Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Phillips: Reds Making Mistake with Hamilton

Steve Phillips: Reds Making Mistake with Hamilton

No mention that the Cubs drafted him first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...eve&id=2792089

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Phillips: Reds Making Mistake with Hamilton

Phillips makes it sound as if the REDS had a choice. Or better said their only choice was to take Hamilton. After that...its big leagues or bust.

I'd say it's RULE V that needs a little flexibility.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Sports has always been about those with greater talent get more chances and opportunities to prove they aren't worthy. The size of your bonus goes a long way to determining the size of your opportunity.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Victor Zambrano, now he EARNED it.

Scott Kazmir, snotty kid, he hadn't.

That trade comes clearer now...

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    No mention that the Cubs drafted him first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...eve&id=2792089
    Second paragraph it was mentioned.

Phillips does bring up an interesting point about how other minor leaguers will react. IMO, that's part of the business, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    IMO, that's part of the business, though.
    some 20th round pick from last year just isn't going to get the chances that Stubbs will, no matter how hard he works. That's just a hard fact of the sports business, those with greater talent get greater chances.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

It has always been my opinion that whoever plays the best gets the job. Right now Hamilton is outplaying several of the Reds in the OF. That is the best message that he can send to those players who are feeling any amount of resentment towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    some 20th round pick from last year just isn't going to get the chances that Stubbs will, no matter how hard he works. That's just a hard fact of the sports business, those with greater talent get greater chances.

Boy, you'd think Phillips would kinda know that, being a former GM and all...

Like I said above, that article makes clear a lot of things about his tenure with the Mets...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Victor Zambrano, now he EARNED it.

Scott Kazmir, snotty kid, he hadn't.

That trade comes clearer now...

Phillips didn't make that deal...Duquette did.

But Phillips, who sometimes gets a timeslot on NY sports talk radio, is a buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Phillips didn't make that deal...Duquette did.

But Phillips, who sometimes gets a timeslot on NY sports talk radio, is a buffoon.
    Rats. Really? I always blamed Phillips for that one.

Yup, Jim Duquette. My bad, Steve Phillips. I will think bad of you for other things, then.

Edited to add:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Phillips

Phillips' wikipedia page is an interesting read:

Steve Phillips (born on May 18, 1963) was the general manager of the New York Mets from 1997-2003. He was promoted to General Manager of Baseball Operations on July 16, 1997 [1], took a leave of absence between November 8 and November 16 of 1998, and was fired on June 12, 2003.[2]

Phillips credits include acquiring stars such as Al Leiter, Mike Piazza, and Robin Ventura.

Phillips lead them to the World Series against the New York Yankees in 2000, is credited with drafting David Wright and acquiring Jose Reyes. For a brief stint in 1998, he resigned as general manager because of a sexual harassment suit; Phillips admitted to adultery but denied harassment, and the civil suit was settled out of court.[1] Phillips was fired as the general manager on June 12, 2003, after consecutive disappointing seasons following the World Series appearance.

Although Phillips is sometimes blamed for trading away Scott Kazmir, in fact, he had been fired over thirteen months before that trade, which was the responsibility of Jim Duquette. He did, however, trade away future all-stars Jason Bay and Melvin Mora. Also, he was responsible for some dubious trades that ended up being disasters for the Mets, such as Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-09-2007 at 01:15 PM.

When I first saw the thread title I thought this was Brandon Phillips who was upset.

When I first saw the thread, I let out on uh-oh because I thought it was Brandon Phillips,
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If the Yankees, Mets, or Bosox had made this selection, or had the Cubs kept Hamilton for themselves, it would have been heralded as a mark of pure genius by all the pundits, Steve Phillips included.

A team in flyover country pulls it off, and it's suspect for a number of reasons.

It's business, pure and simple.

yeah, yeah, yeah....

you can get your hand slapped for juicing while all those non-juicing minor leaguers get a pat on the back and a bus ticket back home -- is there a message there?

way to take a stand, Steve....

Hamilton has worked his way back -- from way back -- to being a talented baseball player -- and he ain't juicing. That's enough for me.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?