Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Reds "Treasure"?

Favorite Reds "Treasure"?

Any mementos you have that you treasure more than others??? I have one, my mom bought it for me at a flea market, garage sale, or small time sports shop. It's a huge wooden plaque kinda thing, and in the shape of a baseball field is the card for the 1990 Reds, where they started in the field (I.E. Sabo at 3b, Larkin is in the SS position, etc.). She bought if for me in 1991, and passed away in 1992. I'll never give that thing up, it hangs in my living room today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Reds "Treasure"?

Favorite Reds "Treasure"?
    The memory of the 1976 season, pure domination.

The fact that Grandma didn't throw out Dad's baseball card collection. Among other things, I have a Johnny Bench rookie card to show for it.

I have alot of Reds treasures...it's the theme to my room (well sorta, half Bengals, half Reds). My favorite is the picture I have of the Big Red Machine including Sparky Anderson holding bats that is signed by Sparky and Tony Perez. I'd like to get it signed by all members but that's unlikely. Other favorites include a framed picture of the Nasty Boys, the McFarlane figures (2 Griffey's, Dunn, and eventually Johnny Bench), a wool banner honoring the Reds championships, and a Griffey Jr autographed baseball.

I'm also working on completing a yearly Reds team set of Topps cards starting from 1958 to now. It's extremely difficult to find the key rookies (especially Pete Rose) on a college student's salary. But one day I'll get it finished! Go Reds

All my Reds baseball cards, and a 1969 Mitchell and Ness Reds home jersey, #5.

signed at redsfest

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I have one - and it has no value to anyone else but myself.

It's a window decal (one of those lick 'em & stick 'em types) that I've had since I was in kindergarten. It's no bigger than the size of a wallet and is of the Reds Wishbone"C" with Mr. Red in it.

I got it at Riverfront on a trip back to see some family. I brought it home and stuck it on my window - and ever since I've shown it off in every domicile I've ever lived in since. Bear in mind that I'm 27 now - so that's well over two decades of travel and dozens of new windows. I've made it a practice over the last few years to stick it in my office, and every time I move that is always one of the first items in the new house.

It probably costs a buck at the most but the fact that I've had it for so long means more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I have one - and it has no value to anyone else but myself.

It's a window decal (one of those lick 'em & stick 'em types) that I've had since I was in kindergarten. It's no bigger than the size of a wallet and is of the Reds Wishbone"C" with Mr. Red in it.

I got it at Riverfront on a trip back to see some family. I brought it home and stuck it on my window of every domicile I've ever lived in since. Bear in mind that I'm 27 now - so that's well over two decades of travel and dozens of new windows. I've made it a practice over the last few years to stick it in my office, and every time I move that is always one of the first items in the new house.

It probably costs a buck at the most but the fact that I've had it for so long means more than anything.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The 1990 World Championship Wheaties Box

Eric Davis autographed baseball

I have a Reds bobblehead bought June 28, 1975 (the Reds beat the Padres in 10 innings on a George Foster homer). Also a Reds lamp with a base made of baseballs with emblems and a batting helmet shade bought about the same time. It's pretty beat up, but I still have it.

I was at the last game at Riverfront and as the game was winding down my friend and I decided we wanted something to remember the stadium by. He ripped off one of the men's room signs on the Red level. There were several others doing this and by the time the game ended you couldn't tell which bathroom was which because all the signs were gone. He thought it out because he could slip the sign in his pocket and was good to go. I decided to go after a bigger prize, the stadium alcohol policy sign. It's a sign that displays all of the alcohol rules for the stadium and has a Budweiser logo and Reds logo. I took my jersey off and wrapped it around it to sneak it out past security and somehow it worked.

So the next winter at Redsfest I took my sign along to get some autographs. I ended up getting Larkin, Casey, Dunn, Kearns, and Boone, basically all of the big starters from the last year except Griffey (still would like to get him on it too). At Redsfest the sign never failed to crack the players up. I remember Dunn getting up from the line to go over and get a cop to arrest me for stealing. The cop took one look at it and said "That's pretty cool, I'm jealous." Lark just saw it and asked me how the heck I managed to get it. Casey also got a good chuckle out of it.

While I have autographs from some of the BRM and a 4192 poster signed by Pete, this means the most to me because of my history with it. The value this thing would have on say Ebay pales in comparison to the memories of the last game and my efforts to get it. Second to this is probably my Riverfront seat back, Red seat #11, signed by Barry Larkin.

Well I am a guy that has about every single collectible possible from the BRM era. Before I got married my house was a museum to the BRM, but a funny thing happened when i got married my wife didnt share the same desire to have her house as a baseball museum.

But any way some of my favorites are

1) A actual lineup card that was posted on the dugout wall during a 1976 game. I paid big bucks on ebay for it and it is authentic no doubt.

2) A "Budweiser salutes the 1990 World Champion Cincinnati Reds" mirror.

3) A autographed "Sporting News" with the BRM starting eight all surrounding Sparky.

4) Probally 30 -40 different magazine covers all framed from the BRM era. My favorite is the 1975 WS "Sports Illustrated" photo with Mc Enaney hugging Bench on the cover. Damn nice cover!!!

5) A Johnny Bench foul ball I caught that in a 1978 game that hit my knee and I later retrieved, I was so excited that I became sick to my stomach and couldnt go to school the next day...true story.

6) Numerous BRM posters...I still have the posters from that era even thought they are old and crumpled from years of hanging on my wall growing up. They arent worth diddly but I just cant pitch em.

7) A simple Cincinnati Reds pennant my grandparents brought me when I was 6 years old. It was the very first Reds item I had ever received and while it is very faded and dingy, it currently is hanging on the wall of my eight month old sons room.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For me it's a giant poster of the 1990 Reds showing the 6 All Stars Dibble, Sabo, Larkin, Charlton, Davis and Myers. Hubby may disagree and pick one of his Rose or Bench items. We picked up this already framed poster at a junk shop for $10 about 8 years ago.

Also like the early 70's felt pennant we picked up at a flea market a few years ago.

Memories of what once was... and could be again.

I have a signed BRM 1975 baseball. the whole team is on it.

Turn Off Ads?