Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Take yourself back to....................

Take yourself back to....................

Your earliest Reds memories. I mean, from times when you were 7,8,10,12. I can still remember going to kid glove games with my dad. Selling those darned ticket vouchers for my knothole team. They always played the tigers (I think), game didn't count, and starters would bat once, then gone. Walking across the suspension bridge from Covington. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the memories. My mom told me that I learned how to write from copying box scores out of the newspaper.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Take yourself back to....................

I remember going to a Reds weekend series with my Dad when I was younger, probably 7 or 8 (1980-81). I liked Jose Cruz's batting stance when I was a kid so my Dad got us tickets to an Astros series. Stayed downtown at a hotel for the weekend. Ran into Tony Kubek in the elevator at the hotel. Had no idea who he was, even though my Dad seemed a little impressed. Sat in the first row in the Red seats in LF. The ones that angled down. I remember looking over the edge and thinking "My GOD!!" That was one of the best weekends of my childhood, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

My mom was always a big Reds fan, so when I was little and starting to get into playing baseball I'd come home from my coach-pitch games with a Reds broadcast on the radio in the car. John Smiley was at that time my favorite player because I liked his name lol.

I went to my first game on my 7th birthday in 1992. I can still remember opening my present the day before and finding a Reds hat with 3 tickets to the game (Me, Dad, Grandpa). I was so excited.

I can remember catching my first ball at a game in 1996 or 1997 (I think). We were sitting in the right field blue seats and Ellis Burks hit one right at me. It was a line drive and everyone ducked but I just stood up and speared it. When they showed it on the jumbotron they cut it right before I caught the ball and all the sections around me booed.

I can remember my first Opening Day in 1996 when I was 11. John McSherry unfortunately passed away but until then it was an amazing experience. I can remember going back the next day and bringing a friend because my mom couldn't go. We got autographs after the game by the players gate and I got Mike Kelly's autograph (remember him?). Well neither my friend or I knew who the heck he was so we called him by what his autograph looked like "Zood La" Great times getting autographs when I was younger and would just get tons of guys on the same ball and try to decipher who they were later.

My first Reds memory came when I was 8 years old during the 7th game of the 1975 World Series . My parents were not sports fans so at the time neither was I, and having a game on the TV at our house wasnt at all common. But with the excitement of the 7th game being played my parents for a change had the game on. The memory I most remember the most is Cesar Geronimo catching the final out and the celebration that followed. Seeing the game and the excitement of it all made me addicted to the game of baseball and the Reds which I am happy to say am still addicted to 30 years later.

I often wonder what would have happened had Mom and Dad had "Barney Miller " or "Sanford and Son " on instead of the WS that October night in 1975.:
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

My first Reds memory is of Herm Winningham. He played for Montreal at the time, but he made a nice catch at Riverfront.

I was a little kid when Pete broke the record, when Eric Davis came up, when Marge Schott was in the news all the time, and my first baseball memory is of Herm Winningham. There was always little question that I was due for an illustrious existence.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My first Reds memory is of Herm Winningham. He played for Montreal at the time, but he made a nice catch at Riverfront.

I was a little kid when Pete broke the record, when Eric Davis came up, when Marge Schott was in the news all the time, and my first baseball memory is of Herm Winningham. There was always little question that I was due for an illustrious existence.
    I can still remember his 1992 Topps card with that goofy grin he had on it. I first started being a big fan in 1992 when I started collecting cards with my first set being the 1992 Topps set. I can still picture every Reds card in that set. I loved them.

My first baseball memory?

Indians vs. Marlins in '97.

My first Reds memory?

Seeing Dave Burba pitch his first Reds game. (I know, sad, but it was my first ever game I went to)
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I was 6 years old when I first made the trek to Riverfront Stadium. The Reds lost to the Phillies that day. The only thing I really remember is my friend's mom telling me to stop getting up and down because she was afraid I'd start the wave. Imagine that, afraid to start the wave! Other than that, I only remember a hot dog and a frosty malt. That was 22 years ago...
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Feeling much older than those who have responded, I remember sitting in the bleachers at Crosley Field watching the Reds beat the Mets. Art Shamsky (on the Reds at the time) hit a HR.

Reds-Dodgers at Crosley when I was 4 is a faint memory.

72 World Series game when I was 7 is vivid in my mind even today (I cried when the A's won).

Several early memories:

I met Gordy Coleman at a Dad's Club event when I was in about the 4th or 5th grade. Got an autographed ball from him.

My Grandma had a parakeet named Purkey. Grandma would go see the Reds in Spring Training because she'd stay with our cousins who lived in Florida every winter.

I went to my first game with some kid up the street. We got in trouble because he was tossing baseball cards over the edge down on the box seats at Crosley. We also would go to games with a priest named Fr. Jim who was related to the Joseph Auto folks so they always gave him boxed seats. Very nice seats - on the first base side, as I recall.

I remember the last game at Crosley against the Giants. My brother then went to the first game at Riverfront. My first visit to there was the All Star game. My mom and dad were going, but dad got a blue seat from someone. My mom gave me and another brother their tickets and said it's probably the last row. It was. I remember being stunned at the beauty of the bright green Astroturf and how futuristic it seemed. Dingey didn't take long after that.

I remember Michael Tucker toss a ball up to me in centerfield after warming up and it glanced off my glove and fell behind the wall. Tucker just shook his head, held up his glove like how'd you do that and laughed. My family was merciless to say the least.

Not my earliest memory but one of the best was going to Johnny Bench Retirement Night. I was up in the nosebleed red seats down the right field line. When JB hit that tracer shot over the left field wall the place just went nuts.

My first memories were in the mid 80's during the end of the Soto era and the return of Rose. Its funny, my brother and were talking about this same topic the other day.
    We would always sneak a radio under the sheets when it was past bedtime to listen to Marty and Joe (we had separate rooms, we also didn't have headphones, so we had to have them low enough so the parents would not hear it)

My first game memory, not sure what year, but I think it was '85 when I was 7. it was against the Braves, we sat in the LF green seats.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    My first memories were in the mid 80's during the end of the Soto era and the return of Rose. Its funny, my brother and were talking about this same topic the other day.
    We would always sneak a radio under the sheets when it was past bedtime to listen to Marty and Joe (we had separate rooms, we also didn't have headphones, so we had to have them low enough so the parents would not hear it)

My first game memory, not sure what year, but I think it was '85 when I was 7. it was against the Braves, we sat in the LF green seats.
    I got you beat, in 1982 my freshman year at Scecina Memorial High School I snuck a transister radio in to class and listened to Opening Day while class was going on. I put the small transister down my pants, ran the wire up thru my long sleeve shirt and hand the lil ear piece sticking out of my sleeve so I could listen to the game. No it wasnt Gym class
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?