Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America interview with Drew Stubbs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball America interview with Drew Stubbs

Baseball America has a short interview with Drew Stubbs up on their site right now. Just thought some of you would enjoy reading it.

www.BaseballAmerica.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America interview with Drew Stubbs

Talks a good game. Itwould be nice if he could turn himself into a torii hunter type.

Ya can't teach speed...

Woe to be a #1 draft pick. Transfer his performance thus far to a 10th rounder and you'd never see his name in print... especially at BA

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Woe to be a #1 draft pick. Transfer his performance thus far to a 10th rounder and you'd never see his name in print... especially at BA
    Yeah, except there is a reason he was a first round guy and not a 10th round guy. Before we all jump off the Drew Stubbs bridge, what do you say we give him more than 240 plate appearances?

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, except there is a reason he was a first round guy and not a 10th round guy. Before we all jump off the Drew Stubbs bridge, what do you say we give him more than 240 plate appearances?
    My point was not to throw Stubbs under the bus but simply comment on how the press, especially BA focuses on the high draft picks regardless of their performance. Say what you will but there are a whole passel of Reds minor league players that had much better years than did Stubbs and none of them are getting that kind of press. With that said, Stubbs will get his ABs this year and next regardless of what he does and I hope he does well for his sake and that of the Reds. So we'll wait and see if he lives up to a #1 pick and he $$$$$ investment that the Reds have made in him.

And, your point about waiting to pass judgment until he gets more than 240 plate appearances is well taken and exactly correct. But that knife cuts both ways. 240 plate appearances doesn't make the next coming of Mickey Mantle either but some folks seem to think thats possible with him too.
    Last edited by Triples; 03-24-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: mispelling

My point was not to throw Stubbs under the bus but simply comment on how the press, especially BA focuses on the high draft picks regardless of their performance.
    I think their readers would be a little upset if they had a chance to interview the eighth overall pick in the draft, but passed for some guy named Justin Turner just because he had a nice showing in rookie ball.

Stubbs starts: Minor League field coordinator Tim Naehring delivered the news to Drew Stubbs Saturday morning that the Reds' 2006 first-round draft pick would be with the big league team in Sunday's game vs. Toronto.

What Stubbs didn't know until Sunday was that he was in the starting lineup. The 22-year-old batted ninth and played center field.

"I'm extremely excited," said Stubbs, who was seated quietly at one end of the visitor's clubhouse. "I was just looking forward to coming over here to get a few innings. When I saw the lineup and I'm in there, it's a neat thing. It's my first chance to be in an atmosphere like this. I'm relishing the opportunity to go out and have a lot of fun."

Stubbs went 2-for-4 with a pair of infield singles. After his first hit in the third inning, he was quickly picked off of first base.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I really really want Stubbs to prove my intuitions wrong. His ascension this season, with Juan Francisco taking a Cueto like step in Dayton in 2007, would be huge for the Reds system.

Turn Off Ads?