Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer responds to tough outing

Homer responds to tough outing

Another Homer Article: I bolded what I found interesting

Notes: For Bailey, it's just one outing
    Righty roughed up by Indians, but prospect stays positive
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Homer Bailey has allowed eight earned runs and six hits over 2 2/3 innings this spring. (Al Behrman/AP)
    Reds Headlines

SARASOTA, Fla. -- His latest pitching line was hit with an ugly stick on Friday, but Reds' top prospect Homer Bailey's perspective and sense of humor remained intact.
    Against the Indians, Bailey gave up five earned runs and three hits, including two home runs, in just two-thirds of an inning. The right-hander also issued two walks and hit a batter.

Already in the clubhouse, teammate Josh Hamilton missed the performance. When Hamilton came out of the shower and saw Bailey surrounded by reporters, he curiously asked, "Homer, how'd you do?"

"I put up a nice five spot in the fifth, but thanks for asking!" Bailey responded with a big smile.

"Sun's coming up tomorrow, boys," Bailey told the reporters. "Everyone's going to have their bad ones, right?"

Entering with a 2-1 lead, Bailey clearly struggled with his command while working in relief during the fifth inning. He hit his first batter with a two-strike pitch, and then allowed a four-pitch walk. Mike Rouse followed that up with a three-run homer. Following a strikeout, Bailey walked another batter.

Then, Grady Sizemore launched a two-run homer. After a flyout, David Delluci's single brought Reds manager Jerry Narron out of the dugout to remove the pitcher.

"I was a little disappointed he got behind and kept throwing fastballs," Narron said. "He's got to use the other pitches a little more. If you're going to be wild, be wild with everything you have out there. You have to make some adjustments."
    Last season, the organization set goals for Bailey to use more changeups and offspeed pitches, and not to rely as much on his 95- to 98-mph fastball. After coming out, the righty talked in the dugout with catcher David Ross and pitching coach Dick Pole, who spotted a mechanical flaw in Bailey's delivery.
    "If it was the middle of the season, I'd be a little worried about it," said Bailey, the Reds' 2004 first-round draft pick. "We're not playing for keeps right now. It's not like we're hitting the panic button or anything."

Although the Reds had expectations that Bailey would begin the season at Triple-A Louisville, the 20-year-old came to camp optimistic that he had an outside shot at winning the fifth starter's spot in the Majors.

Through two spring outings, Bailey has allowed eight earned runs and six hits over 2 2/3 innings for a 27.00 ERA.

"There's a Homer hype," Narron said. "Everybody expects him to do well. He's putting pressure on himself. We're doing it a little bit to put some pressure on him to see how he would respond to it."

Bailey's confidence remained high after the bumpy ride.

"Hopefully, I'll have a lot more bad ones to come ... over a long period of time," Bailey said. "Bad ones happen. You just have to bounce back from it."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer responds to tough outing

Having been at the game I'd tell you he gained alot of composure on the walk from the mound to his locker. He looked like a dog getting a bath out there. Dejected and glad to see the end. Just looking forward to shaking it off. I do admire the ease at which he regained his composure that was evident in the above interview. He is going to need that kind of an attitude to survive. He'll do that and more, we just have to be patient.

Turn Off Ads?