Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 'd I miss? Who is our fourth starter?

What 'd I miss? Who is our fourth starter?

This from Rotoworld via John Fay:

Kyle Lohse, coming back from a mildly strained right hamstring, will pitch a simulated game Wednesday.

Lohse is competing for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation. Matt Belisle, who is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA this spring, will get the start on Monday. Belisle has a slight edge on Lohse at this time.

If this is the competition for #5, who is #4?
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What 'd I miss? Who is our fourth starter?

I think Lohse is a lock for the rotation.

Rotoworld is just utilizing actual baseball knowledge in evaluating Lohse situation instead of whatever it is the Reds used to decide to bring him back at $4.2 Million with a guaranteed spot.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I just read this too and expected someone to question it. It's as mth said, rotoworld doesn't follow the Reds 24/7 and figured that Lohse is only good enough for the #5 spot, not knowing he's currently a lock for the rotation.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

So, if Lohse and Saarloos make the rotation, is there any hope that we'll see Belisle in the other spot instead of Milton? Any hope at all? Please? Pretty please? I'm begging....

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    So, if Lohse and Saarloos make the rotation, is there any hope that we'll see Belisle in the other spot instead of Milton? Any hope at all? Please? Pretty please? I'm begging....
    Assuming health, I think the rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse and Saarloos was set before the team even reported. I think the real decisions are who to cut loose? What to do about options? Can we showcase any of these guys to get anything for them? etc.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just read this too and expected someone to question it. It's as mth said, rotoworld doesn't follow the Reds 24/7 and figured that Lohse is only good enough for the #5 spot, not knowing he's currently a lock for the rotation.
    But it's not Rotoworld reporting it, it's John Fay.
    Although really that doesn't make it any more correct or knowledgable.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

If Belisle can find and maintain control, he could be the sleeper this year. The kid's got good stuff and can get hitters out. I like the idea of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Saarloos, and Lohse/Milton. Replace #5 with Homer down the road when he turns it around and that is a rotation that can win us some ballgames.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

I think the day Saarloos was acquired the Reds had their 5th starter - in the minds of management anyway. Belisle MAY get a shot but only if one of the 5 go down - even then it may be Bailey, or Santos instead.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Arroyo/Harang/Milton/Lohse/Saarloos is the rotation. Only one lefty.
    Is that why we have so many in the pen?

If Milton goes down, they'd probably look for another lefty to replace him (Livingstone?)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If Belisle does keep that ERA down in the 2's, he will have a real shot at beating out Lohse for the 4 spot. Saarloos has been getting stretched out lately 3 ip yesterday so I am anxious to see how many innings he pitches next time out. If they continue to extend his innings than I would say he is a lock for the rotation. I can see Lohse headed for a closers role, it would be a similar situation to what the Dodgers did with Gagne. I hate to say it but I may like Livingston better than Milton.

rotoworld correction:

Kyle Lohse, coming back from a mildly strained right hamstring, will pitch a simulated game Wednesday.

Lohse, the Reds' No. 4 starter, should be able to avoid a season-opening stint on the DL as long as he doesn't experience any setbacks.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    rotoworld correction:

Lohse, the Reds' No. 4 starter, should be able to avoid a season-opening stint on the DL as long as he doesn't experience any setbacks.
    Off-topic, sorry. But what exactly goes on when a pitcher goes through a simulated game? I hear the term a lot, but have never thought much of it.

over the course of the season I think 3-5 is a tossup. Spots could change amongst Milton, Lohse, Saarloos, Santos, Belisle, Livingston, Bailey, etc.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Off-topic, sorry. But what exactly goes on when a pitcher goes through a simulated game? I hear the term a lot, but have never thought much of it.
    Warm up, throw 12-15 pitches off a mound, sit 10 minutes, repeat.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'll say this, with Bailey, Santos, Livingston and Dumatrait, the AAA rotation is going to be pretty solid.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?