Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign 19 yr old Tzu-Kai Chui out of Taiwan?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds sign 19 yr old Tzu-Kai Chui out of Taiwan?

Someone on my site asked me if I had heard of this, and I haven't, but he posted a link to a blog entry about Taiwan baseball and here is what it says
    http://taiwanbaseball.blogspot.com/2...with-reds.html
    The Cincinnati Reds were able to break into the Taiwanese market by signing 19 year LHP Tzu-Kai Chiu. Chiu received an estimated $200,000 signing bonus + additional money for his education. Chiu stands around 6'0" tall and weighs close to 200 pounds. Chiu has been on the MLB radar for quite some time now - refer to this Jan. '06 post to read more about Chiu. Chiu is currently in his first year of college but will be heading to the US shortly for a physical. Chiu throws comfortably in the 85 to 87 mph range with touches of 89 mph on his fastball - Chiu's best pitch is his curveball. Congrats to Chiu!
    Just wondering if anyone had seen anything on this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign 19 yr old Tzu-Kai Chui out of Taiwan?

I typed his name into google and the first thing that popped up was his signing with the Reds. About time we started tapping into these countries for talent. This is exciting to me. Krivsky and Castellini understand what it takes to build a strong farm system and now they are doing something about it. Hopefully this is the first of many Internation signings. I remember the Reds were also strong players in the Dominican signings a while back...IIRC, we were close to signing Tony Pena's son.

More info on Tzu-Kai Chui:

1)Tzu-Kai Chiu - LHP: DOB: 9/14/87 Stands 6'0 tall, weighs close to 200 pounds. Throws around 89 to 90 mph max. This kid has been on the youth national team scene for a while now. In 2003, he led Taiwan to the gold by beating both South Korea and Japan in the Asian Youth Championships. At the time, the Colorado Rockies were pursuing Chiu pretty heavily after establishing the Tsao and Lo pitching pipeline. Chiu was also on the 2003 World Youth Baseball Championship silver medal winning team. Chiu started the title game against the US, but took the loss in that game. Chiu then represented Chinese Taipei at the abbreviated 2004 World Junior Baseball Championships where he went 1-1 (W/L), had a 0.00 ERA and K'd 4 in 2.1 IP.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-11-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Also, I remember reading over the summer where the Reds signed some 18 year old catcher from the Czech Republic. I believe I even posted it on here. I'll try to dig it up real quick.

Love the fact that they are looking outside of the uS...but this just seems plain weird. He's been on the MLB radar for quite some time, yet only touches 89 mph while being comfortable in the 85-87 mph range?

Does this organization have something against pitchers who throw over 90 mph?

Only half kidding above...I'm happy that they are finally trying to get out in other mkts. That has been one of the biggest problems with this team over the past 5-10 years. Nice...hopefully more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Love the fact that they are looking outside of the uS...but this just seems plain weird. He's been on the MLB radar for quite some time, yet only touches 89 mph while being comfortable in the 85-87 mph range?

Only half kidding above...I'm happy that they are finally trying to get out in other mkts. That has been one of the biggest problems with this team over the past 5-10 years. Nice...hopefully more to come.
    Well on the bright side, he is a lefty. Lefties in general dont have to throw as hard as righties to succeed in the majors. Another thing, he is still young and can add a little velocity probably.

The last report I posted on him says he sits around 89-90, which isn't bad for a 19 year-old lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The last report I posted on him says he sits around 89-90, which isn't bad for a 19 year-old lefty.
    Yeah, but that report was from over a year ago.

I'm not too worried about the velocity at this point. What did strike me as odd was the "on the radar for some time" comment when he is in the high 80s. What would put someone on MLB's radar if you aren't even hitting 90? Projectibility?

Here it is:

Petr Chech, an 18-year-old catcher from the Czech Republic, has already signed with Cincinnati. He'll attend the academy and later join the Reds' fall instructional program.

Here's the thread link:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...Czech+Republic

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well on the bright side, he is a lefty. Lefties in general dont have to throw as hard as righties to succeed in the majors. Another thing, he is still young and can add a little velocity probably.
    Don't get me wrong...I am very happy about this move. Shows that they are moving in the right direction. Though I'd like to see the LatAm mkt get a little more attention. Did they ever get a replacement for Almaraz?

Don't get me wrong...I am very happy about this move. Shows that they are moving in the right direction. Though I'd like to see the LatAm mkt get a little more attention. Did they ever get a replacement for Almaraz?
    Tony Arias is now the Director of Latin America Scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Tony Arias is now the Director of Latin America Scouting.
    I just googled him...check out this interview with Dick Scott (Dir of Player Development for Toronto) from 2005. Hysterical.

InsideTheDome: Not many fans are familiar with the Dominican Summer League and its Toronto affiliate. What can you tell us about Wilfreddy Aguirre, Francisco Mateo and 2004 Webster Award Winner Jesus Gonzalez?

Dick Scott: Our Dominican team has had some success the past few years as they made the playoffs. They play the game the right way, and a lot of that credit goes to Tony Arias who is our Latin American Coordinator. It really is hard to gauge them, because many of them are "toolsy" guys. Not too many guys come out and make an impact hitting wise. As far as pitching is concerned, they really are young guys. The hitters are still not disciplined and the pitchers can get away with throwing pitches out of the zone as the hitters chase breaking balls, but I will say this - the difficulty they have is when we bring them to the states it is a whole new world for them, and you need to realize they are changing their entire way of living now, and must adapt to our customs along with our way of life. It really is a huge adjustment, and I am very sympathetic to that, and try to give guys ample time to try and make the adjustments. We have an EAP program that we use to teach the guys English during spring training and during extended spring training, and for our other clubs we find an English teacher in every city that we have a minor league team at. It is mandatory for the players to go to class and try to learn the language. As I told them many times, and they are real aware of this, the sooner they capture the language, the better their game will be.
    Sounds like he'll fit right in.

Glad to see the reds break into Asia.

When this kid plays AA ball will he be the Chattanooga Tzu Chui?

Sorry, I had to do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Glad to see the reds break into Asia.

When this kid plays AA ball will he be the Chattanooga Tzu Chui?

Sorry, I had to do it.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Here it is:

Petr Chech, an 18-year-old catcher from the Czech Republic, has already signed with Cincinnati. He'll attend the academy and later join the Reds' fall instructional program.
    Goal, Goal, Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What name follows "Rusty Kuntz" as the best baseball name of all time? Petr Chech!

Turn Off Ads?