Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Extra Innings - help?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

MLB Extra Innings - help?

So I just read this press release from Direct TV. I get the gist of it -- Comcast & DISH Network will have the ability to provide EI if they pony up the cash. But am I missing anything?

I just bought an HDTV (40" Sony Bravia LCD, 10 minutes ago) and now need my baseball to go with it. Should I wait and see how this plays out? Direct TV seems more expensive and satellite scares me a bit given Chicago weather. Any help?

MLB, DIRECTV EXTEND, EXPAND MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT

Deal Includes Launch of The MLB Channel, Carriage Rights to MLB EXTRA INNINGS Package
    March 8, 2007

Major League Baseball and DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite provider, today announced a seven-year agreement that continues carriage rights to the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and includes the launch of the MLB Channel as part of DIRECTV's basic package. Included within the agreement, DIRECTV will be a minority partner in the MLB Channel, and will work with MLB to develop the network, which will launch in 2009.

Additionally, in keeping with MLB's desire to provide as much MLB programming to as many baseball fans as possible, MLB and DIRECTV have agreed to include a provision that allows MLB EXTRA INNINGS to be offered to other incumbents - In Demand and DISH Network - at consistent rates and carriage requirements with a deal to be concluded before the baseball season begins. The provision also requires the incumbents to agree to carriage rights to the MLB Channel proportionally equivalent to DIRECTV's commitment. Should the incumbents decide not to match DIRECTV's commitment, the MLB EXTRA INNINGS package will be exclusive to DIRECTV. All out of market games continue to be available on MLB.com.

"With the advent of The MLB Channel, our new agreement with DIRECTV will result in more MLB programming being available to more fans than ever before," said Major League Baseball President Bob DuPuy. "The deal complements our deals with FOX, Turner and ESPN for network game coverage and furthers MLB's initiative to continue to enhance fans' viewing experience and reinvigorate our telecasts with unique and innovative features." "Just as we did with NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NASCAR HOTPASS, DIRECTV will invest millions of dollars to deliver a spectacular fan experience," said Chase Carey, President and CEO of DIRECTV. "DIRECTV will offer more games in HD and apply its award-winning technology to MLB EXTRA INNINGS broadcasts on an unprecedented scale, taking fans deeper inside the game than ever before."

DIRECTV, continuing its 10-year relationship with MLB and its fans by providing MLB EXTRA INNINGS, will bring new innovations that will enhance the fan experience. The MLB Channel will be the first and only network dedicated to providing baseball programming to MLB fans 24 hours a day, seven days a week on a year-round basis.

DIRECTV will expand the MLB EXTRA INNINGS options to include a game mosaic channel, a Strike Zone Channel that takes viewers to live cut-ins of MLB games in progress at key points; detailed player and team stats, real-time scores and live updates from other games; and other innovations that complement the sport of baseball, entertain viewers and provide fans with a great entertainment value. Beginning in 2008, DIRECTV will provide most, if not all, of the package in High Definition.

Major League Baseball will continue to make available more games by far than any other sport on national and local over-the-air broadcast, basic cable, and satellite. On average, approximately 400 game telecasts are available in each market every season. Fans will continue to be able to watch their home club's games in their home markets. This agreement will not affect MLB's national agreements with FOX, TBS, and ESPN, nor does local game telecasts.

The MLB Channel will launch in 2009 on DIRECTV, ensuring that the Channel is immediately available as part of DIRECTVs basic service. DIRECTV's commitment to carry the Channel as a basic service to more than 15 million homes was a major factor in the long-term agreement between the provider and MLB.

"We are quite pleased with the commitment DIRECTV has made to MLB and our fans, and in the coming weeks will continue our efforts to secure corresponding commitments from our incumbent distributors," said Tim Brosnan, Executive Vice President/Business, Major League Baseball.

Last year, more than half of the subscribers of MLB EXTRA INNINGS were DIRECTV customers. MLB.TV, MLB's broadband package, will continue to be available to all consumers through the Major League Baseball website, www.mlb.com, offering upgraded picture quality this season.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Extra Innings - help?

The cable companies and DISH have to do more than just pay the money. They also have to promise to distribute the baseball chanel (starting in 2009) to at least 80% of their customers. So they would have to put it on their basic tier. That is why it is highly unlikely the cable companies will have EI.
    This thread discusses the situation:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54807

i've had directv for about 3 or 4 years now...i only got it for the mlb package...personally, i think satellite service blows, as it goes out a lot more often than cable...however, the prospects of the all mlb channel and having all channels in hd is an improvement...i've had my eye on the sony bravia, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...let us know what you think after you've had a chance to tinker around with it...for now, you may just want to ask your current provider what their intentions are

personally, i think satellite service blows, as it goes out a lot more often than cable.
    Six years for me, never been down longer then 10 minutes, plus a much better user interface IMO, I have cable modem... but even if they bundle all the other stuff together I'll stay with DirecTV, it's just a juicer package then cable is.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    i've had directv for about 3 or 4 years now...i only got it for the mlb package...personally, i think satellite service blows, as it goes out a lot more often than cable...however, the prospects of the all mlb channel and having all channels in hd is an improvement...i've had my eye on the sony bravia, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...let us know what you think after you've had a chance to tinker around with it...for now, you may just want to ask your current provider what their intentions are
    I have no current provider -- even for basic cable

Got so used to living the life of a poor college kid that after getting a real job and living the cheap life for a few years, I now have some money to spend.

So the choice is either satellite or comcast. With Comcast I can roll my Internet in too and I like the On Demand feature. But I'm still not clear on the implications for EI in the next 2 years. I'll check out the other thread.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Had DirecTV for 10 years, echo WOY. Other than extremely brief outages during the hardest of rains, never had a problem.

Now, back when I had cable? When that stuff would go out, it would go out for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Had DirecTV for 10 years, echo WOY. Other than extremely brief outages during the hardest of rains, never had a problem.

Now, back when I had cable? When that stuff would go out, it would go out for long periods of time.
    Plus most cable companies have incredibly poor service compared to Directv... I have never been on hold with DTV for longer then 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plus most cable companies have incredibly poor service compared to Directv... I have never been on hold with DTV for longer then 5 minutes.
    who do you know that works there

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

funny how the only time i ever lost my cable service, was when the neighbor cut the line by mistake ...otherwise, it never went out...now directv is another story...it's not like it goes out every storm, but when you go from never to about 10 times a year, it's annoying...most of the time it only lasts for about 15 minutes or so, but that's long enough to screw up whatever you were watching...

I once lost the OSU/Notre Dame game (I think it was 1995) when my cable went out in Springfield, Oh. I called (and called and called and called and called) and they finally dealt with it, hours later, and explained that a squirrel had gotten fried and it messed things up. I don't even know if that's possible.

TimeWarner used to sneeze and go out. I have been very VERY happy taking my chances with DirecTV the last decade or so. The outages are extremely rare, and last for the shortest of times. The other good stuff offsets the annoyances from the experiences I have had.

Gotta say, when "Hurricane Elvis" blew through Memphis a few years back (straight line winds in excess of 100mph), it was us satellite folks that were uninterrupted. Parts of Memphis went without cable in the aftermath of that for upwards of a month. TimeWarner was extremely unresponsive (par for their course). No, I don't miss cable. At all.

DirecTV since 99 and never had an outage for more then 20 mins, and only in a severe storm.

The cable? not only was it fuzzy on clear days it went out lighting struck 50 miles away
    Go Gators!

I had cable internet through time warner/road runner in El Paso. The internet/cable was down several times a month. On the other hand, only in heavy downpours would Directv go down.

Hours and hours with time warner/road runner to get it fix.

Never on hold with Directv more than a few minutes.

I have cable internet and modem (comcast) and neither has ever been down.

My parents have dish and it goes out whenever it rains hard.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Do not expect cable to pick up the EI package. If that's important to you, then it's a no brainer. Go with DirecTV. Don't worry about outages. It's very infrequent regardless of which you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    funny how the only time i ever lost my cable service, was when the neighbor cut the line by mistake ...otherwise, it never went out...now directv is another story...it's not like it goes out every storm, but when you go from never to about 10 times a year, it's annoying...most of the time it only lasts for about 15 minutes or so, but that's long enough to screw up whatever you were watching...
    Have you looked into having someone check the alignment on your dish? I think it was said in a past thread that reception issues may be caused by a poorly aligned dish. The longest I've had an outage is maybe 5 minutes. The longest I've had a cable outage is 2 days.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?