Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Javy Lopez?

  1. #1
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Javy Lopez?

    The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

    I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

    Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

    Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

    Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,218

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

    I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

    Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

    Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

    Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.
    You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.

  4. #3
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,427

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    Win the Division

  5. #4
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.
    He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  6. #5
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,572

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player
    Go Gators!

  7. #6
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player
    Marty said his bod reminds him of a young Cary Grant.:

  8. #7
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Yeah, I see your points, was just trying to stir some discussion.

    Actually, if we didn't have Conine already (who is going to cost us around 1.5-2 million ?? I forget), then grabbing Javy would make more sense.. He'd be a RH bat off the bench.

    That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    We have pitchers now?!
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..
    We have a guy in Triple A who kills lefties in Guieretez (Spelling), and he plays first base.

    The trade for Conine was nothing more than...well...Im still trying to figure it out.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

  10. #9
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    I dislike the Conine deal for two reasons. 1) we traded for Jeff Conine! and 2) we traded a human for Jeff Conine!
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: Javy Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.
    I second this notion.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25