Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon continues to swim upstream

Salmon continues to swim upstream

Article from MLB.com on Salmon:

Notes: Salmon could earn bullpen spot
    Hard-throwing right-hander was a 21st round draft pick in 1999
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Brad Salmon went 7-2 with a 2.44 ERA over 55 appearances in the Minors in 2006. (Al Behrman/AP)
    Reds Headlines

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Reliever Brad Salmon has no problem being tagged as a late bloomer.
    "It was a long learning process for me," Salmon said. "Things are starting to fall into place now."

The 27-year-old Salmon, a 21st round draft pick in 1999, has pitched himself into a good position for a bullpen role on the Reds staff. He has yet to allow an earned run through four innings over four games, although he has surrendered two unearned runs and three hits with two walks and two strikeouts.

On Friday, Salmon worked a perfect inning of relief. While setup man Gary Majewski has yet to throw in a game because of a problematic shoulder, a late-inning spot seems up for grabs.

Salmon is a hard-throwing right-hander with a fastball in the low-to-mid 90-mph range. Manager Jerry Narron has said previously that having Salmon could give Cincinnati a different look from the bullpen because the only other right-handed reliever on the staff that throws consistently hard is Todd Coffey.

"It doesn't hurt to throw hard," said Salmon, who was added to the 40-man roster in October. "If you can throw hard and control it, it helps you."

There are several other relievers in camp that pose competition, including lefty Brian Shackelford and non-roster invitees Dustin Hermanson, Brian Meadows and Kerry Ligtenberg.

After he began his career as a starting pitcher and spent four seasons without moving above the low Class A level, Salmon was switched to a reliever in 2003.

By 2006, Salmon went 7-2 with a 2.44 ERA and five saves in 55 appearances combined at Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville. A sign of his ability to overpower hitters were his 96 strikeouts, compared to 43 walks.

"I thought I wouldn't like it at first," Salmon said of relieving. "With my mentality, I go after them with everything I've got. I'm a max effort-type guy. I'm not a finesse dude. I get a good adrenaline rush and just go at them. I think it's been a better fit. They were right in making me a reliever. You have a bad outing and you can go out the next night instead of waiting four days."

Salmon also credits picking up the split-fingered fastball in 2005 for helping him advance through the ranks. On the advice of Chattanooga manager Jayhawk Owens, Salmon began tinkering with the pitch and later honed it in the Puerto Rican winter league two winters ago.

"It just seemed to click," Salmon said. "I got a lot of confidence with it and it seemed to carry over into last year. I faced a lot of big-league hitters over there and I kind of wanted to see how my stuff was against guys like that. It was good competition."

The more I see this guy the more I like him. Throws hard and has a really good outpitch in the splitter he and Coffey could make a good combination.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-10-2007 at 12:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Salmon continues to swim upstream

If they both have good springs, who would we rather keep on the 25 man, Salmon or Jared Burton?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I like Burton he has great stuff but I think he is a little less refined than Salmon at this point. We have a real logjam in the pen right now from the right and left side. Some tough decisions are going to be made by Krivs and it may be based on who has options left. I don't think Wayne exected some of these guys (Santos, Salmon, and Burton) to have great springs. Which is why he went out and signed all the others.

Salmon and Burton should both make the team IMO. Cut your ties with the old guys and bring in the new.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Salmon and Burton should both make the team IMO. Cut your ties with the old guys and bring in the new.

Amen. Find a sucker to take Cormier and Weathers.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

What absolutely boggles my mind is why the Reds didn't give this guy a shot last year instead of giving away Felipe Lopez & Austin Kearns for a bunch of hot air.

Salmon was in the system last year - yet didn't even get a whiff of the majors. Now suddenly he's an option - this after the Reds spend mega bucks on Stanton/Cormier et al.

Good work Wayne.

I think Special K went out and got as many middle relievers as he could so he could use them to trade for other needs...perhaps talent in the ML or perhaps package one or more of them with an extra OF to gain us another MLB ready young arm.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    What absolutely boggles my mind is why the Reds didn't give this guy a shot last year instead of giving away Felipe Lopez & Austin Kearns for a bunch of hot air.

Salmon was in the system last year - yet didn't even get a whiff of the majors. Now suddenly he's an option - this after the Reds spend mega bucks on Stanton/Cormier et al.

Good work Wayne.
    I don't see that Special K spent "Mega Bucks" on Stanton and Cormier...I think he saw what was going to happen in the market and signed these guys at what will look like a reasonable deal to teams in need of pitching that have young talent to give up..The dealing has yet to begin...I think Wayne Krivsky is so far ahead of other GM's on this that I am glad he is here.

If I could I would put Dan O and Special K in one GM to make a super GM....Dan O on his ability to evaluate undrafted talent and Special K on his ability to evaluate overlooked talent or talent that others have given up on.

I'd also throw in PANTS because of his sense of fashion!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Keep Burton. When one of the oldsters goes kaput, bring up Salmon.

I hope that's how it goes.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Good work Wayne.
    Because (1) Wayne didn't want to keep Kearns and Lopez; (2) he thought Majewski was healthy, incorrectly and (3) Salmon didn't have a particularly good minor league career until last year. And, by the way, I hope he does great, but Salmon hasn't proven anything yet.

I would like to see Salmon get some multiple innings stints. If the Reds have Coffey, Bray and Salmon and all can be 6th through 8th inning guys who can work 2 innings at a time, it would really help the team. If Salmon is a one-inning guy, he has a lot less value. With an older pen, there is a premium on guys who can pitch two innings/per. Belisle can, but I see him either as a fifth starter or long man who pitches earlier in games.

Good work Wayne.
    Said that so well.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm in general agreement with the principle of "young, improving" over "old, declining," as long as we have a fallback plan in place in case they get smoked upon first exposure to real big-league hitters, as often happens. That's where it gets dicey -- I'm not sure if we have the depth of good major-league-ready young arms to make pre-emptive junking of the vets a good idea.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm in general agreement with the principle of "young, improving" over "old, declining," as long as we have a fallback plan in place in case they get smoked upon first exposure to real big-league hitters, as often happens. That's where it gets dicey -- I'm not sure if we have the depth of good major-league-ready young arms to make pre-emptive junking of the vets a good idea.
    This is what the Twins just did with Ramon Ortiz and Sidney Ponson. Sign some crappy pitchers till your youngsters are ready so you have back up options a and b.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    This is what the Twins just did with Ramon Ortiz and Sidney Ponson. Sign some crappy pitchers till your youngsters are ready so you have back up options a and b.
    I haven't studied the Twins' depth chart enough to decide if they're doing the right thing. But they're not going to make the playoffs if those two guys hold rotation spots for very long; I sincerely hope Stanton, Weathers and Cormier aren't as bad as I expect Ponson and Ortiz to be. I don't think any of our young relief candidates are going to be as good as I expect the Twins' Matt Garza to be, either.

Having said that, Cormier's one of my early favorites to land on DFA Island. Stanton and Weathers have been about as predictable as relievers come, and while that hasn't been a particularly high level of performance, neither has it been bad as a rule. Those two guys, I'm OK with milking whatever they have left and then making the move when it's time.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?