Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Delp of Boston has died

Brad Delp of Boston has died

For a while 30 years ago, these guys were huge.

Boston lead singer Brad Delp dies at 55

03/09/2007 8:31 PM, AP

Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.

He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, according to the group's official Web site. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.

The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.

On Friday night, the Web site was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.

___
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Brad Delp of Boston has died

I realize that it's corporate rock, and not to everyone's taste. But it astounds me that the First Boston album was released over 30 years ago.

Listen to the first album through a good pair of speakers, and the sound quality rivals anything put out today. Way ahead of its time.

The guy had a great voice. RIP.
    Stick to your guns.

Their debut album is, IMHO, one of the great rock albums of all time - and More Than A Feeling is one of the most majestic songs ever recorded.
    On my very first day at Bowling Green State University, that was the first song I heard, as it was blaring from the window of another dorm across the campus. I knew then how much I belonged.
    May Brad rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I realize that it's corporate rock, and not to everyone's taste. But it astounds me that the First Boston album was released over 30 years ago.

Listen to the first album through a good pair of speakers, and the sound quality rivals anything put out today. Way ahead of its time.

The guy had a great voice. RIP.
    You hit the nail on the head, chili. The first time I heard the Boston debut album in the early 80s I was mesmerized. That album was released in 1976 and I couldn't get over how great the sound quality was. Tom Scholz was way ahead of his time, and those first two albums still never fail to impress with their sound quality and guitar advances.

I would loved to have seen this group in concert one more time. Rest in peace, Brad.

By the way, those of you who are too young to have ever listened to Boston, get your hands on a CD of their first two albums (Boston from 1976 and Don't Look Back from 1978) and play them on a really good sound system. If you are an aspring guitarist or drummer, you'll be especially interested.

We used to listen to the first album back in the early 80's all the time. RIP Brad.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    By the way, those of you who are too young to have ever listened to Boston, get your hands on a CD of their first two albums (Boston from 1976 and Don't Look Back from 1978) and play them on a really good sound system. If you are an aspring guitarist or drummer, you'll be especially interested.
    Too young? Am I already too old then?

About two months ago though I did make up a CD comprised of their first 3 albums. I remember when they, as well as Kansas, Foreigner, and Van Halen first hit the music scene back in the mid-late 70's. Of the group I was most impressed with Boston and Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. There were a few times when I thought we were gonna get arrested for cranking up VH's "Eruption".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I remember I was a sophomore in high school when the first album came out. I had the 8 track tape, and nearly wore it out. I know, some of you are asking, "What's and 8 track tape?"

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I remember I was a sophomore in high school when the first album came out. I had the 8 track tape, and nearly wore it out. I know, some of you are asking, "What's and 8 track tape?"
    Didn't ya just love the track changing in the middle of songs!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I had an 8 track player in the first new car I bought - a Chevette! Someone tried to steal it from the car the first night I moved into a new house! Imagine somebody stealing an 8-track now!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I had an 8 track player in the first new car I bought - a Chevette! Someone tried to steal it from the car the first night I moved into a new house! Imagine somebody stealing an 8-track now!
    Imagine someone casing a Chevette, thinking, "Man, there's got to be a kickin' system in that bird."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I have an 8 track system in my 1974 Cuda.

I wish i could find someone to fix it and make it work again.

As a punk rocker from the late 70's and most of the early 80's,,,,Boston was like a bad taste in my mouth. Would not even think of listening to it.
    I realized the error of my ways later....as i realized punk was more of a statement to apathy and conformity, then it was to how the music was played.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Their debut album is, IMHO, one of the great rock albums of all time - and More Than A Feeling is one of the most majestic songs ever recorded.
    On my very first day at Bowling Green State University, that was the first song I heard, as it was blaring from the window of another dorm across the campus. I knew then how much I belonged.
    May Brad rest in peace.
    Hey! Another BG Grad!

You can place me with the 8-track crowd too. I had both of their first two albums on 8-track and nearly wore them both out. Once they came out on CD, they were in heavy rotation in college as well.

RIP Brad.

I have an 8 track system in my 1974 Cuda.
    I had one in my 69 Camaro... but I was playing Springsteen and Little Feat.

Turn Off Ads?