Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Fay says, Griffey to Right probably will happen.

John Fay says, Griffey to Right probably will happen.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...703110403/1071

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - Walking out toward the batting cage at Ed Smith Stadium Friday, I noticed a familiar figure. Left-handed batter. Little waggle with the bat as he sets up. Beautiful, smooth stroke.

It was the first time this spring I saw Ken Griffey Jr. swing the bat. I haven't been avoiding him, and I don't think he's avoiding me.

But Griffey has been hard to find in the batting cage this spring. The broken hand that was supposed to be healed has kept him from playing in games and limited him to one session of live batting practice.

Griffey says he's done talking about when he'll be ready.

"Let's nip that in the bud," he said. "You'll see me out there when I'm out there."

The Reds say Griffey will be out there when he decides he's ready. "We're waiting for him to tell us," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He knows his body better than anyone. With the leg last year, we gave him the extra time and it turned out to be the prudent thing to do."

The Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits team doctors or trainers from talking about a player's injury.

We know Griffey has taken cortisone shots. When he was talking about it, Griffey said it was just a matter of getting the hand, broken some time in December, stronger.

That was three weeks ago.

It should be noted that it's still early. The Reds have 19 exhibition games left. So there's more than enough time for Griffey to get ready.

But there seems to be more at work here than just the hand healing.

A conspiracy theorist might say Griffey is waiting to play so there's not enough time to experiment with switching him to right field.

Griffey's never embraced the idea of the switch.

He also has never rejected it outright.

And it still could happen. Switching from center field to right isn't like switching from second base to shortstop or from the infield to the outfield.

The responsibilities with center and right are nearly identical, but the ball comes off the bat with a different spin.

No one working for the Reds has said Griffey is delaying his return.

The right-field move probably is going to happen. Griffey has taken balls in right in workouts and during batting practice.

In fact, outfield coach Billy Hatcher stayed behind from the Winter Haven trip to work with the outfielders, including Griffey, on Saturday.

When the Reds originally talked about the plan, the flaw in it was that Ryan Freel, the center fielder-to-be, has a tendency to miss a lot of games with injuries.

Asking Griffey to play right one day and center the next might have been a bit much.

But the way Josh Hamilton has played in camp, the Reds can put him in center and be confident he'll make plays.

Again, Griffey could take the field today - either in right or in center - and be rolling by Opening Day.

He has done everything everyone else has done in camp - except for hitting.

And maybe it is just the hand holding him back.

He's 37 years old. Injuries don't heal as quickly when you're his age. Each of the last two years, he was day-to-day for nearly the entire month of September with foot injuries.

Last September, the Reds' offense fell off severely after Griffey's injury. The Reds hit .227 as a team with 23 home runs in September after hitting .253 with 48 homers in August.

So the key is having a healthy Griffey for as long as possible in the regular season.

If he's still playing in September, the time he missed in March won't matter.

But the whole thing seems just a little odd.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay says, Griffey to Right probably will happen.

Oh, do I hope Fay is right.

And I continue to be astounded by the terrible stats tallied up by our team in late August/all of September. .227 average? Ouch.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Griffey has been my idol since 1988. I adore the guy. My favorite player of all time.

And I pray this comes to be. Jr. simply can not play CF anymore. He has become a liability, at that position. It makes the Reds a better team if he is in RF. I just hope it happens and goes well. :fingerscrossed:

Not exactly cold, hard proof there. At least he is shagging flies in right.

BTW, I am so sick of people implying that Freel's injury history would be a reason to delay the Griffey move from center. Those two matters are unrelated.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

So the writer thinks that Griffey still has time to get ready to hit in another 2 weeks? Let alone start playing RF?

I see him coming back and struggling to get back in the groove while Narron keeps batting him 3rd through the whole thing. This has finally become annoying to me.

I like Junior a lot also and the Narron quote that "it won't take Junior long to get ready" (paraphrased) that I read a couple days ago bugged me. Junior ALWAYS needs a while to get in his groove. Hopefully, Tony - he'll at least be in RF while he's struggling in the 3 hole.

Looks like John has been reading my posts.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=25
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Griffey is 37 years old this is what his 17th or 18th spring training most vets don't work on a heck of a lot in spring training anymore simply because they train all year round. I just can't see missing AB's in spring training keeping Griffey out of the groove all season long. On the plus side he is taking flyballs in right who would have ever thought that.

I'll believe it when I see a real lineup with him in RF.

Here's a question, if he is moved just because of Hamilton, what happens on the days when Hamilton sits? and what happens if Hamilton really tanks and isn't a starter anymore? will the Reds play someone else in CF or will JR moved back?

Hmm.
    Go Gators!

I'm going to start writing my posts like newspaper columnists.

Starting tomorrow, it's a new way of posting.

Is it necessary? Probably not.

Is it easier to read? Not really.

Is it the standard?

Apparently.

Let's all see how this goes.

I, for one, can't wait.

Can't wait.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-11-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Ouch VP
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'll believe it when I see a real lineup with him in RF.

Here's a question, if he is moved just because of Hamilton, what happens on the days when Hamilton sits? and what happens if Hamilton really tanks and isn't a starter anymore? will the Reds play someone else in CF or will JR moved back?

Hmm.
    Related to this, it's just more evidence that Denorfia is/was never in this team's plans to be a key player for the organization.

He's one of the only guys to show up down the stretch last season and was rated the best defensive player in the Intl League in 2006. But look at this quote:

But the way Josh Hamilton has played in camp, the Reds can put him in center and be confident he'll make plays.
    So, in Fay's mind, the Reds didn't feel like Deno would be able to fill the role of a 4th outfielder but watching a guy who has less than 100 ABs above single A ball for two weeks in spring training gives the FO the confort that he will be able to "make plays"?

I'm pulling for this guy, but I don't want to see them get burned because the guy has a good spring.

Then again...with the 3-5 pitchers in the rotation this season, there won't be much to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Is it the standard?

Apparently.

I, for one, can't wait.

Can't wait.
    That is.

Absolutely.

A.

Fantastic post.

Truly.

If I did not have to.

"Spread some more rep" around.

You would be getting some.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Is it the standard?

Apparently.

I, for one, can't wait.

Can't wait.
    Have you been abducted by Donald Rumsfeld?
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Have you been abducted by Donald Rumsfeld?
    "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?