Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Re: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What kills me is just how many dumb fans there are in Cincy... I dunno, maybe that's just baseball fans everwhere, but I'm not sure I can remember a single time when I've sat down next to someone, struck up a conversation, and heard anything other than the same, cliched, unfair baseball opinions parroted over and over and over...
    You mean Marty-speak?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I dunno, maybe that's just baseball fans everwhere,

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    So am I.

I'll sit there and watch a half empty ballpark collectively boo one of its former players, all because said former player's father implied that the city isn't a baseball town. And it'll be comical, because in reality that former player's father is absolutely correct in that implication, and the site of a half empty baseball stadium will be all the proof he needs.

After all, we are talking about a supposed baseball town that still couldn't fill its stadium during the final month plus of 2006 despite the team hanging around in a playoff chase and ownership slashing ticket prices in half. That itself is appalling for a supposed baseball town, and Reds fans should be embarrassed.

Cincinnati can be classified as a baseball town on exactly one day of the year: Opening Day. Outside of a handful hardcore fans, the other 364 days of the year sees most Reds fans just living in the past pretending to be a baseball town, when in reality, it's more like a ghost town.
    Fans have been absolutely abused in this town for the past 10 years or so. Couple that with the way the Bengals were in the 90's, and you have alot of mistrusting fans. That along with the way the Griffey trade hasn't worked out, and payroll has been stuck because of that trade, the promise of competitiveness after the new ballpark opened, I can see why fans stay away. I'm sure people remember when Brooklyn was a hotbed for baseball, as was Atlanta when they won (and I remember playoff games not being sold out there), and so on. I think the new "fans" are more ignorant because they just don't have the attention span they once did, nor do they appreciate the subtle non violent battles that happen in a baseball game. Baseball is a patient thinking man's (or woman's) game, and that just really doesn't fit into alot of people's timeframe, or their intelligence level for that matter.

So am I.

I'll sit there and watch a half empty ballpark collectively boo one of its former players, all because said former player's father implied that the city isn't a baseball town. And it'll be comical, because in reality that former player's father is absolutely correct in that implication, and the site of a half empty baseball stadium will be all the proof he needs.

After all, we are talking about a supposed baseball town that still couldn't fill its stadium during the final month plus of 2006 despite the team hanging around in a playoff chase and ownership slashing ticket prices in half. That itself is appalling for a supposed baseball town, and Reds fans should be embarrassed.

Cincinnati can be classified as a baseball town on exactly one day of the year: Opening Day. Outside of a handful hardcore fans, the other 364 days of the year sees most Reds fans just living in the past pretending to be a baseball town, when in reality, it's more like a ghost town.
    I'm glad you are so open minded about the past ten years. What is a "baseball town" anyway? Until someone can define such a stupid term than I think these debates mouthing our own fans is just idiotic.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I like the Rockies comparison. What I believe the "Elder Kearns" is noticing, is the relative lack of experienced fans in attendance. The double glazed doughnut look on the faces of some of the National's fans will dry out. When you have Austin applauded for a long fly-out, the National"s fans are at fault for failing to recognize that he is going to the bench, not to a base, where he might have helped produce some offense. During the Rockies last decade, the fans simply learned the game and what is worth cheering for. The National's fans will follow the same path and the demands will change. The presence of baseball should be worth a cheer. The National's fans, with time, will become collectively more sophisticated and more like the Reds fans. Reds fans have a rich history with their team and are quick to applaud a great effort, regardless of that particular day's outcome. We also know what should be Booed. I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by fargo55; 03-07-2007 at 05:58 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Ya know, after hearing fans boo and yell at Adam Dunn for striking out in the first inning of a spring training game on March 5, the elder Mr. Kearns probably has a point.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 03-07-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I know I wish Austin Kearns was still striking out for us in RF.

Imagine the defense in the OF with Denorfia and Kearns. Makes me weak in the knees, and brings a tear to my eye.

Ah, what might have been.
    Not to mention Jr in LF where his mind would make up for his skills and Dunn at 1B. With Hamilton and Freel and Hatteberg coming off the bench. Offense AND defense. Oy!

So am I.

I think you are absolutely right. I just hope two years from now that will no longer be true. That some of the fans that have beaten down the last 10 years by bad teams and bad marketing will finally return. That we will have a team worth turning out for.

The Nationals have fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Fans have been absolutely abused in this town for the past 10 years or so. Couple that with the way the Bengals were in the 90's, and you have alot of mistrusting fans. That along with the way the Griffey trade hasn't worked out, and payroll has been stuck because of that trade, the promise of competitiveness after the new ballpark opened, I can see why fans stay away.
    There is no excuse, no excuse whatsoever, for a new MLB stadium to sit around half empty when the home team is in a pennant chase and also when ownership slashes ticket prices in half. That was absolutely absurd what happened last season, and unfortunately it's nothing new here in Cincinnati.

Go back to 1999. On August 16th, the Reds were tied with the Houston Astros for the NL Central lead as they welcomed in the Pirates for a four game series. It's mid August, the team is tied for first in the division and also right in the thick of the NL Wildcard race. And how did the fans respond? Not one of those four games saw 20k fans walk through the gates. Not a single game during that series. In fact, until the final four regular season home games against St. Louis, the Reds couldn't even average 25k per game during those final two months.

That's flat out ridiculous, and what we saw in 2006 was just a mirror of what we saw in 1999 with the fans' response toward the team actually being in a pennant race.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm glad you are so open minded about the past ten years. What is a "baseball town" anyway? Until someone can define such a stupid term than I think these debates mouthing our own fans is just idiotic.
    I'm not sure what the exact definition of a "baseball town" is either, but I know that Cincinnati isn't one. I can meet 20 people in a week, and an average of one of them will be able to speak with even a basic level of knowledge about the current team. Roughly one of every four of those is from out of town. I was looking forward to being in Cincinnati for this reason, to be able to talk about my team, and the truth is I talked more intelligently about the Reds with more people when I lived in New York and Chicago. It's not even close.

I don't really care who's to blame for this, management or fans; they both play a part. I loathe the Bengals argument above all ("well, people are not going to pay attention to the Reds when the Bengals are doing well" -- what the hell, like there's not enough room for both of them. There are cities who can manage to fully support two baseball teams; I find it hard to believe that this city can't find it in themselves to follow a team in each sport.) I will say, though, that I believe the Reds' new ownership will be taking marked steps to change this. The city's not lost yet; the Reds haven't been quite that bad for quite long enough yet. But as it stands right now? This is a baseball history town, but not a baseball town.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Nationals have fans?
    Well, the Nats are pretty representative of our Congress.

- They're about half red, half blue.
    - They aren't very good at what they do.
    - Some of them like to blame other people for their problems.
    - They make a lot of money to not perform well.
    - They spend more time on vacation than they do actually doing their job.
    - The spend half of their working time out of town.
    - Turnover of the roster probably won't help much anytime soon.

The main difference I see is that Congress has yet to demand a new stadium to increase revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I have no problems with Kearns, either, and wish he were still in RF for the Reds.

As far as his dad goes, that's just a dad talking. It has to hurt to hear fans booing and cussing at your son.

I wish him the best, except when he's playing the Reds!
    Bingo.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

There is no excuse, no excuse whatsoever, for a new MLB stadium to sit around half empty when the home team is in a pennant chase and also when ownership slashes ticket prices in half. That was absolutely absurd what happened last season, and unfortunately it's nothing new here in Cincinnati.

Go back to 1999. On August 16th, the Reds were tied with the Houston Astros for the NL Central lead as they welcomed in the Pirates for a four game series. It's mid August, the team is tied for first in the division and also right in the thick of the NL Wildcard race. And how did the fans respond? Not one of those four games saw 20k fans walk through the gates. Not a single game during that series. In fact, until the final four regular season home games against St. Louis, the Reds couldn't even average 25k per game during those final two months.

That's flat out ridiculous, and what we saw in 2006 was just a mirror of what we saw in 1999 with the fans' response toward the team actually being in a pennant race.
    I think some of it is due to the ever expanding ex-urban bubble in south eastern Ohio. Much like Atlanta, which has similar attendance issues to Cincinnati, so much of the population has gravitated away from the city center and many of those people are the type who are honestly afraid to go into the city because they're scared of getting robbed, irrational as that may be.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

This is a baseball history town, but not a baseball town.
    Good call, the Reds win they come out, they lose they stay away. It's been proven, it's just the way it is. Meanwhile they love their past teams and mythologize them like no town I've ever been in.

Turn Off Ads?