Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball games you've played over the years.........

Baseball games you've played over the years.........

I started off with the stat o matic game with the cards. Over the years I have played Microleague baseball (commodore 64), Earl Weaver Baseball (early, early IBM type computer, and still the king IMO), Hardball for the PS 1, Diamond Mind Baseball (similar to stratomatic on the computer), and now to Out of the Park Baseball, a game where you can play historical, or make up your own fictional league (which I do with the small towns around here) and play as long as your want, with players being drafted, spending time in the minor leagues, developing, retiring, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Baseball games you've played over the years.........

Baseball Stars for the Nintendo was the first, I'd go over to my cousin's house all the time to play.
    RBI Baseball for Sega Genesis.
    All Star Baseball for Playstation 2.
    And now I'm still playing MLB 2006 for PS2 and Baseball Mogul.

Back before their were Pc baseball games and video games.. i played A.P.B.A. dice board game with all the player cards.. I kept track of all stats, trades, and played all year round and i manged EVERY team..it took me 12 years to finally see the Reds win a World Series..LOL.. came close the 1st year i played it, Foster drops a flyball and the Pirates win game 7 in the bottom of the ninth.. with all the games i played it took about 1 1/2 year to play a whole season..and i payed 6 complete seasons!!.. and that was with all trades..
    best game i remeber, was in the last year i played the Reds had to win a big game against the Giants.. to keep ahold of first.. the Reds won with 7 runs in the bottom of the ninth to win 10-9.. i will never forget that!!

and i NEVER cheated the games i played.

i have played OOTP 5 and i like that game better than the PC version of APBA (which i played when it first came out i think 1995)

I think the best video game i have played is MVP 2005 by EA and i was so ticked they quit making it... the other new ones like Y26/Y27, allstar and The Show.. are ok but not as good as that game.. i still wish they made it so you could add free agents to the other teams to keep it like real time.. but they have yet to do that and maybe someday they will

i did like that Basball
    stars for Nintendo, i played that so much in the military.. funny how far the games have come today though with graphics!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Back before their were Pc baseball games and video games.. i played A.P.B.A. dice board game with all the player cards.. I kept track of all stats, trades, and played all year round and i manged EVERY team..it took me 12 years to finally see the Reds win a World Series..LOL.. came close the 1st year i played it, Foster drops a flyball and the Pirates win game 7 in the bottom of the ninth.. with all the games i played it took about 1 1/2 year to play a whole season..and i payed 6 complete seasons!!.. and that was with all trades..
    best game i remeber, was in the last year i played the Reds had to win a big game against the Giants.. to keep ahold of first.. the Reds won with 7 runs in the bottom of the ninth to win 10-9.. i will never forget that!!

and i NEVER cheated the games i played.

i have played OOTP 5 and i like that game better than the PC version of APBA (which i played when it first came out i think 1995)

I think the best video game i have played is MVP 2005 by EA and i was so ticked they quit making it... the other new ones like Y26/Y27, allstar and The Show.. are ok but not as good as that game.. i still wish they made it so you could add free agents to the other teams to keep it like real time.. but they have yet to do that and maybe someday they will

i did like that Basball
    stars for Nintendo, i played that so much in the military.. funny how far the games have come today though with graphics!
    If you liked version 5, check out ootp 2007 coming out here in a few weeks. I have previewed the game, and it looks very impressive.

The best league management I ever had was a game called Baseball Pro 98. The game play was terrible, but as far as league management, it tore the cover off baseball mogul. Another favorite was the hand held Head to Head Talking Baseball. The punctuated electronic voice was probably the best part.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I had this spinner game with little magnets that "ran" the bases. Hours of fun.
    (ok...I was like 6).

I also had this game which was "electric" (baserunners only), but it was played in a metalic "stadium". The ball was magnetic, the pitcher was a spring coil mechanism (as was the "bat"). Wish I remember the name of that game.

I recently played on the Wii. We've come a long way in 40 years.

Edit: found an image of the game.
    Last edited by oneupper; 03-07-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Found a Link
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Wow, good topic.

I have played many of the conole and pc games. My first was Earl Weaver baseball. That game, as mentioned, was a lot of fun and I'll never forget how cool it was to have a baseball game on the computer. For Genesis I had Big Hurt Baseball and RBI Baseball. For N 64 I had Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball and then All Star Baseball 2003. Then, for the computer I got MVP Baseball 2005 which I am still playing the newer modded versions (2007 just came out and I'm loving it).

I've played most major releases to some extent since the Commodore 64 era. I loved Championship Baseball as a kid. My friends and I actually had a traveling trophy for MLB on NES! Now I am playing OOTP and MLB 2K7, though I still think MVP 2005 is the best arcade game ever and miss High Heat terribly. I'm hoping OOTP 2007 is as much improved as the beta testers have said.

Back in the early to mid 90s - when computers still had 5 1/4" drives, I used to play Microleague. I liked bulding the teams. You could make some teams they didn't have in there. Like mine had an all time Yankee team and an all time Tigers team so I made an all time Reds team. I made a 1990 Reds team too. Beat the 27 Yankees in a game where I managed the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

My friends and I made up our own game. We were avid card collectors and would use the Topps cards to make lineups. All it took to play our madeup game was the cards, a pair of dice, paper and a pencil. Each batter got a roll of the dice. I still remember the value of a roll of the dice...

2 = HR, 3 = triple, 4 = groundout, 5 = single, 6 = flyout, 7 = strikeout, 8 = groundout, 9 = flyout, 10 = flyout, 11 = walk, 12 = double.

We'd keep detailed stats for the pitchers and batters. Play hundreds of games each year. Ah... the days before cable TV and PCs.

My father and I used to play one of the baseball games on commadore 64. Can't remember the name. You could change the batting line up and had single and 2 player modes. Pretty cool game as I remember.

Got my first Strat-o-matic in 68. For the next several years we had a small league in my neighborhood. I bet I had every card memorized. I remember that if you were lucky enough to get to draft Terry Forester '72 You were "in like Flint" at the end of games (his results were incredible).

The next one was Atari Baseball 2600. The worst baseball game ever. It was difficult to tell it was even baseball. It was as bad as the PacMan game.

I also remember in the early '70s that I had a card game where you would construct a line-up and draw cards to see the results of particular positions. Completely random but a baseball fanatic in jr high would settle for that game often.

I also remember the 10 cent pinball games at the arcades in Myrtle Beach in the late 60s and 70s. You would select a curve or fastball and hit the pinball into targets. I use to spend all my allowance there. As a side note, this past summer I took my own boys there to play them hoping they were still there, and believe it or not many were. Although they were now 25 cents, the memories they brought back made my head spin.

In college, the first semi realistic arcade baseball video games appeared. I dont remember their names, but I remeber that they cost a lot of quarters to master and I didnt have enough, so I mainly watched others play.

My first decent home video game was the Supernintendo baseball game that I got in the early 90's. My little ones still play it sometimes.

The games I see on all of the home systems now seem incredible, but the only one I play is Mario Baseball on the Gamecube. I love it because it makes my kids laugh and giggle and that sound along with baseball is awfully sweet.
    Let's play two!!!

Old Red Guard Reject

Check out the players here:

Doc v. Boggs 1986 all over again!
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

WOY and I used to have epic games Intellivision baseball. We both got so good at it that it would take 50+ innings for someone to score, always on a HR.

In college my roommates and I used to play a lot of Nintendo baseball (this was 1989).
    School's out. What did you expect?

You had to love Intellivision. Back in those days, the Intellivision graphics were so far ahead of Atari, even though the system wasn't nearly as popular.

Turn Off Ads?