be interesting to see with whom WLW replaces him.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-07-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

...and, through all this, Jim Scott still has a job somehow.
    And speaking of jobs, my son worked at Busken Bakery when he was in high school. Mmmm, can't you taste those delicious cream horns right now? And speaking of horns, if your car's is acting up, see the folks at CarX with over 580 locations nationwide. And speaking of 580- have you been to the Reds 580 gift shop?

Yes, indeed, the man who invented the never-ending segue still has a job.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    And speaking of jobs, my son worked at Busken Bakery when he was in high school. Mmmm, can't you taste those delicious cream horns right now? And speaking of horns, if your car's is acting up, see the folks at CarX with over 580 locations nationwide. And speaking of 580- have you been to the Reds 580 gift shop?

Yes, indeed, the man who invented the never-ending segue still has a job.
    You forgot to work in the empty grippos bag in the back pocket, whatever that is an allegory for.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    You forgot to work in the empty grippos bag in the back pocket, whatever that is an allegory for.
    And the wife and him needed a new mattress, so they went to the Mattress Warehouse where they could watch their mattress be made...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

He is really unlistenable. He makes it too seamless. I like to know when things stop and start.

Burbank was terrific. He'll be missed.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

This is a good move on Gary's part....as others have stated..he was funny about 15-18 years ago..but he became a part of the establishment in which he mocked (remember when he actually would play sound effects during commercials to mock them??)..and yes, has been "going thru the motions" for quite a while...as far as WLW itself...I still think McConnell and Cunningham are entertaining, however Mike seems to become a bit unbearable since his show has been syndicated...

Turn Off Ads?