Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Tournament Snubs

Biggest Tournament Snubs

My vote goes to Akron. 26-7 and lose to Miami in the MAC Championship on a last second shot and get neither NCAA tournament bid nor NIT bid.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/16886221.htm
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Biggest Tournament Snubs

I'm split between Drexel and Syracuse. Syracuse probably the bigger snub since they come from a better conference.

Akron not even getting into the NIT does suck though.

Syracuse and Kansas State
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I think Drexel got hosed the worst. They were phenomenal on the road, against some really tough teams.

For Syracuse, I don't feel as bad because they've been there a lot.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Syracuse probably the bigger snub since they come from a better conference.
    Syracuse would get taken more seriously if they played a single game outside of New York before the New Year. Their non-conference schedule was yet another cynical attempt to produce an artificially inflated RPI by playing 15 non-conference home games against cupcakes and the occasional reputable--but not too reputable--mid-major. They lost three games--two at home, one at MSG--against teams that did not make the NCAA field. Jim Boeheim is a whiner, and deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

ESPN's entire attitude toward the Mid-Majors this year was disgraceful. You get the definite idea that they would like to close off the whole tournament and have only BCS schools qualify.

(Jay Bilas, in particular, ought to be beaten senseless for his completely mean-spirited and inaccurate tirade against Xavier, while conveniently ignoring the eight or nine lower-seeded at larges--several of whom the Musketeers beat head-to-head.)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Syracuse would get taken more seriously if they played a single game outside of New York before the New Year. Their non-conference schedule was yet another cynical attempt to produce an artificially inflated RPI by playing 15 non-conference home games against cupcakes and the occasional reputable--but not too reputable--mid-major. They lost three games--two at home, one at MSG--against teams that did not make the NCAA field. Jim Boeheim is a whiner, and deserves no sympathy whatsoever.
    Exactly. When you refuse to travel and play someone in the OOC games, you can't complain if you let yourself fall to the bubble.

Heck, call a team like Texas and play them in Kansas City or something. Losing that game is better than beating 2 or 3 patsies.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post

ESPN's entire attitude toward the Mid-Majors this year was disgraceful. You get the definite idea that they would like to close off the whole tournament and have only BCS schools qualify.

(Jay Bilas, in particular, ought to be beaten senseless for his completely mean-spirited and inaccurate tirade against Xavier, while conveniently ignoring the eight or nine lower-seeded at larges--several of whom the Musketeers beat head-to-head.)
    In my book, you go 10-6 in this year's Big East...you deserve to be in the dance.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    In my book, you go 10-6 in this year's Big East...you deserve to be in the dance.
    This year's Big East was ranked 5th. A conference ranked fifth does not deserve 7 teams in the tourney.

Syracuse had the seventh best tourney resume in their conference. Compare them to Stanford, and Stanford's 18 wins are probably more impressive than Syracuse's 22.

SOS matters, and Syracuse just flat out didn't have an impressive SOS. Nothing about them screamed "tourney team" except for the name on the front of the jersey.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

That's the kind of attitude that keeps the mid majors down. Since when is a winning conference record the only pre-requisite to a tourney bid? Finishing over .500 in a conference that's not as tough as some may believe, while not playing a single out of conference game out of your home state doesn't impress much. Syracuse got the easier end of the Big East schedule this year thanks to their average finish last year. They only played Pitt and Georgetown once and got them both at home. Their only truly impressive road conference win was at Marquette 2 months ago.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You're exactly right.

And when you win IIRC 6 out of your last 8, you should also get in, with 22+ wins.

The NCAA just hates Jimmy B, that's all there is to it. Syracuse is the biggest snub by far.

Stanford didn't deserve to get in, and neither did Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The NCAA just hates Jimmy B, that's all there is to it.
    Oh boy.

Drexel is by far the worst snub this year. They do everything the committee says you should do play a tough schedule, win on the road and they still get passed over. They should have been in over Arkansas.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 03-12-2007 at 08:46 PM.

That's completely irrelevant: the committee looks at the big picture. If Syracuse had gone 7-9 in the BE, but in their out of conference schedule had played a Gonzaga-esque gauntlet and did well, they'd be in.

Boeheim is a complete coward when it comes to scheduling and I'm glad to see his gutless tactics punished.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    That's the kind of attitude that keeps the mid majors down. Since when is a winning conference record the only pre-requisite to a tourney bid?
    Some conferences have Georgetown and Pittsburgh. Other conferences have Bowling Green and Ball State.

When you go 10-6 against the Big East, you've proven you belong in the dance. Go that same .625 in the MAC, and you probably haven't.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I hate to be the one that points this out, but the Big East was way down this year. Several flagship programs--most notably Connecticut--fell off the map entirely and its bubble teams (Syracuse, WVa) generally possessed worse resumes that its bubble teams last season (Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Syracuse, DePaul).

Given the imbalanced schedule, I don't personally believe that going 10-6 categorically entitles you to a NCAA berth. In fact, I'm generally sick of power conference teams believing that a slightly above average conference mark means they have a royal entitlement to an NCAA selection.

Turn Off Ads?