Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notes: Reds renew Phillips' contract

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Notes: Reds renew Phillips' contract

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm sure we've all had some ineffective bosses that we liked a lot. I know I have.
    You know, alot of times it's those "ineffective" ones we like the most.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Narron's career winning percentage as a manager is .473.
    Not bad for a guy that was pretty much forced to send garbage out to the mound in 60% of the games he managed last year.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Like Phillips, I like Jerry Narron, too.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    You know, alot of times it's those "ineffective" ones we like the most.
    Yeah, it's fun working for them. But it's usually short-lived, because productivity goes down and they get fired.

I'm glad the players like Narron, but given a choice, I'd much rather have grumpy players who can win ballgames.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not bad for a guy that was pretty much forced to send garbage out to the mound in 60% of the games he managed last year.
    He might have had garbage, but a decent manager knows how to maximize whatever garbage he is saddled with. Narron consistently left Milton (a 5-inning pitcher) in games too long, trying to squeeze one more inning out of him. And what he did to Ramirez is nearly unforgivable.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-10-2007 at 11:27 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yeah, it's fun working for them. But it's usually short-lived, because productivity goes down and they get fired.

I'm glad the players like Narron, but given a choice, I'd much rather have grumpy players who can win ballgames.
    Indeed. Narron consistently seems in over his head in late-game situations. Nothing ever seems the logical outgrowth of forethought or scheme with him. With McKeon, for instance, you knew what you were going to get, right or wrong; with Jerry, it's like a chimp playing chess--maybe he'll get checkmate or maybe he'll throw poop at his opponent.

I'm sure Jerry's a supernice guy, but I sincerely doubt he's all that respected by the team, in the way, say, Larkin was respected by his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    ... with Jerry, it's like a chimp playing chess--maybe he'll get checkmate or maybe he'll throw poop at his opponent.
    I would buy a Narron jersey and wear it every day for a year if he did that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

That's quote worthy FCB, good work
    Go Gators!

Monger

The Narron-loving-head-examination issue aside, it is really nice to hear BP taking about wanting to stay with the Reds. Perhaps its just PR, but its still nice.

I agree that BP seems like a fun\happy guy. Does anyone know anymore details about the basis for his bad reputation in cleveland? I remember that he was labeled a bit of a malcontent but i dont remember any of the reasons.
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

They didn't like him because he jokingly had batting gloves with "The Franchise" printed on them.

From all the things I've heard, the irony was lost on the powers that were in Cleveland.

I'm sure he did a lot of what most immature young guys do from time to time.

Much to our pleasure (and the chagrin of Cleveland fans), he seems to have grown up without losing his childlike love and passion for the game.

I love players like him.

As far as his comments about Narron....I can see why players like playing for him, lineups and results notwithstanding. Sometimes being a player's manager is good thing, sometimes it isn't.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

The thing that stands out to me most about Philips? He's the player I see out signing autographs along the 1b line most often. At least, he was out signing the most often (and the longest each time) at the 21 games I was at last year.

Doesn't mean squat on the field. Off the field it says a whole lot about the man.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'll never forget talking to Brandon at Wrigley a few days after we traded for him last year. He was walking into the dugout, and I yelled "Hey Brandon", and he was like "Your the first person this week that's known my name." We laughed and I asked him for his autograph and he told me he would after he hit (in batting practice). Well after he hit not only did he sign my baseball, he gave me his batting gloves and talked to me for a few minutes about what was a Reds fan doing in Chicago and things like that.

He's an awesome guy.
    Last edited by reds44; 03-14-2007 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?