Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Reds Leaders?

  1. #1
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Reds Leaders?

    I am way down here in Texas and so I have limited access to Reds' information. I am wondering, however, who provides the leadership on the club? Barry Larkin struck me as a real leader. I read that Greg Vaughn was a leader in the clubhouse. Perhaps Sean Casey filled that role for a couple of years. Leadership, playing the game the right way, professionalism and scrap-ocity are not as important as talent IMO. But I do think these qualities are of some importance. In 2007 who is it that will provide the leadership?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    A lot of the guys talk about watching how Griffey goes about his business and emulating him.

    As a somewhat more vocal member of the Griffey clique (and a clubhouse cutup), Dunn probably attracts a certain number of followers.

    The pitchers talk a lot about David Weathers and his influence.
    Makes all the routine posts.

  4. #3
    Gary Redus Ruled
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Albion NY
    Posts
    461

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    How about this Red Leader?

    Species:
    Human

    Gender:
    Male

    Weapon:
    Blaster pistol

    Vehicle:
    X-wing starfighter

    Affiliation:
    Rebel Alliance





    A capable and well-respected pilot, Red Leader referred to the squadron under his command as "Red Boys," showing an almost fatherly role of command. Red Leader, who was known to some as Dave, had a chance at destroying the Death Star during the Battle of Yavin. His shots, unfortunately, missed the critical thermal exhaust port, just impacting on the surface. He was killed shortly thereafter when his fighter was destroyed by Darth Vader.
    Hoping for another Reds October

  5. #4
    College Kid
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Bend / Cincinnati
    Posts
    43

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    I have also wondered about this team's leadership. Griffey, as mentioned above, is more of a lead-by-example guy. Other guys such as Adam Dunn, Scott Hatteberg, David Ross, and Weathers seem like adequate candidates.

    Paul Wilson, if he makes the team, looks like he could fit the bill of a Pete Harnisch type role. Old, battle-hardened, tough.

  6. #5
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,254

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    How about this Red Leader?

    Species:
    Human

    Gender:
    Male

    Weapon:
    Blaster pistol

    Vehicle:
    X-wing starfighter

    Affiliation:
    Rebel Alliance





    A capable and well-respected pilot, Red Leader referred to the squadron under his command as "Red Boys," showing an almost fatherly role of command. Red Leader, who was known to some as Dave, had a chance at destroying the Death Star during the Battle of Yavin. His shots, unfortunately, missed the critical thermal exhaust port, just impacting on the surface. He was killed shortly thereafter when his fighter was destroyed by Darth Vader.
    Don't forget Porkins

    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    64

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    dunn

  8. #7
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    I think this a big question mark on this club...Junior would be your ideal candidate because of his personal accomplishments and struggles.

    I'd say Conine has to be considered a leader...Weathers...Beyond that I think it is open for whoever takes it.

    I don't buy that Dunn is a leader on the team. One of the reasons they traded Kearns away was because of his influence on Dunn...only this season has Dunn shown up to camp in shape and with an idea that he needs to prove something...perhaps that is the tide turning for him to develop into the player he needs to be.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  9. #8
    Ex-Tree
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    246

    Re: Reds Leaders?



    Stay on target!
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

  10. #9
    Member Jerry Narron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    161

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Scott Hatteberg and Adam Dunn are very good leaders in the clubhouse.

  11. #10
    Member Z-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    488

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    Scott Hatteberg and Adam Dunn are very good leaders in the clubhouse.
    What makes you say that Jerry?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    195

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    Scott Hatteberg and Adam Dunn are very good leaders in the clubhouse.
    Theres a difference between charisma and leadership.

    Griffey is the closest thing to a leader this Reds team has at the moment. Hopefully someone will step up this year and take charge.

  13. #12
    Member Z-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    488

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    Theres a difference between charisma and leadership.

    Griffey is the closest thing to a leader this Reds team has at the moment. Hopefully someone will step up this year and take charge.
    Does anyone else remember when Griffey came over saying he was glad Larkin was here because he doesn't feel comfortable in a leader's role?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

  14. #13
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Arroyo - yes. Harang is more quiet, not a leader type.

    Phillips has the personality to be a leader in the future.

    Role players like Hat, Conine, Weathers can help the younger guys but the team leader needs to be a big part of the teams success, not a role player.

    Dunn & Griffey are not leaders.
    .

  15. #14
    You're Welcome
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Mythological Land of Dayton, OH
    Posts
    403

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    About Arroyo... I just have to underline what somebody already said: Charisma does NOT equal Character. And it sure as hell doesn't equal Leadership.

    I remember the stories from the all-star break last year, and there's the insinuations about Bronson's 10am Flu Bug last weekend... none of which I mind. It's kinda funny and cool. Arroyo's a guy I'd like to have a beer with. Maybe try to steer him towards a less crappy band. If my girlfriend decided to have an inoperable crush on him, more power to her (as long as she also admitted that she'd not go within 10 feet of the guy if he had his wiggertastic cornrows in). In short: I *like* Bronson Arroyo, but from what I gather, there's nothing even CLOSE to the Gravitas necessary to be a Team Leader. He's a guy you put on the cover of a media guide, and who you sell lots of his jerseys; he's not, however, the proverbial Leader of Men and Mover of Women. He's kinda fluffy. Not substantial. But hopefully "fluffy" with a sub-4.50 ERA and about 15 wins per year between now and 2010. That'd do me fine.

    Harang, on the other hand? Just because you find "talking to the media" to be a pointless chore doesn't mean you lack interpresonal skills. Guy seems like a rock to me: somebody you can look up to, get advice from, and talk baseball to, instead of just want to go out and get wasted with.

    Dunn, too, is an interesting case study, here. I know most poeple loathe the Yankees and such, but let's face it: if you could have a Derek Jeter come up once every 15 years, you would soil your man-panties daily at the mere thought of it. But guys who can come up and "lead" from age 22 are rare, and so instead, most teams have to "develop" leaders over time. Dunn? Hey, I'm neither one of his defenders nor his bashers (last year, I think he was overpaid versus his performance, but the sad truth is that he could have the same year this year and his pay would be equal to performance just because of the way the economics of the game changed around him, so I see no reason to go fire-sale-ing the dude).... somehow, if the departure of his clown-around-buddy Kearns and the impending departure of Junior add up to him "getting it," I can think of no better guy to have gone through a maturation process and EARNED the respect of a team than Dunn. (And, if this appears to be happening, then to have EARNED a long-term contract, too.)

    It's on him to step it up, though. Till then, I'm not really sure this team has ANYbody who has the overall package that you just go slap a Captain's "C" on their chest, like we had with Larkin. Maybe Junior. Maybe. But even if Griffey's your answer, he's only your answer for another year or so, so....

    Well, that'd just land us back here at the start of the discussion before too long, now wouldn't it?
    Last edited by FlightRick; 03-10-2007 at 11:42 PM.

  16. #15
    Gary Redus Ruled
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Albion NY
    Posts
    461

    Re: Reds Leaders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Don't forget Porkins

    How could I forget hhhahahaha, Excellent yachtzee
    Hoping for another Reds October


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25