Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Random question about contraction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Random question about contraction

If MLB contracted a team, what would happen to the players' contracts? Would they be instantly nullified, or would the owner of the team or even Major League Baseball be obligated to pay out the reaminder?

I'm sure there's something like this written into the CBA or even in the contracts, but maybe not. It's just late and I got to thinking... lol

Re: Random question about contraction

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    If MLB contracted a team, what would happen to the players' contracts? Would they be instantly nullified, or would the owner of the team or even Major League Baseball be obligated to pay out the reaminder?

I'm sure there's something like this written into the CBA or even in the contracts, but maybe not. It's just late and I got to thinking... lol
    From an FAQ on Infoplease.com:

How will the players be distributed?

• Players currently on the contracted teams' rosters will be dispersed through a draft. Although details of the draft have not been revealed, it is expected to be much like baseball's annual amateur draft, with teams selecting in reverse order of finish. Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh both finished a league-worst 62–100 in 2001.

I seriously doubt if you will any time soon if ever see a team eliminated. The players union will not allow the DH to be abolished because it will eliminate a job for one of their members. So no way will the players union go along with eliminating a whole team and the 25 union members that are employed.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That whole contraction thing was just baseball trying to muscle the players. I'm not saying it was wrong, just a negotiation tactic. Of couse, many of baseballs problems could be solved by simply contracting the Yankees.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

According to the new CBA there will be no contraction during the term of the agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I dont think contraction will happen. There are other markets out there such as Portland that would love to have a baseball team.

While 30 teams is too many I doubt it will happen, sadly.
    Go Gators!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I realize contraction probably won't be happening anytime soon(especially with what Chip mentioned), I was just sittin up at night and got to thinking, so this was just more of a hypothetical what if type of thing.

Didn't the current CBA give the owners the right to contract under certain conditions, or was that thr previous CBA?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Didn't the current CBA give the owners the right to contract under certain conditions, or was that thr previous CBA?

The last one.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?