Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Hybrid View

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Dan Kearns that is (Austin's father)

Washington Post

"I'm telling you, those Nationals fans made a difference for him," Dan Kearns said. "They talk about Cincinnati being a great baseball town, but they look for you to strike out so they can boo. Here they were, Washington, in last place, and they cheered everything."

Re: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!

Whoop....whoop....whoop...this is not a drill.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I can see where he's coming from. The thread recently about the way fans treated Griffey comes to mind.

I think Washington is still in a state where they're just happy to have baseball again and don't expect much. Cincinnati is in a long streak of bad times and it weighs on the fans as much as the players.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I think Washington is still in a state where they're just happy to have baseball again and don't expect much. Cincinnati is in a long streak of bad times and it weighs on the fans as much as the players.
    That's kind of how I see it. They were that way in Denver for awhile too. Years of Rockies suckitude have changed the atmosphere somewhat though. Give Washington 5 or 6 straight losing seasons and I'm betting the fans will be a little harder on the players than they are now.

Translation: In Cincinnati, they don't like it when you fail. In Washington, they don't care either way.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Well you know Austin if you don't want to be booed for striking out DONT STRIKE OUT.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Let's see how those cheers go if (when?) Kearns is injured for the better part of the next few years and struggles when he does play.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Let's see how those cheers go if (when?) Kearns is injured for the better part of the next few years and struggles when he does play.

How bout when he crashes into another team mate and knocks them out for the season?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Always a sensitive topic when the "love of their team" is applied to the entire fanbase. Especially here when most of us are diehard fans (or we probably wouldn't be here!). Been a real civil discussion though. I don't know how the entire fanbase thing s/b described in terms of whether the REDS fanbase makes Cincinnati a "baseball town" or not. One of those terms that really does not have a concrete definition. Attendance? Always cheering? I don't know.

Attendance can be deceptive (as mentioned here regarding the Rockies first five years or so)... people aren't always there b/c they are considered a "baseball town" (LA anyone?!?). Always cheering doesn't mean a lot to me... okay, Jimmy just made his 3rd error of the inning and I am not allowed to voice displeasure? I personally don't berate or boo my fav team, but sometimes I cannot blame those who do (w/in reason).

There are other variables that need to be considered with attendance.
    * The economy of an area (MLB ain't cheap, my friends).
    * The population of an area... NYC , LA or Chicago vs. Cincy, might matter. Sure it can be argued that the REDS have a large "surrounding area", but driving 2-4 hours makes it harder than hopping on the subway or metro.
    * The salary discrepancies in MLB. Has to have some effect on season ticket packages when your team is being outspent 35% by three teams in your own division. People like winners who seem to have a chance... cannot blame them when it is their hard-earned money being spent.

The Bengals vs. REDS argument? Even in the Bengals worst years they averaged more per game than the Big Red Machine. Reasons? Playing once a week is more convenient than playing 6.5 times per week. Not all games are at home, so it is probably about once every two weeks vs. 3.5 times per week. People have kids and other responsibilities that don't allow them the time to attend many REDS games like they can attend all Bengals games. Costs... a Bengals ticket is about $60 (using guesstimates) with about $20 for parking. A REDS ticket is about $10 with about $6 for parking. $80 X 8 games = $640/year. $16 X 81 games = $1,296/year.

Since MLB went to 162 games in 1961 the REDS had their 16th best per game average in attendance (46 years). World Series teams: 1961 = 38th ; 1970 = 28th ; 1972 = 31st ; 1975 = 12th ; 1976 = 2nd ; 1990 = 7th. They averaged about 12,000 more per game than the 1961 NL champs did. They had their 3rd best year in % of seats bought in 2006 since the 1961 season (1961 = 18th ; 1972 = 35th ; 1975 = 15th ; 1976 = 5th ; 1990 = 11th). The top 3 years since 1961 of % of seats bought are all GABP years... 2003, 2004 & 2006.

Baseball town? I don't know the definition. I don't know that a fair definition exists.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Well you know Austin if you don't want to be booed for striking out DONT STRIKE OUT.
    I know I wish Austin Kearns was still striking out for us in RF.

Imagine the defense in the OF with Denorfia and Kearns. Makes me weak in the knees, and brings a tear to my eye.

Ah, what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Imagine the defense in the OF with Denorfia and Kearns.
    If you want to watch Deno play, I can recommend some hotels in Louisville.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    A friend of mine has season tickets for the Bats. I'll ask him to give me updates on Deno once the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    HA! HA HA!, but true, I doubt that Denorfia makes the opening day 25 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I know I wish Austin Kearns was still striking out for us in RF.

Imagine the defense in the OF with Denorfia and Kearns. Makes me weak in the knees, and brings a tear to my eye.

Ah, what might have been.
    Huh? Kearns has a very good arm and makes plays on the balls hit near him. But he doesn't cover a lot of ground. When Freel took over in right field last year, it was obvious that he was getting to many more fly balls than Kearns did.

Indeed I'm sure that one of the reasons Krivsky obviously wanted to move Kearns was that an outfield of Griffey, Dunn and Kearns was, collectively, just too slow.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Huh? Kearns has a very good arm and makes plays on the balls hit near him. But he doesn't cover a lot of ground. When Freel took over in right field last year, it was obvious that he was getting to many more fly balls than Kearns did.

Indeed I'm sure that one of the reasons Krivsky obviously wanted to move Kearns was that an outfield of Griffey, Dunn and Kearns was, collectively, just too slow.

Hamilton has more power, a better arm, and better speed. If he pans out as a big leaguer, he'll make us all forget about Austin Kearns.

And that's not a shot at Austin Kearns.

Turn Off Ads?