Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Resisting the impulse to be optimistic.......

Resisting the impulse to be optimistic.......

Everybody talks about Arroyo, Harang, Dunn, etc., but I watched the Yankee game tonight and it was fun to see marginal prospects performing.

Votto (not really a marginal player, but an afterthought for this year) hit a clutch Homerun; Bubba Crosby made an unbelievable catch to save a late inning; Ramirez pitched himself out of a loss (I am not sure he should be our 5th starter, and he does not have overpowering stuff, but he proved he knows how to pitch!); and Shearn (did you see that moonball? He struck out two with that-amazing!)

Most of these guys are not in the "plan", but there seems to be something about the Reds this year that is special. Anyone else think so?
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Resisting the impulse to be optimistic.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Everybody talks about Arroyo, Harang, Dunn, etc., but I watched the Yankee game tonight and it was fun to see marginal prospects performing.

Votto (not really a marginal player, but an afterthought for this year) hit a clutch Homerun; Bubba Crosby made an unbelievable catch to save a late inning; Ramirez pitched himself out of a loss (I am not sure he should be our 5th starter, and he does not have overpowering stuff, but he proved he knows how to pitch!); and Shearn (did you see that moonball? He struck out two with that-amazing!)

Most of these guys are not in the "plan", but there seems to be something about the Reds this year that is special. Anyone else think so?
    To early to tell but isn't it nice to see young talent on the coming horizon? The one thing that I keep jumbling in my mind is they as in the Red's should consider is looking to deal some of that "vet bullpen" and take chances with the Salmon's and Shearn's of the system there is another guy named counta errrrrr can't say his last name as I think it may be a violation of services
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

It's a darn site better place I find myself with regard to this team than I was two years ago...

Not saying a winning season is at hand, just that there is legitimate stuff to look forward to. It's a significant step in the right direction.

Man Pills

I can't wait till this team resists the impulse to suck.

The biggest fear I have is that the offense of August and September might reappear sometime soon. I can't see a lot different in the April 2007 Reds and the August 2006 Reds. I am also fighting this optimism...hope I am wrong....Man that Hamilton kid can sure hit...Dunn seems to be really working at improving...EdE is looking great...Phillips is...Man, I think the Reds are going all the way!
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    The biggest fear I have is that the offense of August and September might reappear sometime soon. I can't see a lot different in the April 2007 Reds and the August 2006 Reds. I am also fighting this optimism...hope I am wrong....Man that Hamilton kid can sure hit...Dunn seems to be really working at improving...EdE is looking great...Phillips is...Man, I think the Reds are going all the way!
    That offense has started to slow a little the last few games. I think the offense as a whole this year will be very inconsistent, scoring 5 or 6 one game and than 1 or 2 the next. I just don't have faith in guys like Ross and Gonzo to put up decent numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Falls City: I started a thread a while back and asked who on Redszone do we most relate to. I picked three and you were one of them. I said I either totally agreed with you, or just the opposite.

Man you got up on the wrong side of the bed on this one! This is a type of post the other half of Redzone would post. Usually if you post, (and even if I don't agree, you at least have a logical point.) Where is the logic on this response? I admire you dude. Don't disappoint with responses like this!
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Falls City: I started a thread a while back and asked who on Redszone do we most relate to. I picked three and you were one of them. I said I either totally agreed with you, or just the opposite.

Man you got up on the wrong side of the bed on this one! This is a type of post the other half of Redzone would post. Usually if you post, (and even if I don't agree, you at least have a logical point.) Where is the logic on this response? I admire you dude. Don't disappoint with responses like this!
    Seven seasons of suck. When they stop sucking (nay, when they resist the impulse to suck) will be when the Reds' fortune changes. Until then--

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm afraid we're going to have to wait for WayneK to get canned for that to happen.

In a couple years, we're going to look at all the cash Wayne wasted this offseason as part of his "Grand Plan" and shake our heads.

He may have spent more unwisely than DanO did when he was handed 20 million. Consider that Gonzales + one of those vet relievers make roughly what Milton makes.

That's the tradegy, Wayne had enough money to get some players that could've actually made a difference. I'd rather overpay a few million for a good player than to hand Gonzales all that money. And Wayne doesn't get a free pass on Gonzales because he "had" to get a SS this winter. Wayne created that hole himself, ignored the possiblity of shifting Phillips to SS, and ignored the option of getting a younger, better option.

The only moves I like this offseason was getting Sarloos and getting Burton in Rule V (even if he doesn't stick).

I'm rooting for Hamilton, but let's face it, Hamilton is just a side show to take our minds off how bad this team is.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Consider that Gonzales + one of those vet relievers make roughly what Milton makes.
    Lets see...last I saw, Alex Gonzales 2007 salary is $3.5 million.

Wayne K has signed the following 'old relievers':

Dustin Hemanson 2007 salary= $.5 million (if he makes team)
    Mike Stanton 2007 salary= $2 million
    Rheal Cormier 2007 salary is $2.25 million
    Kerry Lightenberg 2007 salary is abt $.5 million (if he makes team)

Eric Milton is getting $9 million this year.

So by my calculations, Wayne K got Alex Gonzales and FOUR of the 'old relievers' for a little LESS than what Eric Milton makes.

I'm not saying these are all great signings....but Milton's was really bad.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 03-13-2007 at 02:52 PM.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

All this team needs to excel is Adam Dunn hitting .500 the rest of the year.

shouldn't be that hard.

This team, especially with the absence of Jr, still looks like they will struggle to score runs.

As much as the focus has been on pitching, I think the offense is the real problem. The pitching has some depth(maybe lacking in quality) but the offense has neither. If the guys here now don't perform there is really nowhere to turn.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think the offense as a whole this year will be very inconsistent, scoring 5 or 6 one game and than 1 or 2 the next.
    That probably describes every team in the majors.

Good pitching will always have it's way with hitters, even teams with many good hitters.

So Redread is back. See, that wasn't so tough. Did you bring the chair?

BTW, you are echoing my (and many others') off-season sentiments.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's a darn site better place I find myself with regard to this team than I was two years ago...

Not saying a winning season is at hand, just that there is legitimate stuff to look forward to. It's a significant step in the right direction.
    That's how I feel. Despite "the trade" I think Krivsky is doing a pretty solid job so far.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?