Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign 19 yr old Tzu-Kai Chui out of Taiwan?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds sign 19 yr old Tzu-Kai Chui out of Taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPlaya View Post
    What name follows "Rusty Kuntz" as the best baseball name of all time? Petr Chech!
    Dick Pole.
    Dick Drago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great News thanks dirt and OBM for updates and info on this thread. I know many grumble about the $$$$ being spent on the MLB roster but for long term success I truly believe the Minors have to be the pipeline for our team. Prospects can be traded and groomed for our future so I am very pleased by the developments of the past 3 years.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I suppose he starts the year out in Dayton? They wouldn't make him wait until the rookie leagues start, would they?

It all depends on how he does in Spring Training I guess.... or even for that fact that he can get a VISA to come play in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It all depends on how he does in Spring Training I guess.... or even for that fact that he can get a VISA to come play in the country.
    Whatever happened to that law change Congress was considering that would place baseball players under the exemptions of seasonal tourist workers and such? I thought they were resolving this last year?

Maybe thats true. I know what you are talking about, but I havent seen anything that has said one way or the other if this law has gone into affect yet.

Found few notes from the Indians' Scout who liked this guy. This was posted about 16 months ago.

"Scouting director John Mirabelli just returned from a two-week trip to Japan and Taiwan. The Indians have spent the last three years increasing their presence in the Far East".

"There could be a number of high-profile guys coming out of Asian Baseball this year," Mirabelli said. players usually become available through free agency or a posting system in November. Mirabelli said "three to 10 legitimate guys" could be available this winter.
    . . .

"Mirabelli, on his visit to Taiwan, offered a contract to an 18-year-old pitcher. Negotiations are ongoing." This was with Tzu Kai, according to a different source

"I'm not going to tell you his name because other teams are involved," Mirabelli said.
    So who is this mystery 18-year-old-pitcher? Tzu Kai was the Guy, he was hurt at the time and Mirabelli of the Indians didn't bite. Back and shoulder were concerns. Apparently the Reds feel he made a nice recovery. Found reports of him hitting 90, and after an attempt at internet translation, from a Korean article, I think they said "Prowess of Lion".

Back and shoulder were concerns? Now I definitely see what they saw in him.

You're a funny guy, look for him in Dayton. The Dayton group of Pitchers looks like Nickols, Alford, Rice, Schaler, Williams, Ravin........ and Tzu Kai. That is part of the current group working together. Yount has, at the age of thirty, bought a ticket for AA.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Whatever happened to that law change Congress was considering that would place baseball players under the exemptions of seasonal tourist workers and such? I thought they were resolving this last year?
    Since they don't pay these kids until the season starts, it's my understanding he can be here until April 5th, when the season starts. If they paid the guys, he'd need a Work Visa exemption. That is something that the State Department is supposed to be working hard to make the proper exemptions.

ColoradoHigh

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    Since they don't pay these kids until the season starts, it's my understanding he can be here until April 5th, when the season starts. If they paid the guys, he'd need a Work Visa exemption. That is something that the State Department is supposed to be working hard to make the proper exemptions.
    That sounds right. My Dad is down there watching and says he has not seen him yet. I'd think sooner is better, the minor's games are getting started between intra-squads tomorrow. I'll pass along any relayed news.

ColoradoHigh

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Back and shoulder were concerns? Now I definitely see what they saw in him.
    Then again, maybe edabbs44 knows.

Via Global Baseball, the Reds have signed 19-year old Taiwanese LHP Tzu-Kai Chiu to a deal that includes a $200,000 signing bonus. jhelfgott, who runs Global Baseball, suggests that this may be a “statement signing” to indicate that they intend to be involved in future Chinese Taipei (as they are known in international tournaments) player signings

http://www.redlegnation.com/

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe thats true. I know what you are talking about, but I havent seen anything that has said one way or the other if this law has gone into affect yet.
    It's a part of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, which passed the Senate last year, but has since been in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I suppose he starts the year out in Dayton? They wouldn't make him wait until the rookie leagues start, would they?
    I sure hope they make him wait. 19 year olds with shoulder and back problems don't need to be starting off in low A ball.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?