Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ravens Trade for Willis McGahee

University of Cincinnati

Ravens Trade for Willis McGahee

Seems like everyone else is making noise except us....

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008, league sources said.

Jeremy Green's take
    The Ravens reacted quickly to the loss of Jamal Lewis to Cleveland by trading for Buffalo's Willis McGahee, a running back with a lot more versatility than Lewis. McGahee can run inside and outside, is a lot quicker to the hole and can make people miss. It's a huge upgrade for the Ravens, because Lewis was basically a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust runner at this point. He was a sitting duck for tacklers, while McGahee is much more of a moving target.

Buffalo dealt McGahee in anticipation of difficulty with his contract, which has one season remaining at $2.155 million. The Ravens and McGahee have already begun negotiations on a contract extension, McGahee's agent Drew Rosenhaus said.

It's the second year in a row the Ravens pulled off a trade for a marquee veteran. Last year they dealt for Tennessee Titans quarteback Steve McNair, who led the Ravens to the AFC North title.

The Titans were also reportedly interested in dealing for McGahee.

The Bills, whose remaining running backs are Daimon Shelton and Shaud Williams, are now in the market for multiple backs. They have shown interest in the Colts' Dominic Rhodes and the Titans' Chris Brown, and both have visited the team. Former Patriots running back Corey Dillon has not visited Orchard Park, but the Bills are said to be interested.

Buffalo's first-round pick out of Miami in 2003, McGahee is coming off a down season in which he finished with a career-low 990 yards rushing, but led the team with six rushing touchdowns in 14 starts.

In 2005, he had 1,247 yards rushing and five touchdowns in 15 starts. He established himself as the Bills starter in 2004 with 1,128 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns in 11 starts. That performance led the team to trade former starter Travis Henry to Tennessee the following summer.

McGahee sat out his rookie season recovering from major knee surgery.

The Bills have been disappointed in McGahee for conducting most of his offseason workouts in his native Miami, rather than traveling to the team's Orchard Park headquarters. McGahee also created a stir when he was quoted in a magazine article suggesting the NFL consider moving the Bills to Toronto, a comment he later said was taken out of context.
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ravens Trade for Willis McGahee

Great move for Baltimore.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Great move for Baltimore.
    They should have just held on to Chester Taylor.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    They should have just held on to Chester Taylor.
    Agreed.

I haven't liked McGahee in the NFL. Its been my observation (and I'm by no means an expert) that he never seems to hit the line with any sort of authority or a full head of steam. I think he's an OK back, but he's by no means a gamebreaker or really anything special.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    Seems like everyone else is making noise except us....
    And us. (Colts)
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I am not really sure why this is such a great move.

I won't lose much sleep over a guy who doesn't even have a career yards per carry average above 4.0.

Just a really stupid move by Baltimore. The Ravens gave up two 1st day draft picks for a RB who is really no better than what they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And us. (Colts)
    Colts won a Super Bowl, that means they don't have to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Colts won a Super Bowl, that means they don't have to do anything.
    Not if they want to win another one.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Agreed.

I haven't liked McGahee in the NFL. Its been my observation (and I'm by no means an expert) that he never seems to hit the line with any sort of authority or a full head of steam. I think he's an OK back, but he's by no means a gamebreaker or really anything special.

IMO
    This is absolutely foolishness. McGahee is a dominant starting back with an above average combo of power and speed (similar to Larry Johnson). McGahee vs Chester Taylor is like comparing Aaron Harang to Gil Meche. BOth are above average but only one is actually worth his contract

McGahee has been stuck within the confides of an offense that is as efficient as a toddler's coloring ability. Offensive coordinator's play calling and the inability for losman to throw an accurate pass tto anyone on his team have stymied his stats. Also if he were running the rock for the steelers or 'boys then everyone would be raving about this kid.

Mark my words Willis rushes for 1500+ and 8+tds this year.

Regardless of how good McGahee is, he gets to run against the Bengals defense at least twice a year. That alone should be good for about 150 yards a game...

Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking the Ravens are about to get burned by Drew Rosenhaus again. McGahee was set to hold out in Buffalo since he's in the last year of a deal that would only pay him 2.15 mil this year. There's no indication that just since he's switching teams the holdout is over. The Ravens already got screwed in the TO deal, looks like Rosenhaus may get them again.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Regardless of how good McGahee is, he gets to run against the Bengals defense at least twice a year. That alone should be good for about 150 yards a game...
    Even more when he goes against the Browns.

Turn Off Ads?