Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Hamilton already made the team...

Has Hamilton already made the team...

on his own merit? IMHO he has. This guy is showing no signs of a long layoff and has been one of our better players all spring.The guy still has it and looks to make us a better team this year if he is on the 25 man roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Has Hamilton already made the team...

Unless he completely falls apart, he's a lock.

How can he not be?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Unless he completely falls apart, he's a lock.

How can he not be?

that's my take too. he'd have to go all Stanley Wilson to get cut at this point.
    School's out. What did you expect?

part of BBN

If jr isnt ready....I can see Dunn LF Freel CF Hammer RF vs Cubs opening day.

Absolutely. Unlike Wily Mo a few years ago when he had to stay on the 25-man roster and was basically just a waste, Hamilton can and will be an asset to the team. His power off the bench and defense will be a big plus. And the way things are going, Hamilton may push for a starting job.

I know he will be on the 25 man I think he was going to be on the team from the start. What I was asking is if you guys think he has won his spot by his play and not just because he is a rule 5 pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    I know he will be on the 25 man I think he was going to be on the team from the start. What I was asking is if you guys think he has won his spot by his play and not just because he is a rule 5 pick up.
    Of course. If he had came out this spring and totally bombed then he wouldn't have made the team. His play has been outstanding so there is no doubt in my mind he has won and deserves a spot on the 25-man. I'd love it if he got the chance to start on Opening Day.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Absolutely. Unlike Wily Mo a few years ago when he had to stay on the 25-man roster and was basically just a waste, Hamilton can and will be an asset to the team. His power off the bench and defense will be a big plus. And the way things are going, Hamilton may push for a starting job.
    Lets not forget, in 2003 when Wily had to be on the 25 man, he went .297/.366/.547 in 64 ST at bats. He probably 'earned' his spot with those numbers had he been a few years older and not had been forced onto the roster regardless.

Oh, but let me add that yes, I think Hamilton deserves to make this team based on his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Oh, but let me add that yes, I think Hamilton deserves to make this team based on his performance.
    I think Hamilton is deserving...but the real test will be if he isn't playing well when it counts. Does he still take up a roster spot?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think Hamilton is deserving...but the real test will be if he isn't playing well when it counts. Does he still take up a roster spot?
    On a team that will carry Juan Castro for his defense, without a doubt. Once every 10 years will you have a guy slump in the field, so odds are he can still be valuable as a defender and pinch runner off the bench and he honestly couldnt hit much worse than Castro is expected to.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    On a team that will carry Juan Castro for his defense, without a doubt. Once every 10 years will you have a guy slump in the field, so odds are he can still be valuable as a defender and pinch runner off the bench and he honestly couldnt hit much worse than Castro is expected to.
    If they gave Conine and Castro their walking papers, then I would be much happier. But when you know that Castro is already on your bench and Hamilton is hitting .202 well into May, for example, what is their move then?

What if they are in the race?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think Hamilton's made it, and I think he has earned it. I was very skeptical coming into ST, but am quickly becoming a true believer. I'm also one who believed Denorfia has not gotten a true shot at a job that I felt like he deserved and that he could do well.

I looked at the ST stats (yes, I know, spring training stats mean nothing- except if you're trying to win a job, make a team, show that you're no longer hurt or that you can indeed either hit major league pitching, or get out major league hitters. In other words, the outcome of ST games mean nothing, but your performance in ST often means a great deal unless you are a proven vet.) prior to posting here, and noticed that the men whom have received the most plate appearances are 4 outfielders in the mix to make the team, and their names are not Freel, Griffey or Dunn.

Hamilton has received extensive PT and at-bats, but Deno has inexplicably played even more. Deno should be playing with an added sense of urgency, because by all accounts, both Josh Hamilton and Bubba Crosby have outplayed him. Even the Gil person has played well, in spots, and he has received the 4th most AB's.

I think Denorfia's trying out, and there is a distinct possibility that he will not make this team. Denorfia has nothing left to prove in AAA. If I'm WK, I'd trade Freel, who probably has the most value, as I am not of the opinion that Ryan can be a full time player. But that's a different topic.

I read the Johnny Narron story with interest this morning in the Enquirer, and saw that he had turned down a job in another organization in order to be with the Reds as "video coordinator" and Hamilton's personal "coach" this year. That's when I realized that the FO knew what they had in Hamilton, are not totally surprised by what he has shown this spring, and probably have expected him to stick with the team all along, at least for the start of the year.

Cubs Suck!

I don't know that I necessarily want Freel to get traded, however, if this spring is any indication of Hamilton's skills (I don't want to read too much into spring training), then I hope Freel returns to the super utility role and Hamilton starts in CF. If Hamilton could put up decent numbers as a starter I think it strengthens the team as Freel is great playing around the field and as a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I may be wrong but my understanding is Hamilton as a rule 5 player has to stay on the active 25 man roster the entire year or he will be sent back to Tampa Bay. The Reds do have the option of working out a trade with TB so they will have exclusive rights to him and then can send him down if need be. Am I right about this??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?