Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Re: Kearns rips Cincinnati fans...

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Another caller pressed the issue, saying that he and his fellow twentysomethings like to go to bars and restaurants before and after baseball games and that Over-the-Rhine's Main Street district offered the kind of attractions he wanted around a stadium site. Allen responded that he saw bars and restaurants as the Reds' competition. - John Allen

That is a very short sighted view IMO. I'm not surprised though.
    Yep, that was an idiotic statement.

The main reason I'm aggravated with Delay Central - aka the Banks Project - is because I believe the Reds will reap some benefits once that project is actually finished. There's a handful of bars around the stadium, and Game Day gets a decent crowd before every game, but the Banks would help draw more people down near the park and ultimately in the park if it's ever completed.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason we would boo is because he SUCKED

reds fans cheer for the good things
    i dont look for dunn to strikeout so i can boo
    i want him to hit a home run so i can yell with the other fans

QUOTE:There is no excuse, no excuse whatsoever, for a new MLB stadium to sit around half empty when the home team is in a pennant chase and also when ownership slashes ticket prices in half. That was absolutely absurd what happened last season, and unfortunately it's nothing new here in Cincinnati.

Go back to 1999. On August 16th, the Reds were tied with the Houston Astros for the NL Central lead as they welcomed in the Pirates for a four game series. It's mid August, the team is tied for first in the division and also right in the thick of the NL Wildcard race. And how did the fans respond? Not one of those four games saw 20k fans walk through the gates. Not a single game during that series. In fact, until the final four regular season home games against St. Louis, the Reds couldn't even average 25k per game during those final two months.

That's flat out ridiculous, and what we saw in 2006 was just a mirror of what we saw in 1999 with the fans' response toward the team actually being in a pennant race.

I think that its gonna b the same way with the reds as it was with the bengals.

as soon as the bengals got their playoff berth, fans flocked PBS to see them play.

when the reds go to the playoffs, more of the fans who have given up on the reds (i dont know why) will come and we will b sold out every night

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Let's see how those cheers go if (when?) Kearns is injured for the better part of the next few years and struggles when he does play.

How bout when he crashes into another team mate and knocks them out for the season?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Another caller pressed the issue, saying that he and his fellow twentysomethings like to go to bars and restaurants before and after baseball games and that Over-the-Rhine's Main Street district offered the kind of attractions he wanted around a stadium site. Allen responded that he saw bars and restaurants as the Reds' competition. - John Allen

That is a very short sighted view IMO. I'm not surprised though.
    John Allen is a special man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    What is a "baseball town" anyway?
    A) If you have to ask, you're not in one
    B) Boston, Massachusetts
    C) Depends on what you mean by "is"
    D) All of the above
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

For a Level Playing Field

Always a sensitive topic when the "love of their team" is applied to the entire fanbase. Especially here when most of us are diehard fans (or we probably wouldn't be here!). Been a real civil discussion though. I don't know how the entire fanbase thing s/b described in terms of whether the REDS fanbase makes Cincinnati a "baseball town" or not. One of those terms that really does not have a concrete definition. Attendance? Always cheering? I don't know.

Attendance can be deceptive (as mentioned here regarding the Rockies first five years or so)... people aren't always there b/c they are considered a "baseball town" (LA anyone?!?). Always cheering doesn't mean a lot to me... okay, Jimmy just made his 3rd error of the inning and I am not allowed to voice displeasure? I personally don't berate or boo my fav team, but sometimes I cannot blame those who do (w/in reason).

There are other variables that need to be considered with attendance.
    * The economy of an area (MLB ain't cheap, my friends).
    * The population of an area... NYC , LA or Chicago vs. Cincy, might matter. Sure it can be argued that the REDS have a large "surrounding area", but driving 2-4 hours makes it harder than hopping on the subway or metro.
    * The salary discrepancies in MLB. Has to have some effect on season ticket packages when your team is being outspent 35% by three teams in your own division. People like winners who seem to have a chance... cannot blame them when it is their hard-earned money being spent.

The Bengals vs. REDS argument? Even in the Bengals worst years they averaged more per game than the Big Red Machine. Reasons? Playing once a week is more convenient than playing 6.5 times per week. Not all games are at home, so it is probably about once every two weeks vs. 3.5 times per week. People have kids and other responsibilities that don't allow them the time to attend many REDS games like they can attend all Bengals games. Costs... a Bengals ticket is about $60 (using guesstimates) with about $20 for parking. A REDS ticket is about $10 with about $6 for parking. $80 X 8 games = $640/year. $16 X 81 games = $1,296/year.

Since MLB went to 162 games in 1961 the REDS had their 16th best per game average in attendance (46 years). World Series teams: 1961 = 38th ; 1970 = 28th ; 1972 = 31st ; 1975 = 12th ; 1976 = 2nd ; 1990 = 7th. They averaged about 12,000 more per game than the 1961 NL champs did. They had their 3rd best year in % of seats bought in 2006 since the 1961 season (1961 = 18th ; 1972 = 35th ; 1975 = 15th ; 1976 = 5th ; 1990 = 11th). The top 3 years since 1961 of % of seats bought are all GABP years... 2003, 2004 & 2006.

Baseball town? I don't know the definition. I don't know that a fair definition exists.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Kind of like now? Where in downtown Cincinnati would there be where you could hang around the ballpark before or after the game?
    Ummm...pretty much everywhere south of Central Parkway.

Quote Originally Posted by CINCYREDS#1 View Post
    The only reason we would boo is because he SUCKED
    I wish the Reds had more players that "sucked" like Austin Kearns.

I hope you don't have high hopes for Jeff Conine.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is a baseball history town, but not a baseball town.

Wow! I wish I'd said that. That's just a brilliant statement.

This city is what it is. They will come out for Opening Day, promotions and if they are absolutely sure the Reds are a winner. It's always been like that and I don't think it's ever going to change. If the fans don't think the Reds are a contender, they won't come out to see them. Look at some of the attendence figures for some winning seasons on Retrosheet. Even during the heydey of the BRM they only drew 5-10K for a Wednesday night game against ATL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Ummm...pretty much everywhere south of Central Parkway.
    I'll take NKY thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    There is no excuse, no excuse whatsoever, for a new MLB stadium to sit around half empty when the home team is in a pennant chase and also when ownership slashes ticket prices in half. That was absolutely absurd what happened last season, and unfortunately it's nothing new here in Cincinnati..
    Cyclone, I pretty much agree with you on this topic. Cincy is most definatley not a "baseball town" however that may be defined.

One thing, however. There was a chorus of "we're only in the hunt, because St. Louis stinks this year" on RZ last year every time excitement about the season was expressed. We were constantly reminded that it was artifical. That in a normal season we'd be 24 games back. It's all a mirrage! That anything the Reds did right was because another team gifted them something. This was a recurant theme on RZ last year.

The casual fans can figure that out too.

I think some of it is due to the ever expanding ex-urban bubble in south eastern Ohio. Much like Atlanta, which has similar attendance issues to Cincinnati, so much of the population has gravitated away from the city center and many of those people are the type who are honestly afraid to go into the city because they're scared of getting robbed, irrational as that may be.
    Have you noticed the murder rates in the City latley? How in the world is avoiding an area where crime is spirling out of controll, where the mayor makes fighting crime his top priority, "irrational"?

Let's see, go to Kings Island where (1) I'll have lots more fun (2) be entertained all day long (3) while there's a chance I could die in a freak accident I'm likely not to get shot, stabbed, mugged or raped.........or go to a Reds game? Hummmmm.

While I agree 100% that this isn't a baseball town, and the geographical makeup of the city plays a role, I think it's only normal for the fanbase to be fickle when the team stinks for so long and the city surrounding the stadium is a crime ridden mess.

I wonder if anybody has ever studied if there is any correlation between a solid public transportation system in a metro area and the effects on the attendence of major leage sports venues.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-08-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    John Allen is a special man.

A) If you have to ask, you're not in one
    B) Boston, Massachusetts
    C) Depends on what you mean by "is"
    D) All of the above
    Well if we can avoid being anything like the city of Boston than it's fine by me.

And I remember the days of dark, dank Fenway in the late 80's and early 90's. You'd know better than me though about that. Were they just in a little "baseball town" funk?
    I suggest there are no "baseball towns". Baseball is just another entertainment option and management better not take anyone for granted.

Alot of people on this site blame the management for everything and mostly rightfully so, then you wonder why fans have turned off of the game. It's not really that crazy to me. The Reds haven't consistently won or cared about their fans in years and I don't blame people for not coming back. Maybe this not being a baseball town is a reasonable decision.
    Last edited by Cedric; 03-08-2007 at 08:29 AM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Have you noticed the murder rates in the City latley? How in the world is avoiding an area where crime is spirling out of controll, where the mayor makes fighting crime his top priority, "irrational"?

Let's see, go to Kings Island where (1) I'll have lots more fun (2) be entertained all day long (3) while there's a chance I could die in a freak accident I'm likely not to get shot, stabbed, mugged or raped.........or go to a Reds game? Hummmmm.

While I agree 100% that this isn't a baseball town, and the geographical makeup of the city plays a role, I think it's only normal for the fanbase to be fickle when the team stinks for so long and the city surrounding the stadium is a crime ridden mess.

I wonder if anybody has ever studied if there is any correlation between a solid public transportation system in a metro area and the effects on the attendence of major leage sports venues.
    There's sure not much dawdling after Yankee games in the Bronx.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I suggest there are no "baseball towns". Baseball is just another entertainment option and management better not take anyone for granted.

Maybe this not being a baseball town is a reasonable decision.
    I'm not sure I agree there are no "baseball towns", but you've hit the nail on the head. This is simple market economics in play. Casual fans are voting with their dollars. When the Reds become a less apealing use of descressionary resources guess what happens...attendence drops.

You are dead right that it's a 'resonable' decision. Why spend the money on something that you aren't going to be entertained by? That's totally rational behavior. It may be dissapointing, or frustrating to us die hard types, but the fact is people are acting rationally. They are allocating their entertainment dollars the best way they see fit. And going to GABP is lost in a sea of choices.

Durring the BRM days you had a heck of lot more casual fans. That's partly because the BRM was winning, partly because baseball was still the national pastime. Thus you had a larger pool of casual fans who might turn into die hard fans.

Over time, however, the winning in Cincinnati has stopped, and baseball has become just another sport. Thus, there are fewer casual fans and much fewer die hard fans.

And one season of winning, that most folks here dissed as a mirrage, ain't going to rocket the Reds to the top of the entertainment options charts.

Turn Off Ads?