Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    With apologies for being totally off topic (I still have no problem with Austin Kearns, and give his dad the benefit of the doubt for being upset when 20,000 people boo his son- I'm a dad, too, and I might feel the same way if I'm in his shoes).....but there's a lot more to downtown than just the ballparks. Most of the blame for the failure to place entertainment around them must be laid at the feet of both city council and the county, whom in their usual power struggle have bungled the Banks project mightily. The Banks Project is a huge political hot potato, which keeps getting passed around in order that no get blamed, but the end result is total stagnation, at least at this point.

My guess is that the Banks will eventually wind up being a pretty nice area of shops, restaurants, parking and bars between the stadia. Might not be for another 10 years or so, though. And that's when the nightlife around the GABP and Paul Brown will light up.

Some have stated Cincinnati has very few restaurants to choose from (other than the chains). Not so; Cincinnati is a great place to dine! Sure it might not compare to Atlanta or Chicago, but hey, we're the 25th largest metropolitan area in the US, not 3rd or 4th!

Here's a great list of Cincinnati Magazine's top 25 dining establishments (2006) in Cincinnati (and not a chain among them!):

http://209.196.51.13/ME2/Audiences/d...0FDF9B432081F4

1. Jean-Robert at Pigall's
    2. Boca
    3. Orchids
    4. Nicola's Ristorante
    5. Sturkey's
    6. Daveed's at 934
    7. Jo An Japanese Restaurant
    8. La Petite Pierre
    9. Slims
    10. Pho Paris
    11. Brown Dog Café
    12. Carlo & Johnny
    13. Cumin
    14. The Celestial Steakhouse
    15. Honey
    16. Quarter Bistro
    17. Tousey House
    18. The Palace
    19. Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse
    20. Primavista
    21. Knotty Pine on the Bayou
    22. Embers
    23. Rondo's
    24. Riverside Korean Restaurant
    25. Germano's

My favorite? Primavista, great Northern Italian food, and the best view of downtown. But don't tell anybody...they'll tell you how bad the neighborhood is around the place, all the while not realizing that the price of real estate in the Incline District of Price Hill is rising by the day...(after all, perception is reality- right??)
    That top 25 is in Greater Cincinnati, not the Downtown Cincinnati proper...

Germano's - Montgomery
    Embers - Kenwood
    Knotty Pine on the Bayou - KY
    Carlo & Johnny - Montgomery
    La Petite Pierre - Madeira
    Sturkey's - Wyomning

Just to name a few....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That top 25 is in Greater Cincinnati, not the Downtown Cincinnati proper...

Germano's - Montgomery
    Embers - Kenwood
    Knotty Pine on the Bayou - KY
    Carlo & Johnny - Montgomery
    La Petite Pierre - Madeira
    Sturkey's - Wyomning

Just to name a few....
    picky, picky....

Downtown Cincinnati is only a handful of square miles, as you know- very unusual for a large city. In fact, if you count official city population only, Cincinnati is only the 56th largest city in the US, but if you count metro area, it is the 20th largest metro are in the US.

I only live 20 minutes away from GAPB, but I do not live near city limits.

I would say that these restaurants are in the Cincinnati area, wouldn't you?
    Last edited by Always Red; 03-10-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Christy's is a really good German restaurant... even the schnitzel (I lived in Germany for a year). It's in the University District. It also has a great outdoor bar in the summer.

And a Rathskeller.
    I was in the neighborhood once and was intrigued by that place. Unfortunately, I was there on a Saturday morning while my wife got her hair done for a wedding, so we couldn't go in to eat.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    picky, picky....

Downtown Cincinnati is only a handful of square miles, as you know- very unusual for a large city. In fact, if you count official city population only, Cincinnati is only the 56th largest city in the US, but if you count metro area, it is the 20th largest metro are in the US.

I only live 20 minutes away from GAPB, but I do not live near city limits.

I would say that these restaurants are in the Cincinnati area, wouldn't you?
    I went to Madeira, and my parents live by the Kenwood Towne Centre, so 4 of the 6 I named are no more than a 10 minute drive if I'm at their house.

My argument has been, and remains Downtown Cincinnati. If you're on this side of the river between the ballparks and even UC, and between 71 and 75, there's not much in terms of "fine dining". There's a couple gems, but Cincinnati doesn't have the restaurant power of other Major League cities.

Sure, the Greater Cincinnati Area has some great food, but if I'm specifically Downtown, then my options remain very limited.

Allen responded that he saw bars and restaurants as the Reds' competition.

"What do I survive off of?," Allen asked. "Beverage and food sales (inside the stadium)."
    No one ever accused John Allen of being a visionary
    They should write "Small Market John" on his tombstone.
    The fact that Cast continues to employ that boob doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the future getting better.
    In fact, Cast should realize that one of the reasons the stadium was not full on those 1/2 price games with the Cards was because of John Allen raping the fans over the past 10 years.

If Allen and Lindner had some vision, we could've had a franchise on par with St Louis by now.

I don't think WayneK is going to turn this team around at all, considering he considers Cormier, Gonzales and Stanton as key additions and probably peed away more money this offseason than DanO did during the Milton Winter of Love.

Cincinnati is no longer a baseball town, because a lot of baseball fans are tired of the small market dog and pony show. They are tired of the lies, incompetence, and cheapness.

In fact, I'm willing to bet anyone here that Washington makes the playoffs before the Reds do. They are doing what many wanted the Reds to do.. Blow the team up, get rid of veteran chaff, bite the bullet and swallow a couple bad seasons to rebuild the farm infrastructure. Yes, they are going to suck this year, but at least they aren't giving lip service to rebuilding the farm as the Reds did. They are actually overpaying to get the top scouts, making a real presence in Latin America, and starting to accumulate legitimate young talent. Sounds like a much better plan than punting first round draft picks before your new park opens.

Meanwhile, Cincy scours the retirement homes for marginal veterans that can hopefully keep the team semi-respectable.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Has anyone ever been to Comiskey??? Ummm you probably do not want to go any more than 50 YARDS away from the stadium after a game. The Subway station is about 50 yards away and that is pretty scary all in itself. Cincinnati may not be as cozy and comfy as when I was a kid but what places are?
    I have. It isn't sunshine, candy canes, and tea, but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago since they're building those expensive townhomes west of the park and blowing up those old housing projects. If you go more than a mile past the stadium in any direction, you're headed for trouble. Just have to use common sense, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    In fact, I'm willing to bet anyone here that Washington makes the playoffs before the Reds do.

I have faith in Stan Kasten but they're not going anywhere as long as Bowden is there.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I have faith in Stan Kasten but they're not going anywhere as long as Bowden is there.
    I think Bowden's going to be the fall guy for the next year or two of futility (with no pitching). You're right, I think Kasten's smarter than to keep Jim around for too long. To Bowden's credit, I think he has built a nice lineup. But we know he can do that!

I don't necessarily think Bowden automatically prevents them from going to the playoffs.

Bowden got us to the playoffs in 95. We were leading in the strike year of 96. We almost made it in 99 on a shoestring budget (and with John Allen).

I know you want him to fail, but it looks like the organization is doing things right. People point to the failed Soriano deal, but that's just Bowden's style, he will get nothing for a player before taking a bad deal. As I said earlier, it helps give him leverage in other deals.. For example, it may have helped him get more from the Diamondbacks for Hernandez. You may disagree, and that's fine.. But even if you count Soriano non-trade as a big mistake, keep in mind, he got Soriano for very little. He obviously fleeced us in the Kearns/Lopez trade.. Yes, there's whining about unethical stuff, but unless I missed it, the Reds still haven't filed their griveance yet, and Wayne just dances around the question every time he is asked.

Bowden did a good job unloading Vidro and Hernandez. He's basically doing what people hoped WayneK would do when he arrived here.. Blow it up and redo things right. They are getting the top scouts, making a big splash in Latin America, and are probably going to have some monster drafts in the near future. I really like their idea of loading up on scouts with the intent of scoring better talent in later rounds.

Looks like they are on their way to copying the Marlins model, and they might have an owner actually willing to spend that new stadium money to keep the team intact. They are going to be a good team in 3-4 years, while the Reds will probably still be collecting 40-something veterans like Conine.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If Bowden "was doing things right" he'd have acquired some pitching. They have none.

They're going to lose 100 games. The have Ryan Zimmerman, Nick Johnson and squat. Kearns is OK and Lopez, well we'll see how he does at 2B. But if they end up having to put him back at SS, well they can have him for all I care.

And I don't hate Bowden, nor do I want him to fail. I'm just not going to throw praise his way when IMO he doesn't deserve it.

If you ask me, it sounds more like you hate Wayne Krivsky and want him to fail b/c you feel that Bowden got slighted by the Reds.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

If Bowden "was doing things right" he'd have acquired some pitching. They have none.

They're going to lose 100 games. The have Ryan Zimmerman, Nick Johnson and squat. Kearns is OK and Lopez, well we'll see how he does at 2B. But if they end up having to put him back at SS, well they can have him for all I care.

And I don't hate Bowden, nor do I want him to fail. I'm just not going to throw praise his way when IMO he doesn't deserve it.

If you ask me, it sounds more like you hate Wayne Krivsky and want him to fail b/c you feel that Bowden got slighted by the Reds.
    I think Bowden caught lightning in a bottle with a few retread pitchers like Schourek and Harnish and it's been his MO ever since. Load up on retreads and five-toolers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think Bowden caught lightning in a bottle with a few retread pitchers like Schourek and Harnish and it's been his MO ever since. Load up on retreads and five-toolers.
    I think he's a product of the hitting era, he doesn't value defense or starting pitching much, he has an affinity for CF speedsters who can't hit and right now they are trying to make Nook Logan fit into a square hole, his teams are generally a mixture of bats and a lot of "If this goes right (though it's completely against the players makeup) then we'll do good." It's manifested in the myriad of players he tries to move to a different position (Boone, Kearns, Dmitri Young, Lopez) because of their bats.

Nationals Stay the Course With Logan

By Barry Svrluga
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007; Page E01

VIERA, Fla., March 13 -- Nook Logan can look in the mirror and wish the reflection he saw was the way his life actually is. He yearns to live in Bizarro World, where there is an exact opposite of everything he knows, where left would be right and right would be left and he would walk to the plate with more confidence than doubt.

"I was out there thinking the other day, 'Why can't my left side be my right side?' " the Washington Nationals center fielder said. "I could make so much more of an impact if I were the other way around, if it was all reversed."

Logan, 27, is a switch hitter. Or, perhaps more accurately, he is trying to be a switch hitter. He grew up in Natchez, Miss., hitting right-handed. When he first was drafted out of junior college by Detroit in 2000, the Tigers knew they had a speedy player on their hands, and what better way to use the speed than to get him to hit from the left side as well. Thus began a struggle that is entering its eighth season. One scout familiar with Logan said recently, "It's never going to work."

But that doesn't mean that, for now, the Nationals won't keep trying. And they will do so by breaking Logan down and building him back up.

"People make a lot of mistakes with young hitters when they try to switch hit," hitting coach Mitchell Page said. "They try to force them to do things. My goal right now over the next two weeks, I just want him to put the ball in play. Ultimately, you want him to hit the top half of the ball so he can drive it. But he has to feel comfortable that he can hit any pitch before we get to that point."

Right now, Logan isn't at that point. Saturday, he came up in the 10th inning of a game against the New York Mets, and left-hander Eddie Camacho was on the mound. In the dugout, Manager Manny Acta said he liked the matchup for Logan, who singled in the winning run.

"It was the perfect situation for Nook," Acta said, "because we all know he is a little bit more advanced from the right side."

Numbers show he's much more advanced. Last season, after coming over in a trade from the Tigers -- who had essentially given up on him -- Logan hit .350 batting right-handed, .286 left-handed. But in reality, the disparity was even greater. Eight of Logan's 20 hits batting left-handed were bunts, his best weapon from that side because he can drag the ball and use his greatest gift -- speed.

Logan's career numbers are starkly different as well. In 152 right-handed at-bats, he has a .322 average, a .356 on-base percentage and a .461 slugging percentage. In 393 left-handed at-bats, those numbers fall to .249, .305 and an anemic .303, respectively.

Logan, though, doesn't want to abandon this way of life just yet.

"Believe it or not, sometimes I go up there and I feel better left-handed," Logan said. "I just don't get the same results. Right now, I'm looking for that comfort zone. I'm trying to slow the game down so that I'm more comfortable rather than trying to catch up to the speed of the game."

Page is trying to help him with that process. The hitting coach would like to see Logan have a more solid base from the left side, allowing the ball to travel to him rather than lunging at it, as he does so often. It is a process that, in an ideal world, would have happened in the minors and not the majors. But Acta has named Logan the starting center fielder because of his extraordinary defensive abilities, and the learning will continue under the spotlight of the big leagues.

"He's got to be able to put the ball in play before he tells me what he has to do with the first pitch, what he has to do with the second and all that," Page said. "No. Just hit the ball hard someplace, and then we'll get to everything else. He's got to be a guy who can put the ball in play and take his walks, and if there are too many lazy fly balls, then we'll deal with that.

"I want him to have the same amount of confidence left-handed as right-handed. But left-handed, he has no feel. He's still learning."

On Monday afternoon, Logan came to the plate against Mets right-hander Chan Ho Park. Hitting left-handed, he drove a ball to right field that sneaked into the corner, and Logan flew around the bases for a triple. In an intrasquad game late last month, he actually hit a home run from the left side, something he has never done in a major league game.

"I got to get comfortable, and I think I will," Logan said.

General Manager Jim Bowden said earlier this spring that the club would not ask Logan to give up switch hitting, at least in part because the drag bunt is such a weapon. Page, too, pledged to stay on his pupil. By the all-star break, he said, everyone will have a better idea of whether this experiment will work.

"I think he's got enough tools to be a switch hitter," Page said. "I just think he's going to have an explosive second half compared to the first half because of the way we're going to go about it. I think he's capable of doing the job
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031301692.html

Austin Kearns was my favorite player until he was traded. I realized that it wasn't Austin Kearns, but that he was a Cincinnati Red. I will still pull for Austin and Felipe wherever they go, but they aren't Reds so I got over it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

They're going to lose 100 games. .
    Washington isn't worried about this year. That's obvious. Rather than invest in expensive marginal pitching like a Lohse or Milton they are dumping their money into farm/infrastructure.. Just as many Reds fans have wanted our own team to do. Yep, they are going to stink next year. And they will likely be rewarded with a top 4 draft pick. That's the way the system works.

They have said their strategy is to find talent in the later rounds of the draft. Other teams have shown that if you are willing to spend money late, you can get first round talent late in the draft. I recall the Reds drafted a high school pitcher really late one year. He had a lot of talent, but told everyone he was going to college. The Reds picked him late.. Like maybe the 30th or 4)th round. His buddy or brother posted on this site.. Matt Lynch might've been the draftees' name.. Anyhow.. it came down to if the Reds paid him a million, he would've signed. Thus, if you have the money, you can get probably 10 first round draft picks in one year (equivalent in talent). I don't know if Washington is going to go that extreme or not, but the potential is there.

And I don't hate Bowden, nor do I want him to fail. I'm just not going to throw praise his way when IMO he doesn't deserve it..
    I'm not giving him all of the credit if it works. It's obviously a team effort. At the same time, I think he deserves some credit, as he's definitely on the leadership team. Every GM has their strengths and weaknesses. Bowden has the strength of winning many of his trades. No one wins them all, but his trading ability is generally an asset. If Kasten uses him in that role, Bowden will help that team.

No, I want the Reds to succeed. But the early returns on Wayne aren't good. I agree with others that his main talent seems to be picking up castoffs or unwanted parts from other teams that are undervalued. His weaknesses seem to be in allocating funds, selecting free agents, and being too impulsive.

Other strengths and weaknesses will be revealed as his career continues.

Why would I want him to fail? I liked the guy until he started making dumb moves. I didn't want DanO to fail either, but he did.

Did I think Bowden got slighted by the Reds? Not necessarily. He knew he had a bad relationship with Allen. I'm sure he knew after the 2002 season that he was going to be fired in 2003. He had numerous job interviews and maybe offers while he GMed the Reds, but chose to stay in Cincy (for whatever the reason). I think he knows part of the business is that GMs will get fired. He even said later that being fired from Cincy was good for him, because he would've stayed in that job until he died if he wasn't fired. So there doesn't seem to be any hard feelings from him.

Now, do I think Bowden is a better GM than Wayne and DanO? Absolutely. I hope I am proven wrong though. I also hope that Cast gets a better GM when Wayne's contract expires.

I know some will say that I should just join the National's board. I'm not that big a fan of Bowden. It will be interesting to see how that team is in 4 years or so. Kasten and Bowden are basically getting the opportunity to totally rebuild a team from scratch. They will probably have a lot more resources than they had in Cincy to do it as well. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

If they Nats are gonna build through the draft I would suggest they don't let Bowden have final say on who the draftees are gonna be.

Turn Off Ads?