Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Javy Lopez?

Javy Lopez?

The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Javy Lopez?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The guy was released by the Rockies today. He had a 750k non guaranteed contract.

I'd be tempted to sign him as insurance against Ross crashing and burning.

Yes, I realize Javy is in decline, he had Conine-like numbers last year (314 OBP, 412 SLG), but he is 4 years younger than Conine.

Not saying it is a great idea to sign him (not even sure if it's a good one), but I'd sure rather have him than Chad Moeller. I'm not even sure if he would accept a bench role on this team. At least Javy would be a passable pinch hitter. He might end up as a better option than Ross (who I don't have a lot of confidence in).

Yeah, I know one should not expect much from a 36 year old catcher, but likewise, I'm not comfortable handing the job full time to Ross and hoping he repeats last years numbers.
    You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You answer the question right there yourself. Valentin and Moeller are better insurance policies I think. Lopez juiced up a few years ago and got a big contract and has been pretty worthless since. I'm not sure how much he caught last year either, and how much he dh'd.
    He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So is Conine, Lopez looks like our kind of player
    Marty said his bod reminds him of a young Cary Grant.:

Yeah, I see your points, was just trying to stir some discussion.

Actually, if we didn't have Conine already (who is going to cost us around 1.5-2 million ?? I forget), then grabbing Javy would make more sense.. He'd be a RH bat off the bench.

That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's another reason I dislike the Conine deal. Wayne panics and absolutely has to have a RH bench bat and actually trades two minor leaguers for Conine, when there's plenty of washed up guys that are starting to be available right now. It would be different if Conine was the piece to put us over the top.. but come on..
    We have a guy in Triple A who kills lefties in Guieretez (Spelling), and he plays first base.

The trade for Conine was nothing more than...well...Im still trying to figure it out.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I dislike the Conine deal for two reasons. 1) we traded for Jeff Conine! and 2) we traded a human for Jeff Conine!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    He's a terrible catcher, and trust me, I saw way too much of him trying to catch last year. And since he really doesn't hit much anymore, he doesn't seem like a good bet to be of any use at all.
    I second this notion.

Turn Off Ads?