Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So...I'm at work with the Pirates...

So...I'm at work with the Pirates...

...and I can't help myself from reading Redzone or Reds.com while at work, haha. Of course I'm going to be a lifelong Reds fan, no matter where life leads me.

So, for those of you who followed the picture thread that I posted over a month ago, this thread will be an update of what it's like working for a division foe.

Upon starting my job a few weeks ago, I learned that some of the front office employees have a basketball team. After attending an "open gym" with them during my first week, I was asked to be a member of their team. So, we play in a city wide "league" that allows us to play on the Univ. of Pitt's court (Peterson Event Center). So, our first game was against WAMO, the city Hip Hop radio station. As fun as that sounds, it gets better. In two weeks our team get's to play at Peterson Event Center against a team made up of Steelers players. Rumors have it that Ike Taylor and Ben will be playing. I've actually played against/with Ben several times when I attended Miami. Anyway, it's been fun to have such an entertaining extracaricular activity to participate in. It helps to keep me active since I don't know many people up here beside my girlfriend. The bad news is that I have to wear a shirt that says, "Pirates BASKETBALL". Of course, that means I have to wear one while we are playing. Ahhh, oh well!

On a different note...

I hear a lot of talk about the Reds here at PNC Park. For example. Opening Day tickets went on sale last Saturday for the Pirates. A couple of employees "warned" me the night before the ON SALE event that "there will be a line of people tomorrow starting at 8am...it's craaazy!". Haha. That comment was followed up by another employee saying, "you can expect Opening Day tickets to sell out by the end of the day."

So, I proceeded to tell them that the Reds Opening day tickets sell out in 7 minutes. They were really blown away when I told them how fans line up as much as a week ahead of time to camp for Opening Day tickets at GABP. Apparently, to the people at PNC Park, selling out in one day is a milestone event. Fans show up daily wanting to buy Opening Day tickets for the Pirates here at PNC Park and are overwhelmed when it is explained to them that they sold out the day they went on sale.

I can't help but talk about our beloved Reds when people begin discussing the Pirates. So, don't worry guys, I'm holding down the fort and spreading lots of Reds spirit at the oh so beautiful PNC Park!
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 03-13-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So...I'm at work with the Pirates...

Interesting post from an interesting perspective. Keep 'em coming.

Will Big Ben be wearing a crash helmet? How do you like living in Pittsburgh so far vis a vie the neighborhoods, houseing, shopping, etc. compared to Cincinnati? Have you gotten a routine at work as yet? Have you met any of the players or coaches?

Rem

Well, I've spoken to some of the players in the past when they passed through GABP. None of the players are here yet...obviously, since Spring Training is underway. I wont begin my other job with MLB Advanced Media until the games begin. I'm excited to do that. So, I'll have a solid resume at the end of this season.

These guys up here constantly bash the Bengals and the legal troubles from last season. It gets old after a while. I reply to them with a comment in the likes of, "is Ben going to wear his motorcycle helmet on the field...or...is he going to wear his football helmet on the bike?" Haha....they quiet down after I release that one of them.

I was eating lunch earlier when I overheard a guy bashing GABP. He kept mentioned how it was garbage, blah blah.
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 03-13-2007 at 03:23 PM.

As for the city...well...

Pittsburgh is obviously a city that revolves around it's river(s), just like Cincinnati. Pittsburgh, due to having three rivers, has several hundred bridges in the city limits. That causes really bad traffic problems in the morning and rush hour times of day. It gets frustrating at times. I only live 13 miles south of the city and it takes up to an hour to get to/from work. The housing and shopping are quite similar to that of Cincinnati as well although Pittsburgh has several areas that appear old. So, other than hearing nonstop arrogance about the Steelers, this city is ok in my book. I'd love to eventually end up back with the Reds and in Cincinnati, but for the time being, I'm going to enjoy my stay.

Remember - Don't drink the water....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Senor Votto

Grounds Crew, if I could ask for a big favor could you please trip Big Ben while playing basketball? Maybe landing in an ackward position so he can't play next season

Turn Off Ads?