Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards Pitching

Cards Pitching

I've been thinking a lot about the Cards new/weaker pitching staff. I looked at their spring numbers, and they are incredible.

Wainwright - 11.2 ip, 5 h, 0 r
    Looper - 11 ip, 10 h, 1 r
    Carpenter - 10.2 ip, 10 h, 3 r
    Reyes - 5.2 ip, 1 h, 1 r, 4 k
    Wells - 5 ip, 7 h, 0 r

This worries me slightly, though it is just spring and all are a sss (small sample size)

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/sta...s.jsp?c_id=stl

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards Pitching

Small sample size. I don't expect their rotation to be better than ours.

(I can't believe I just typed that!)
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If you look closely at their stats, they aren't striking out many, and they have been very BABIP lucky.

But it's a good start for them.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If you look closely at their stats, they aren't striking out many, and they have been very BABIP lucky.

But it's a good start for them.
    True. Wells goes 3 ip today with 3 k's to add to his previously posted numbers.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

For some reason I don't see Looper being very effective, think Danny Graves but worse
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Dave Duncan's a genius. For that reason alone you should always be scared of the Cardinals' pitching.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Carpenter will be a Cy Young candidate again. Wainwright and Reyes will be a good middle-of-the-rotation combo.

I see Looper getting hurt for a fairly long period of time.

Wells is Wells. Nothing to worry about.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Under the Knife said today that it's full speed ahead for Jason Isringhausen. For what that's worth.

I expect the Cards' entire pitching staff -- starters and bullpen -- to be significantly more effective than it was last year. They had an awful lot of injuries last year, the young ones are settling in, and I think people are underestimating what winning the World Series may do for their confidence and momentum.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think the Cardinals are poised to really dominate this season. They actually had a lot of stuff go wrong last year, and still stumbled to a Championship.

Think 95 wins.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I think the Cardinals are poised to really dominate this season. They actually had a lot of stuff go wrong last year, and still stumbled to a Championship.

Think 95 wins.
    I think they're going to have a lot of problems myself. their OF is pretty weak as is their starting pitching.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think they're going to have a lot of problems myself. their OF is pretty weak as is their starting pitching.
    I really hope so.

I don't have any real basis for my prediction, mind you.

I fear and loathe them, therefore they will win far more games than they should. My hatred fuels them. I've seen it happen.

I was at the Mothers Day Massacre, I was sitting two rows back when they pummelled Lizard mercilessly last season.....The list is too long to type out here, but trust me.

There is something cosmic going on between me and the St. Louis Cardinals.

On a side note, I was just joking when I wondered what TMBS meant. I just needlin' you.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Man Pills

The Cards' starting pitching should be nothing but fantastic. Their bullpen could be a real clown car outfit, however. As in, Cincinnati-clown-car-bad.

I look for the Cardinals to hover around .500 all season. Wells and Looper are nothing special, Reyes is overrated, Wainwright was good as a reliever but unproven as a starter, however, Carpenter is a stud.

Many are writing the Cardinals off because this year's rotation won't have many starters back. Weaver, Mulder and Marquis were awful last year and even Eric Milton would be an improvement. Even if you can't name any starter but Carpenter, the rotation will be better in 2007. For those that can name names, Adam Wainwright looks like a stud in the making in my opinion and Reyes will be a solid number 3. And Kip Wells will be the best pitching signing of the off-season at $4 Million.

Add in healthy years from Izzy, Edmonds, Eckstein, Rolen, etc. and this team looks like a 90+ win team to me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?