Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Tourney Brackets

Re: NCAA Tourney Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm a UC guy, so I pretty much hate anything Xavier, but how Oden didn't get an intentional foul on the last play of regulation is beyond me. He basically threw a Xavier player off the court. Unreal.
    Standard disclaimer applies. I DIDN"T SEE THE PLAY.

But I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen an intentional foul given in that situation?
    I've watched a lot of basketball, and accepting the fact better teams shouldn't get breaks but often times do, I'm curious if you think that foul was so much more egregious than most fouls at the end of the game that it deserved two shots and Xavier getting the ball.

I understand Oden shoved with two hands and knocked Cage to the ground, but I'd like for anyone to point out the last time any player was hit with and intentional foul in a situation like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

But I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen an intentional foul given in that situation?
    I've watched a lot of basketball, and accepting the fact better teams shouldn't get breaks but often times do, I'm curious if you think that foul was so much more egregious than most fouls at the end of the game that it deserved two shots and Xavier getting the ball.

I understand Oden shoved with two hands and knocked Cage to the ground, but I'd like for anyone to point out the last time any player was hit with and intentional foul in a situation like that.
    Yes, the foul was egregious. He didn't just knock him out of bounds, he flew about 6-8 feet backwards and was pushed with 2 hands by Oden. It was a punk move and he should have been T'ed up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

The intentional foul was placed into existence to protect players from getting injured in situations where one has to foul. In other words, it is in there so guys don't get tackled, taken out, etc.

This was the definition of a tackle - I understand the end of the game thing, but grabbing Cage (who was standing flat-footed) who have gotten the foul called just the same. Instead he literally body blocked him
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

That's a fair point Puffy. I just think people are slightly over reacting.

To say the refs screwed Xavier when Xavier blew a 9 point lead and had 2 free throws to ice the game is going a bit far.

I'm just saying I'd be surprised if in the situation(especially considering who was playing) they would call an intentional foul.

By the way, I don't think the relative ranking of the two teams should come into play, but its clear that it does in almost every game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Oh, Xavier has no one to blame but themselves. They changed their offense way too early instead of just staying with their game. They let Ohio State back into the game.

And if Cage just makes that second free throw none of it matters.

But still, whether it affected the outcome or not that was an intentional foul. It turns out to have affected the outcome, but thats X's fault and not the refs.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Whats your overall record in your bracket so far???
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    And if Cage just makes that second free throw none of it matters.
    BINGO!

I thought the game was over. I didn't get to see the first half, but watched, with intensity, the second. One heck of a game. I told some co-workers of mine Friday night that OSU had better be careful with Xavier. They told me OSU wouldn't have any problem. I said "OK, we'll see."

What I have like seeing about OSU is that it has been different players stepping up and being key in various wins. Jamar Butler is a local boy from up around here (Lima, Ohio). Yesterday it was Ron Lewis.

I don't think Xavier choked this game. I think they gave it all they had. I just feel OSU finally, at the end and in OT, played with the intensity that was needed to get the win.

But I still feel that their immaturity (youth) is what is possibly gonna be their downfall in this tourney. But the funny thing is - I think they'll win the next game versus the winner of the Virginia/Tennessee game and make it to the Elite 8. That's as far I said they will go. After that, all bets are off from me.

Games, like what happened yesterday, has proven this year to wake this OSU team up. And Oden doesn't have two bad games in a row.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    BINGO!

I thought the game was over. I didn't get to see the first half, but watched, with intensity, the second. One heck of a game. I told some co-workers of mine Friday night that OSU had better be careful with Xavier. They told me OSU wouldn't have any problem. I said "OK, we'll see."

What I have like seeing about OSU is that it has been different players stepping up and being key in various wins. Jamar Butler is a local boy from up around here (Lima, Ohio). Yesterday it was Ron Lewis.
    It is when the Ohio State team plays as a team that the various players step up using the talents that they have instead of relying on Oden, Oden, Oden, I think.

I don't think Xavier choked this game. I think they gave it all they had. I just feel OSU finally, at the end and in OT, played with the intensity that was needed to get the win.
    Ohio State played with the speed and intensity when and after Oden fouled out, they then had the other players step up as you mentioned above.

But I still feel that their immaturity (youth) is what is possibly gonna be their downfall in this tourney. But the funny thing is - I think they'll win the next game versus the winner of the Virginia/Tennessee game and make it to the Elite 8. That's as far I said they will go. After that, all bets are off from me.
    I think that their downfall will be trying to go away from what made them successful before Oden came back from his injury, trying to make him to much a part of the game instead of playing with the intensity that you speak of and utilizing each of the other players talents. The guards and the forwards need to be in the forefront and Oden needs to play as the support system to them. They have the speed, balance, defense, scoring talent etc. Oden missed simple bunny shots yesterday, something other than a tip in or dunk, or the game would have not been in OT. I would like Ohio States chances better if the guards and forwards were the main factor and Oden secondary to defend, intimidate, take away the easy basket for the other teams and yes add his occasional dunk and tip in.

Games, like what happened yesterday, has proven this year to wake this OSU team up. And Oden doesn't have two bad games in a row.
    Oden is now playing against the best talent in college ball, he doesn’t have the luxury of playing against inferior teams from the second round forward, so he could have what appears to be additional bad games. He was suppose to have good games against lesser talents.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Whats your overall record in your bracket so far???
    33-9
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I'm in... and thanks!
    Well, I missed out...namely because I'm cheap and didn't want to spring for Internet access down in Sarasota. Anyhoo, my bracket would've been toast...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

For a Level Playing Field

Bump... in case anyone wants to check the standings with the link in post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurn View Post
    I think I won it last year...
    Back-2-Back :

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurn View Post
    Back-2-Back :
    Congrats, Burn! Florida's victory tonight pushed me way up the ladder to second place right behind ya, but you still beat me by 10 points.

You actually nailed the championship game with Florida beating Ohio State as well as nailing three out of four Final Four teams and seven of eight Elite Eight teams, and that's quite impressive. I was able to pick three of the four Final Four teams, but missed the championship game loser (I picked Florida over Georgetown). I also only picked six of eight Elite Eight teams, and I ended up missing Texas and Memphis.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 04-03-2007 at 02:33 AM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Congrats to The Burn. Florida and The Burn go back-to-back. I must have bumped my head on bracket day, because I picked Memphis to win it all. And with that pick settled comfortably back into the pack.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Congrats to The Burn. Florida and The Burn go back-to-back. I must have bumped my head on bracket day, because I picked Memphis to win it all. And with that pick settled comfortably back into the pack.
    I came in DEAD LAST (well, except for those with empty brackets). Can only improve from here, I guess.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?