Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf Clubbing

Re: Golf Clubbing

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The biggest thing that will determine the correct length of your golf club will be a simple wrist to floor measurement. We have fun little charts that give suggestions on the correct length given the wrist to floor measurement in relation to a height range. Most OEM sets are "fit" for a 6' male with a wrist to floor measurement between 35-36". With you being 6'10", your wrist to floor could easily be 38+", which means you'd roughly need the 2+" extension. That was a rough example I offered, but unless your fitter has a fitting club with at least a +2" extension, hitting balls as a way to fit for length might be an exercise in futility. The fitting process has two parts, dynamic and static. Static is the wrist to floor measurement, and dynamic is hitting balls, IIRC. Sometimes I get the terms flip flopped. It happens! While it would be a great advantage to hit a club that is the initial "correct" length, sometimes that luxury is not always available.
    I definitely agree that measuring from the wrist to the floor (static) can work really well and will probably give an accurate fitting much of the time. For the average player, yes, it can probably be sufficient. However, I do believe posture at address is very important as well. And how a person swings the club (dynamic) definitely plays another important role in fitting the length and lie of clubs. IMO, though, it is absolutely necessary to hit the clubs at different lengths to see how they actually perform in action.

If you had to choose just one, measuring from the wrists would be the one choose, but if you can do the others as well, you'll get the most accurate fit.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoHigh View Post
    You are tall enough to play a real sport. Why golf. If I were 6'10", one I'd be a really tall girl, two I'd play a sport that used my physical abilities. Again, Why golf. Name one golfer that is successful (PGA Wins) that is your height. I dated an NBA player who said "golf was a recreation for guys that don't look good in a ballet outfit". Charles Barkley is admittedly "pathetic" and Jordan has reportedly lost millions in his golf betting exploits. Is there a Gym nearby?
    CE is a lawyer so golf comes as part of the requirements. Although I note that CE said he works in the public sector so he probably won't get to play as much.

As for clubs - go with what your comfortable with CE. I gather that you have played a bit so you can steer away from the beginner set. The thing is that it is very rare that you will be able to find a full set from a manufacturer that you are completely comfortable with. Manufacturer of my long irons are different to mids and shorts. Putter is different again. And then driver is a graphite shaft compared to the irons which are all steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Here's a question for you regular golfers with kids. There's a local sports program for kids called JumpStart Sports that runs programs for little ones (starting at 3 for soccer and t-ball). They've added a golf program for 4 year olds. I like the programs they run because it gets the kids out playing and getting exercise, but I'm wondering if 4 is a little too young for golf. Any thoughts?
    I think it depends on the kid. My six year old son likes to go to the driving range, but we've gone to the par three and he is not real into it. On the other hand, I have seen a few kids the same age who can hit the green.
    Secondly, I would imagine a good program for four year olds would be more like play than golf.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I definitely agree that measuring from the wrist to the floor (static) can work really well and will probably give an accurate fitting much of the time. For the average player, yes, it can probably be sufficient. However, I do believe posture at address is very important as well. And how a person swings the club (dynamic) definitely plays another important role in fitting the length and lie of clubs. IMO, though, it is absolutely necessary to hit the clubs at different lengths to see how they actually perform in action.

If you had to choose just one, measuring from the wrists would be the one choose, but if you can do the others as well, you'll get the most accurate fit.
    If both options are available, then they should absolutely be utilized, so in that respect I agree.

Unfortunately, this sport discriminates against two types of golfers...

1. Very tall golfers
    2. Left Handed Women

It's very hard to find the proper equipment for either group.

Just go the Tin Cup route and use a baseball bat, shovel and a rake to play. You'll probably enjoy the round that much more!

If both options are available, then they should absolutely be utilized, so in that respect I agree.

Unfortunately, this sport discriminates against two types of golfers...

1. Very tall golfers
    2. Left Handed Women

It's very hard to find the proper equipment for either group.

Just go the Tin Cup route and use a baseball bat, shovel and a rake to play. You'll probably enjoy the round that much more!
    Every sport discriminates, but at least people can play golf until they are old. Very old.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    CE is a lawyer so golf comes as part of the requirements. Although I note that CE said he works in the public sector so he probably won't get to play as much.
    Government legal work has many perks (not having to account for billable minutes as I write this post, for example), but unfortunately the golf outing on somebody else's dime isn't really one of them.

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice in this thread. I'm going this weekend to get fitted and do some shopping. I've seen some iron sets on sale recently for $299 (one Nike, one Taylor Made, one Cleveland) and I'll probably hit up Golf Galaxy and check out the used rack as well.

Any additional advice is still greatly appreciated, or any overall experience with brands is helpful too!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Government legal work has many perks (not having to account for billable minutes as I write this post, for example), but unfortunately the golf outing on somebody else's dime isn't really one of them.

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice in this thread. I'm going this weekend to get fitted and do some shopping. I've seen some iron sets on sale recently for $299 (one Nike, one Taylor Made, one Cleveland) and I'll probably hit up Golf Galaxy and check out the used rack as well.

Any additional advice is still greatly appreciated, or any overall experience with brands is helpful too!
    Have fun. Trying out different clubs is part of the fun.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That's a good idea and a good price. When you go to Golf Galaxy ask if you can demo the clubs. That will give you a good idea whether you like the club head or not. And then, if you do, ask what kind of alterations they will include free of charge if you decide to buy the set that you like. Hopefully, they'll include a free loft and lie check and maybe give you a really good discount on new grips and extra length for you. Try to get ask much free stuff as you can. There ultimate goal is to get the clubs out of there so they might give you a great deal. Go for it!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That's a good idea and a good price. When you go to Golf Galaxy ask if you can demo the clubs. That will give you a good idea whether you like the club head or not. And then, if you do, ask what kind of alterations they will include free of charge if you decide to buy the set that you like. Hopefully, they'll include a free loft and lie check and maybe give you a really good discount on new grips and extra length for you. Try to get ask much free stuff as you can. There ultimate goal is to get the clubs out of there so they might give you a great deal. Go for it!
    Having worked at the Golf Galaxy location in Springdale for a year +, they don't throw in any "perks", especially with used clubs. They might give you a free lie check, just to let you know where the set is when you buy it, but they won't change the loft or lie without handing them some cabbage.

I used to work in the club repair section, and often I would mod used clubs if they could be bent, and that was one of the big no no's I ran into while at Golf Galaxy. You think you'd do a lil customer service, and offer someone a service for free, and you'd retain customer loyalty, but obviously the corporate offices didn't think so. Charge charge charge!

Regardless, Golf Galaxy has a great selection, but like Redhook said, see what kinda perks they can throw in, since you're gonna be laying down a couple hundo on some equipment.

What's in my bag?

Driver - Nike Sasquatch Tour - 8.5 Degree with Aldila NV X Flex
    3 Wood - Cleveland Launch - 15 Degree currently without a shaft
    5 wood - Titleist 980 F - 19 Degree with Aldila NVS S Flex

Taylor Made Rescue 3 (Can't remember the Degree off the top of my head) with Flighted Rifle 6.0 Steel Shaft

Irons - Taylor Made TP Forged Combo 4-PW with Dynamic Gold S400 steel shafts/ Back up set = Titleist 962 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X100 steel shafts

Wedges - 52 and 56(bent to 55) Degree Cleveland CG 10 Black Pearl wedges in both low bounce and high bounce; 58 Degree Callaway (Whichever one Mickelson has in his bag with the goofy sole and bounce, and the ridiculously deep grooves)

Putter - Callaway Tour Blue TT1
    Am I counting correctly or is that 16 clubs?
    I thought you were only allowed to carry 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm toolsy.

CE, if you will PM me your e-mail address, I will forward an announcement from Golf Galaxy saying when the Cleveland fitting van will be in your area and providing discounts on Cleveland club purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Am I counting correctly or is that 16 clubs?
    I thought you were only allowed to carry 13.

Most low handicappers, much less pros like Highlifeman and Redhook, have a few options, like hybrids vs. long irons, or extra wedges with different styles or bounce depending on the course conditions.

You pick 14 to carry when you play. When I'm on the road, I carry about 17 clubs, but declare inelligible 3 when we start playing..
    Last edited by RFS62; 03-15-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Most low handicappers, much less pros like Highlifeman and Redhook, have a few options, like hybrids vs. long irons, or extra wedges with different styles or bounce depending on the course conditions.

You pick 14 to carry when you play. When I'm on the road, I carry about 17 clubs, but declare inelligible 3 when we start playing..
    First, what does inelligible mean? I know what ineligible means, but this seems to be a new word? Is it North Carolina slang?

Second, how exactly do you declare these clubs inelligible? Do you announce to the Starter, "Hey Starter, these three clubs are inelligible" or to the people you are playing with or is it to the voices in your head?

"OK Dave, these three clubs are inelligible"
    "OK RFS62, that sounds nice. Did you bring the cheese?"
    "These pretzels sure are making me thristy"
    "These golf shoes hurt my feet"
    "Which clubs are inellllllligible again?"
    "That anal probe really opened things up for me"
    "Did the alien use the 6 iron"
    "Where's the cheese?"
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    First, what does inelligible mean? I know what ineligible means, but this seems to be a new word? Is it North Carolina slang?

Second, how exactly do you declare these clubs inelligible? Do you announce to the Starter, "Hey Starter, these three clubs are inelligible" or to the people you are playing with or is it to the voices in your head?
    Man, tough audience.
    Give the guy a break; it's a stretch to transition from parchment to a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Man, tough audience.
    Give the guy a break; it's a stretch to transition from parchment to a keyboard.
    Yeah, and haven't you ever read "The Canterbury Tales?" They didn't exactly have a standardized spelling for most words in that era.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?