Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does WLW regret canning Furman??

Does WLW regret canning Furman??

I wonder if the powers that be at WLW regret canning Furman. Not that I was ever that big a fan of his but it appears he's getting established at 96.5. Meanwhile you have Seg Dennison who apparently is one heck of a guy to know but for the love of God he can't put two sentences together verbally. Then you have a guy (Gamble) who auditions for the job, gets it, then a month later says, Oh i don't want this???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does WLW regret canning Furman??

Doubt it Furman doesn't talk about sports.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

WLW Sports Talk hasn't been the same since Trumpy and then Collinsworth left. They were professionals.

I personally miss Furman. Where is he nowadays?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

They shouldn't if they do.
    Go Gators!

Furman is an Idiot and a Phony. Gamble is almost as bad.

It would be a great concept for WLW to hire someone who actualy likes and is willing to talk about sports to host a show called SportsTalk.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It would be a great concept for WLW to hire someone who actualy likes and is willing to talk about sports to host a show called SportsTalk.
    Wouldn't it be great to get someone like Barry Larkin for that job? I know that Barry would probably never consider something like that (be like bro Byron!), but it would be great. A former Cincy pro athlete (like Collinsworth & Trumpy) who can speak fairly intelligent.

I used to listen to Sportstalk, even when Furman was there, but I haven't for quite some time. Doesn't do much for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doubt it Furman doesn't talk about sports.

Neither does Seg, all he talks about is Nascar.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I personally miss Furman. Where is he nowadays?

96.5 on your FM dial.

He's 30-40% more intolerable there than he used to be. The one time I listened, he went on and on about how Nancy Zimpher should be fired. Not because she's incompetant or evil or anything like that. But because she's ugly.

Nice work, Furball.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yes, and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't return to that. Like I said earlier, Trumpy and later Collinsworth hosted a show with substance. I'm sure they have the financial resources to go out and get the talent. Does drivel really bring in more listeners than good, solid discussion of sports?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Neither does Seg, all he talks about is Nascar.
    A long time ago when I worked with Seg, he talked about NASCAR all the time. I tried to be nice about my disdain, asking him questions to hopefully give me some insight that would make the sport click in my head but it never did.

Seg was a terrific guy to me, just awesome.

A few things stick out in my mind about those days: Seg's love for NASCAR and Scott Springer's love for Kathy Ireland.

I agree.............I had to get an XM to get a decent sportstalk show around here. The 2 angry guys gripe and moan all morning long, I couldn't take it anymore.

Gamble has been much better than Furman ever was. I enjoy Gamble's perspective, and surly attitude. He will tell a caller that their opinion is stupid, and I am glad he does. He will dog Adam Dunn for being a loafing defensive mess, with a propensity to strikeout too much. He will is also quick to point out his value to the offense, when callers suggest the Reds should trade him for a empty sack of Grippos.

Furman would have talked about how some out of market commentator called Dunn a "country boy", and discussed how we should feel about that, and if it is racism.

I love Seg but there is a reason he doesn't have a gig during the week. He is too nice, and as nice as he is, he does stumble over his words some. I don't like Nascar, so I can't stand his show on the weekends.

I like Sportstalk on WLW, I hope they can come up with someone who talks Sports. Someone who knows baseball, pro and college football, and college basketball, or other relevent sporting events. I don't want to hear talk about racism of announcers for days on end, or how to start to train for a marathon, or how to buy exercise clothes.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Yes, and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't return to that. Like I said earlier, Trumpy and later Collinsworth hosted a show with substance. I'm sure they have the financial resources to go out and get the talent. Does drivel really bring in more listeners than good, solid discussion of sports?
    Substance has fallen to the wayside in local sportstalk radio.

Lance McAlister, isthe best this market has to offer. His show is the most informative of the bunch.. whenever he's not talking about his favorite TV shows.

Skinner... At least he is a sports fan with an opinion and is willing to discuss it.

Tom Gamble likes to ***** and whine about anything and everything. He is a real mans man don't ya know.

Furman..

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    WLW Sports Talk hasn't been the same since Trumpy and then Collinsworth left. They were professionals.
    You hit the nail on the head here !

Turn Off Ads?