Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Trade Freel Thread

The Official Trade Freel Thread

I like Ryan Freel, I really do. And I am not as sold on Chris Denorfia as most on this board. However, with the emergence of Josh Hamilton this spring, coupled with Freel's production and contract status, as well as the roster crunch that is victimizing Denorfia, there really is only one good solution:

Ryan Freel should be traded in the first decent deal that comes the Reds way.

With Griffey (hopefully) moving to RF, and Dunn firmly entrenched in LF, Josh Hamilton and Chris Denorfia should be platooning in CF, giving both a gradual introduction into what it is like to be an everyday player in the major leagues. If (and unfortunately when) Griffey gets injured, Hamilton can play RF with Denorfia in CF. Jeff Conine is a capable (obligatory) veteran backup to either one. Fortunately for the Reds, Ryan Freel probably has the most trade value of any outfielder on the roster not named Dunn, and thus could net the most in a trade. Given the fact that he is a FA after the season and now over the 30 mark, this trade becomes even easier. There are plenty of rumors around here (Chicago) that the Sox want Aaron Rowand back. Would they be willing to part with John Danks in order to get a similar player in Freel? As a Reds fan, I sure would.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Trade Freel Thread

hamilton has not proven a thing, yet

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    However, with the emergence of Josh Hamilton this spring........
    He's had 26 at bats in ST...

WOW is all I have to say.....
    "This isnt stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This thread is now officially called "The official stupid idea thread"

Let's release Arroyo and Harang, then trade EE, Phillips and Dunn for a prospect!

EDIT:
    I want to apologize to Benihana - I'm sorry, I really didn't mean for it to be personal/offensive. I visit many message boards, and each one has a different 'tone' about it - other places that would have been fine/humerous, but I know RedsZone is more classy, and looking back it was dumb.

So, again, sorry...after the 50 points of negs I definitely realized it was probably wasn't 'acceptable' here, and I apologize.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 03-14-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I wouldn't characterize this thread as stupid. I can't say that Hamilton is the real deal yet (it's looking good), I've felt all along that Freel was expendable and very likely the best one we have to trade - I think there are a number of teams who could use his diverse talents.

Monger

I think that the situation with Denorfia and Hamilton doesnt really matter as much as you suggest - it makes your suggestion a little more palatable, but it isnt the driving force behind the idea.

I think that the issue is that the reds have a very productive guy who is just on the wrong side of 30 and who is in the last year of his contract. If the reds think they can re-sign him at a reasonable level then fine. But I suspect that the free agent value of Freel this coming off season will be higher than what the Reds should really be paying for him. Therefore, trading him now is probably a good idea.

The other part is that I dont think the reds should be lining things up for 2008 and 2009 - not to give up on this season before it starts, but 08 and 09 are when some very fine young players should be breaking out at the same time that Arroyo and Harang will still be in their prime.

However, if one decides that trading freel is the best decision, is spring training the best time to do it? what about mid season when contending teams have identified needs to be filled. Since freel can play just about anywhere, he could be an offensive upgrade for a large number of teams
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    This thread is now officially called "The official stupid idea thread"

Let's release Arroyo and Harang, then trade EE, Phillips and Dunn for a prospect!
    First of all, explain how any of this relates to anything. And before you call it a "stupid idea", I think there are PLENTY of people on this board that would agree with me. I would be real careful with the name calling my friend.

I stand by what I said. I think a platoon of Denorfia and Hamilton would be just as effective as Freel, especially if we could acquire a young pitcher with real upside in the process.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    First of all, explain how any of this relates to anything. And before you call it a "stupid idea", I think there are PLENTY of people on this board that would agree with me. I would be real careful with the name calling my friend.

I stand by what I said. I think a platoon of Denorfia and Hamilton would be just as effective as Freel, especially if we could acquire a young pitcher with real upside in the process.

I didn't call you a name.

Secondly, Freel brings more than just his stats to play. He's a fan favorite, and it'd be stupid to trade him. I said this before the Casey trade, and I'm sticking to it again with Ryan Freel. Trading Freel would be a huge mistake.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Freel got pulled from today's game after his 1st ab. Maybe something is in the works?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The argument for trading Freel is that, given his style of play, he will break down at an early age. Not a good gamble to re-sign, get what you can now.

The argument against trading Freel is that the Reds are borderline .500 team and you don't trade one of your most valuable players. You don't worry too much about his position, he is a very good player, and a sparkplug. Given his versatility, he will get plenty of ABs.

I would trade any guy for the right return. But if you lose Freel, you weaken the team absent a very solid major league return.

As for Danks, I don't know anything about him. But you need major league players to field a good team, not only prospects for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Freel got pulled from today's game after his 1st ab. Maybe something is in the works?
    I hope. I like Freel, but not as a starter. He also would bring the most in value out of our outfield log jam that would be readily replacable. Honestly you would get more for Dunn, but you cant replace that in the line up. You can replace Freel.

If the plan is to keep Freel as a super sub then trading him is the right move, it would be risky because he's the only real "leadoff" hitter on the team.

Sadly I think the Reds will do nothing and let Deno sit in AAA instead.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Day to day with a tight right hammy.....
    "This isnt stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So what is Freel's value in trade?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So what is Freel's value in trade?
    Probably more than any potential drop in performance between he and Denorfia.

When you look at it, Freel's value has been somewhat diminished by the 2 year contract of Castro. Castro can play that super sub infield role that Freel has filled over the past few years. I'm not saying that he is an optimal player in that role, but he's here for 2 years, like it or not.

So Freel is now more of an OFer than ever before. The difference between him and Denorfia is not large, if any. So he makes an excellent trade chip. He and Deno are the Kearns/Pena issue of a few years ago. Pena turned into Arroyo. You never know what Freel could turn into. But I think it would be more along the lines of a younger guy...not someone as established as BA.

Turn Off Ads?