Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Griffey be ready?

Will Griffey be ready?

Today's article didn't sound good. He took more BP and wasn't at full speed yet.

He's still got 3 weeks, but I wonder if we may see a Hamilton/Deno platoon in right until Grif's healed?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Griffey be ready?

Some times, I wonder if the "fast twitch" fibers that are more dominant in the muscles of your high speed athletes. Griffey is just one example of the kind of rocket quick outfielders, who can run down the long drive, that find themselves prone to musculo-skeletal breakdown. These kind of guys, Larry Walker was another and there are others, can get the bat into the zone quicker and to the bases better than the rest. Unfortunately, they have added bulk for power. A classmate of mine from medical school works with the Minnesota teams. His theory is that if these guys had normal percentages of fast twitch muscle fibers, they'd rarely suffer the injuries we're seeing more frequently. Of course they'd be slow outfielders that couldn't hit. He feels the pressure to bulk up has increased the rate of injuries. The tendons and ligaments don't build at the same rate. Thus, leaving these "fast guys" vulnerable.

College Kid

I don't expect him to be in the Opening Day lineup at this point. It seems like the recovery isn't progressing as he'd like it to. However, I do not think it will keep him out more than a week or so into the season. It also is not an injury that will be affected by weather or playing conditions, like so many of his past injuries...so in theory, once this injury's healed, it's healed.

Should see him back out there soon. *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    A classmate of mine from medical school works with the Minnesota teams. His theory is that if these guys had normal percentages of fast twitch muscle fibers, they'd rarely suffer the injuries we're seeing more frequently. Of course they'd be slow outfielders that couldn't hit. He feels the pressure to bulk up has increased the rate of injuries. The tendons and ligaments don't build at the same rate. Thus, leaving these "fast guys" vulnerable.
    Interesting idea. It does seem like there's often a price to pay for those super-elite athletes. Like Josh Hamilton. He's got the tools, for sure, but every season of pro ball he's played has ended in surgery. He says that's why he ended up on drugs. He was just so bored. All he ever had was baseball, but he was injured so often and couldn't play.

I am going to say he won't be ready for opening day thus if he is I can be pleasently surprised. I would like to see a platoon of Deno and Hamilton in right and Freel in Center if that is the case.

I don't do sports medicine but, my classmate from med-school who does, says it's like putting a Viper V-10 in your VW. You know that sounds like fun. Probably be high maintenance though.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I am going to say he won't be ready for opening day thus if he is I can be pleasently surprised. I would like to see a platoon of Deno and Hamilton in right and Freel in Center if that is the case.
    Does this mean Crosby makes the team? He's been hitting very well so far.

Trade for Ellison with the Giants, the guy is hitting above .750 with a slugging percentage above 1.000. The Giants said yesterday that he's ready but they don't have room for him on their Major League roster.

I think he will be ready actually. Not sure why, but I do...

TC...Any thoughts on this one?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    Trade for Ellison with the Giants, the guy is hitting above .750 with a slugging percentage above 1.000. The Giants said yesterday that he's ready but they don't have room for him on their Major League roster.
    Ellison is 28/29. He's way too old to just be "ready".Plus, we really don't have a use for him either.

If I wanted a 27/29 year olds who were ready, I'd look no further than Deno and/or Crosby.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

True, but have they been as consistently powerful as Ellison? I believe Ellison could step into the outfield in a heartbeat and stay there for 5-6 years. When he makes contact in BP, it sounds like Pujols. The guy is ready for prime-time and they treat him like an in-grown toe nail. This for a guy who has reached base in 16 of his last 17 at bats.

College Kid

Fay's piece in the paper today speculates that Griffey might be holding out to avoid enduring the utter humiliation of possibly playing some right field.

If Griffey really is being that selfish, he should be sent a message. I believe the man still has options?

I think it's more of a conspiracy theory on the part of John Fay, but everyone will certainly agree that this is really frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by ND_redsfan10 View Post
    Fay's piece in the paper today speculates that Griffey might be holding out to avoid enduring the utter humiliation of possibly playing some right field.

If Griffey really is being that selfish, he should be sent a message. I believe the man still has options?

I think it's more of a conspiracy theory on the part of John Fay, but everyone will certainly agree that this is really frustrating...
    Can't option a veteran.

This is a story that is more about Spring Training being too long, with too many media sources all needing something to write about.

Spring Training is for the pitchers to get ready and the hitters don't need that much time. A veteran like Griffey probably only needs a week or so of ABs to be ready for the season. If he's still out on March 25th, then it will be an issue. I do want him to play a few games in RF just to take the lame excuse of never playing there away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I've got a feeling he'll be ready. Of course, I also didn't think a broken toe would sideline him for more than a month. The problem is that he's no longer the fast starter he used to be. Back in the Seattle days, Grif was setting HR records for the month of April. It seems now that he needs more ABs in ST to get into form. On this team, everything has to go right, there's little room to wait for May for Griffey to get warm.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?