OF - Freel
    OF - Griffey

Bench (5)
    INF Castro
    OF Hamilton
    1B/COF Conine
    C/1B Valentin
    ??

That gives us 22 spots that are filled, or as Jerry Narron likes to say, "in cement" (although Saarloos' geography isn't 100 percent, but his spot on the team is)

This list is assuming Majewski starts the season on the DL. If he doesn't, that means there are just two spots -- a pitcher and a position player -- left.

There's a lot of wiggle room with that bench spot. It could be a position player, an outfielder or a catcher. The catcher would make sense because Valentin is the team's top pinch-hitter. So maybe he serves that role as much as catcher. Because he's such a valuable pinch-hitter, they may need that third catcher because an 'emergency' catcher wouldn't be needed only in emergencies. Something to think about.

The bullpen? If Wilson keeps pitching well, he could start the season in the rotation and then you could move Saarloos to the bullpen. Belisle is a valuable guy.
    Not alot to argue with there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: C.Trent Thinks 22 (including Hamilton) Are Locks

Some tough choices coming up. Time to dump some salary and go with the cheaper more effective guys.

I think Belisle is a lock, most likely in the pen, but maybe he could sneak into the rotation (cut Milton!)
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I wish thet would send Milton to The mets or anyone and eat half his salary. I truly believe our rotation would be far better with his subtraction.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

If Matt Belisle doesn't come north with this team either A. He has gotten hurt between now and April 2nd or B. They still aren't serious about winning. With the way he has pitched, he's their 3rd best starter right now.

i know its only been a couple of innings but dustin hermensen has looked good.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Belisle will be the tragic figure of this spring.

He should be the team's third starter, but he'll be wasted in Louisville.

Shame on Wayne for continuing the Milton travesty.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

It's amazing how much they didn't need some of the past calendar year's acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Belisle will be the tragic figure of this spring.

He should be the team's third starter, but he'll be wasted in Louisville.

Shame on Wayne for continuing the Milton travesty.
    Wayne's saddled with an albatross and 8-10 Million for this year and he's supposed to just choke that one down? Frankly, that's absurd. I'm fine with moving him, but not at eating that huge salary.

I still doubt Cormier will be here. Also, another thought, is it possible that Bray starts in Louisville for now (ha, ha - I typed Indy first - showing my age, next I'll be saying Denver or Wichita or Nashville!).

This is not a bad problem to have - it means we've got some depth (even with the albatross contract).

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Wayne's saddled with an albatross and 8-10 Million for this year and he's supposed to just choke that one down? Frankly, that's absurd. I'm fine with moving him, but not at eating that huge salary.

I still doubt Cormier will be here. Also, another thought, is it possible that Bray starts in Louisville for now (ha, ha - I typed Indy first - showing my age, next I'll be saying Denver or Wichita or Nashville!).

This is not a bad problem to have - it means we've got some depth (even with the albatross contract).
    I wouldn't have a problem with them eating that contract at all.

What's worse? Spending 8.5 mil on guy that gets his head beat in every fifth day, or spending 8.5 mil and not letting him get his head beat in every fifth day, while giving a younger, more talented player a chance to shine?

He's only got one year left, so get him out of there.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

If eating 8.5 mil., or getting someone who's going to be 6-12 with a 5.50 ERA, or letting Belisle start for 400K and he goes 11-7 with a 4.00 ERA, I'll eat the 8.5 mil. Or I pay him 5 mil, and get someone to take him for 3.5 mil.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    If eating 8.5 mil., or getting someone who's going to be 6-12 with a 5.50 ERA, or letting Belisle start for 400K and he goes 11-7 with a 4.00 ERA, I'll eat the 8.5 mil. Or I pay him 5 mil, and get someone to take him for 3.5 mil.
    I would be happy to see Belisle put up those numbers over the season and it would be like we paid Belisle 8.9 million for the year. If we could find a sucker to take on some of that salary it would be phenomenal but I highly doubt it. I've said it before but Wang and the rest of the yankees staff is seriously over-rated
    and they have the cash to spend...

For a Level Playing Field

If eating 8.5 mil., or getting someone who's going to be 6-12 with a 5.50 ERA, or letting Belisle start for 400K and he goes 11-7 with a 4.00 ERA, I'll eat the 8.5 mil.
    A lot of IFS there. I do not want to belittle Matt Belisle, but why should I (a REDS fan) believe that he can go 11-7 with a 4.00 ERA?

Spending 8.5 mil on guy that gets his head beat in every fifth day, or spending 8.5 mil and not letting him get his head beat in every fifth day, while giving a younger, more talented player a chance to shine?
    I am not a big fan of Eric Milton (more specifically his contract!). However, I did notice that he went 8-8 last season. He did get his head beat in twice last year when he pitched with a knee that needed surgery in April and pitched with a bad arm in September. When I deduct those two starts, he had a 4.41 ERA last year. He also pitched 14 QS in 26 GS... 14 QS in 24 GS if we take out two injured starts. Also lost 3 games when he threw a QS. Also had 3 no decisions when he threw a QS. Only won 1 game when he did not pitch a QS. Heck, he might have been 11-5 or better with some support from the rest of the team.

And what if one of these youger players gets his head beat in every fifth day? Sure it costs less, but will it ruin the mentality of a guy that might need more seasoning? Will it cause the REDS FO to lose faith in a guy that might have shined in 2008 or 2009? That too could be a tough price to pay... like eating $9 mill to watch it happen.

As Sam Wyche might say to the REDS fans who think the REDS can eat $9 million left by the previous regime, "You don't root for the New York Yankees, you root for the Cincinnati REDS!" I don't blame the diehards for wanting rid of Milton and his contract, but not too many teams with that payroll eat that much money. It is the modern day economics of baseball and the bad signing of the previous regime. Come next year it will no longer be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's amazing how much they didn't need some of the past calendar year's acquisitions.
    I'd have to agree...the trades last year for Bray/Maj and Cormier were in a different reason to try and win a pennant.

But adding Stanton and Weathers, while not terrible contracts, but we had/have way cheaper alternatives without about same level of risk.

The Castro contract is another weird move IMO. Solved next to nothing excpet for spending an additional 1-2 million for no reason.

The Conine contract takes the cake in this whole scenario. What Wayne seen the need to sign him while facing Deno going AAA or Hopper for that matter is a complete waste of 2 million bucks.

All in all, in appears Wayne is sort of wasting about 11 million bucks (Lohse, Cormier, Castro, Conine and one of Stanton/Weathers) when we could have replaced those guys with Belisle, Ramirez, Burton, Shackelford, Salmon, Hopper and Deno all for each making less than 750k or league minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    All in all, in appears Wayne is sort of wasting about 11 million bucks (Lohse, Cormier, Castro, Conine and one of Stanton/Weathers) when we could have replaced those guys with Belisle, Ramirez, Burton, Shackelford, Salmon, Hopper and Deno all for each making less than 750k or league minimum.
    Perhaps, but in his defense, Wayne's owner has never complained about payroll. We fans are used to Lindner and Marge crowing about it, but Castellini never has.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?